Creepiest experience while camping or riding

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Wreckman, Nov 9, 2013.

1. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I heard comments such as "It's a huge spider!" and "wait, it has too many legs!" so I certainly hope they were not referring to any of my anatomy!
    shuswap1, Wierdrider and bananachunks like this.
  2. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Back in the 80s I used to camp along the eel river in nor cal as it is a great summer camp location with dispersed camping along the river.
    On this day as soon as we arrived the dogs began acting strangely defensive where usually they would immediately head for the river to play.
    We took note of this and proceeded to do some target shooting and a swim or two but still the dogs (pit bulls) were strangely uneasy.
    Really uneasy, heads down growling while looking into the forest.
    As by this time my girl was really bothered by the way the dogs were acting that we threw our crap in the 4 runner and slowly made our way back to the road.
    I downplayed the event but tucked my revolver between the seat and console and kept my eyes open till we got back to the road
    Turns out that a girl was murdered and partially dismembered that weekend at that spot.

We have not been back since.
    Uke, DaFoole, MickeyDee and 10 others like this.
  3. powderzone

powderzone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jesus, I think we can shut this thread down now. I’ll likely not forget this one! Fack!
    steved57 and Dale402 like this.
  4. mlbraptor

mlbraptor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn....
  5. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread got me into the "Missing 411" stories and similar. If you haven't heard of those look them up. Some weird shit happens out there.
    Yellow Dog, Fosters and 2wingdoc05 like this.
  6. Red-hungarian

Red-hungarian Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was there a hook and severed arm on the passenger door handle when you got home?
  7. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Years ago I went through a bout of sleep walking. Usually I'd wake up standing in the hallway, with no idea why. Worst time was waking up, standing, in a park next to my apartment complex.

During that time, I went camping near Lake Arrowhead with some friends, and on the second night, I woke up in the woods, standing. It was pitch black, and I had no idea where I was, how far from the campsite, or how to orient myself. And, of course, I was barefoot. Nothing I could do but clear some branches and stuff and sit down and wait until dawn to get my bearings. Took a while, but my friends found me after they realized I had disappeared.
    Uke, DaFoole, rrpaigs22 and 11 others like this.
  8. Nick MN

Nick MN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow... I feel sorry for you to have to go through that but thanks for sharing!
  9. lestersoto

lestersoto n00b

Oddometer:
    good post!
    Dale402 likes this.
  10. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    Creepiest thing while riding has been reading this thread in my tent.
    steved57, tiki01, Spongehead and 16 others like this.
  11. ADV Wanderer

ADV Wanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't forget... if you can't hear anything in the woods, its because predators don't eat if they're noisy! :lol3

Also, if you have a mobile signal you're doing it wrong! haha :kumbaya

Seriously though, enjoy!
  12. TomsFunMachine

TomsFunMachine Apprentice Adventure

Oddometer:
    I pull off of a secondary road into a gravel parking lot, to use a porta-poti I had spied. No other cars in the lot, no one around. It's a spot that fishermen park their cars, to fish the aqueduct on weekends.

The porta-john's door was partially open and unlocked, I pull it open, and saw...

I kid you not I'll remember this until the day I die:

A man, standing, back to the door and me, clad in nothing but a filthy dirty white lace negligee. High vee cut up the back, hairy butt-cheeks hanging out, he turns his head enough that I could see he had full beard...

Startled, I said 'excuse me' and let the spring loaded door slam shut. I'm think "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?"

I walk back to my car, sit there for a minute, trying to process and make sense of what I just saw. I'm looking around for a car, a bicycle, something, or the 'candid camera' crew to pop out of the bushes with Alan Fundt laughing, or Ashton Cutcher telling me "You've just been punked" or something.

No car in the lot, so many questions... I just shook my head and drove off, baffled, mumbling to myself.
    Spongehead, WDG, Macho Man2 and 10 others like this.
  13. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Damn, it was you! Scared me so bad, I split a turd with the g-string! Victoria's Secret wouldn't take it back. Dammit! :lol3
    borderlinebob, wasproxy, WDG and 13 others like this.
  14. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    That's scarier than most things I've read here.
  15. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on my experience of picking up a very odd hitchhiker in the middle of nowhere White Mountain National Forest New Hampshire and his story of how there are hundreds of "gypsy-like" homeless people who permanently move around and live deep in the national forests, I am not surprised you found an odd dude in the middle of nowhere. I think many of these stories can be attributed to these forest dwellers.
    Turismo9999 and tennistime99 like this.
  16. tennistime99

tennistime99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably some bigfoot stories as well. Hairy, stinky dude slinking around the camp trying to get you to go away...
    Addapost likes this.
  17. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Future camping trip. Canceled. Covid has nothing to do with it.
  18. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    “I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune
  19. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have nothing to fear, but fear itself. -- FDR

DOGSROOT likes this.
  20. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My creepy experience:

My buddy John and I take our sporting bets very seriously. Our bets are usually not monetary but often involve public humiliation. Once we may have gone a little too far. The loser would have to wear his wife's dirty white negligee in public for a few hours. Well crap, I lost this one. John showed a little compassion, allowing me to just wear it in the car - didn't want to subject me to a possible indecent exposure arrest. We were driving along the country roads, drinking some beer. Him continually chuckling, me trying to reduce my embarrassment by getting slowly drunk. Suddenly, I really had to pee. There was a fishing turnout with a porta-pottie up ahead. He pulled in and I jumped out and quickly ran to the pottie, just in case someone happened to be around. As I started to pee, I heard his car driving away - that SOB. Luckily, it immediately returned. Then he opens the damn door on the pottie. I think to myself, "Real funny John. Open the door so everyone can see the negligee guy." I turned around and there stood this creepy, pervert dude. He looked me up and down, practically undressed me with his eyes. I felt violated. I slammed the door shut. I guess he got the message, he sat there for a minute, then drove away. John returned a few minutes later. I asked if he had just set me up. He played innocent and to this day, doesn't believe that it really happened. Our bets are now an even $20, no matter what.