Crazy? Yes! Stupid? Yes! San Jose to Alaska

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by grae313, Jun 15, 2008.

1. TheNoid

TheNoid Young punk

Oddometer:
    The crash made me much more cautious with my own riding, but I had a great time. Getting that low to the ground as a passenger is pretty weird though since you have no control and the freedom to look around and see the pavement right there. But it was pretty fun - I know you two are good riders and had been on that road, at the same pace, with and without passengers a million times so I wasn't worried. It was so fun, in fact, I almost got on board with Jessie and opted to get a sportbike this fall...damn Ithaca weather.

Yar. Glad you've been watching our thread. I do feel bad about ditching my bike... It was just much less expensive at that point to fly home and we wanted to be with our families more before moving in August. But we're definitely going through withdrawals a bit. Every time we hear something two-wheeled coming we get distracted and watch toward the source very intently:
    [​IMG]

:nod

Glad you've liked it. And yes, Mark is a very, very cool guy. So's his brother.

So far the only adv people I've got to know a bit in person have been Brice here in the Bay Area, Steve in Montana, and Mark in AK. Each of them - plus their family and friends - has been nothing but generous and helpful. I'm really looking forward to going to some rallies.
  2. Beez

Beez Given to fly

Oddometer:
    Like I said in your thread in the northeast forum, go to the CroMag campout in Sept and you'll meet a whole bunch of FFs. :uhoh

Also heated grips and electric clothing will extend your riding season. Also consider a dualsport with a 2nd set of wheels, 21/18" with knobbies and 17/17" street. Then youv'e got a street legal dirtbike and a supermoto for just a little more money and no extra insurance policy. :deal
  3. old school

old school FUBAR

Oddometer:
    +1

New York is a great place for riding, and the Finger Lakes are a great home base for a rider, whether more into sportbiking or dual sporting. Much of the roads and the geography throughout the Finger Lakes are top-notch, and the bonus is that the Adirondacks, the Thousand Islands, VT, NH, NYC, and Boston are all within a few hours not to mention all the other cool, obscure little places that you'll discover during your local travels. And most years the riding season easily runs from late April until early November; some years it is longer.

I gather that you like wine, Jesse? Just wait till you discover the wine tours.... :1drink (best NOT done on your bike, of course!). Microbrews are a little harder to come by (the Finger Lakes is a wine MECCA), but if you look you'll find plenty of small pubs that have great character and some really good beers. :beer

Dan and Jessie, thanks for an AWESOME ride report. I just came across it this morning and spent that past couple hours reading it. What an adventure! :thumb Made me a bit nostalgic...trips like that only get harder to pull off the more time passes.

I live just a few minutes from Ithaca (in Canandaigua), but I'm moving to North Carolina in mid-August. Otherwise I would have loved to show you two around the Finger Lakes a bit.

You will love Ithaca. Good luck!
  4. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

I hear an older KLR calling your name.............softly, sweetly.:lol3 Cheaply.:evil

I'd not checked in with your report for a week or so, and I'm really pleased to see that you're home safe and sound, but a little sorry that it was via aluminum wings.

I've really enjoyed reading about your travels. Sometimes it's really cool to look at motorcycling from the perspective of the fresh-faced new rider. It's revitalizing to those of us who've done this for years and might have lost touch with some of the wonder and joy that comes with new discoveries. Thanks for taking us along, and the very best of luck to you both in NY.:clap
  5. Kath

Kath 2wheelmom

Oddometer:
    Just.....wow.

Love to you both!!! :clap
  6. K80JIM

K80JIM Super Tanker

Oddometer:

O.K.........I give up. What the hell is that thing?
  7. XLEnduroMan

XLEnduroMan Husky Head.

Oddometer:
    I found your 2's RR last Saturday night. I was up until 4 in the morning reading, and longing for more. Your RR was what got me to reg. here at AR. (I had visited many times before though). The read had me laughing. It had me worrying. It had me looking forward to the next page, just like a good book. It was awesome! The fellow AR members on your journey that were there to lend and hand is what the world needs more of! I was glad to know you 2 made it to your destination, and home again, safe and sound. I was sad to see it end. BUT WAIT! It hasn't ended, the next chapter is yet to be. :clap

In regards to future bikes for you 2. I don't think anyone has mentioned a Suzuki DR650. You can get fat 5 gallon tanks for them to put on the miles. You can factory lower them and they come in 2 different colors to choose from.

It was a joy reading your tale. May your futures be as grand as your adventure was to read. :thumb
  8. AnthonyD

AnthonyD Nothing to see here...

Oddometer:

Finger Lakes wine tours ROCK! We've gotten limo-buses a couple times instead of driving, which makes it even more fun. At least one winery (Wagner Vineyard) also has a brewery on site too, btw.
  9. Wheedle

Wheedle I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer:
    Awsome trip y'all....
  10. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chupacabra?
  11. TheNoid

TheNoid Young punk

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Funny you mention that, I've just been looking into KLR's, DR650's, and Husqvarna TE610's, leaning more toward the DR at the moment.
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loves my DR.

[​IMG]

It's a travelin' machine.

[​IMG]
  13. Doug.Gentry

Doug.Gentry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh man to have that critter back in the 60s... With people tripping acid... pull this little guy out of your pocket..

Drop this little guy on Stan the acid heads lap and let out a squeal! OH MY GAWD!!! RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNN..... Oh SHIT IT'S GONNA EAT YOU!!!!!

record the reaction for either Americas most funnest videos or outrageous 911 calls..

Either way you're gonna be a winner!:rofl
  14. Grad

Grad Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed your report, the photos were fantastic and the casual pace is a nice departure from many of the 1000 mile/day reports you see on here. Good luck with your move and enjoy your remaining days as a student. I picked up my first bike, a 1991 GS500, during my first year as a Ph.D. student at the University of Tennessee. I thought it was just going to be cheap transportation, but nearby Deals Gap quickly showed me how much fun a bike can be. I owned several sportbikes over the coming years, and each one was special in its own way. Having just turned 30, I am looking forward to many more bikes, and I am sure each one will take my breath away in its own little way. I will say this though, if you were mainly impressed by the acceleration of those bikes, just about any bike you choose for your next ride will put a stupid grin on your face...they only get faster after the Ninja 250 :D

Ride safe, and when you all decide to come check out the incredible riding of the Appalachians, send me a PM.
  15. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking me on your epic ride. I know what you mean about the rain. I just got back from a ride along many of the same roads and even pictures as good as yours cant show the beauty of the land. Good luck at school, one of my best friends has a physics degree from Cornell. Its a great school in some beautiful countryside. :freaky
  16. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Simply awesome!:clap

Thanks for taking us along.
  17. BikerDave

BikerDave Greybeard Rider

Oddometer:
    :clap Great ride report!! My son is also heading for Cornell next year for grad school, he's an Electrical Engineering / Mathmatics major. Great riding in that area , you should enjoy it. If you ever get the chance to head north into Vermont I'd be glad to show you some good roads around here!!
  18. bigequip

bigequip Ol' fart riding

Oddometer:
    Great report!! I followed your eport every day for 3-4 weeks. The best to ya!! :D
  19. grae313

grae313 Idiosyncratic Misanthrope

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys! It's cool to see people still checking out our ride and enjoying the report :thumb

By the way, the animal is an aye-aye :D
  20. rednas

rednas Long timer

Oddometer:
    From one SJSU student to another, great ride report. This is really inspiring me to do one of my own.