Creepiest experience while camping or riding

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Wreckman, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    I know this isn't the "scariest experiences with public toiletry" thread, but please bear with me on this: There's no way I could top this one. Nor would I even try. The worst I've experienced was when I went to get a wiring harness for something in an old car at a junkyard near Rossville Blvd in Chattanooga. Can't remember the place exactly but I remember for some reason I had to go to the bathroom. Like, nearly doubled over trying to hold it go to the bathroom, and there was a Citgo station nearby. "Restrooms around back" on big sign out front. I said I was going to use the restroom and my buddy just shook his head and said, "Nope. I'd hold it." Well, screw him, I gotta go. I hauled ass around back and found the restroom. Little separate building with the push-open door. Pitch black inside. I'm expecting the worst, so I take a deep breath and shove the door open with my foot, step inside and flick the light on as the door slams shut. Shit. Literally shit. EVERY SURFACE. The sink. The walls. The toilet. The (empty) paper towel dispenser. The sink handles. The faucet. OH HELL. The door handle. All over it too! WTF????? It was like someone had shit in a bucket in the bathroom for 6 weeks then dropped a grenade in the bucket and ran.

I rinsed my hand off best I could at a water hose out back. I never got the puke out of my shirt though.

Now, as for the negligee man. That reminds me of something my dad told me when I was young. We were going to see his cousins on Sand Mtn in Alabama, and I asked him why we didn't go down a certain road. He said, "Son, there's some woods you never go into without a pistol on you, and there's woods you never go into without the pistol already in your hand. That there....well, there's some woods you never go into without your finest lace panties on and prayin' they like what they see.
  2. Bagooba

Bagooba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Waayyyy back in the 70's went for a ride up in the "Hills" of Council Bluffs IA. It was me, my brother & my dad, there was also a family friend with his 2 boys. Us boys were all on XR 75's and the Dad's were on enduro bikes of some flavor. I was probably about 10 or 11 yrs old and brother was 12 or 13 yrs old. We were riding up in the hills and came across a pond where the local teenagers/hippies went swimming or skinny dipping. When we got there, there were a couple of girls nude sunbathing up on a flat area a couple hundred feet away from the pond. 4 pre-teen boys seeing 2 naked girls!! We were like moths to a street light! We just rode circles around these girls until they finally got up and ran to the pond, we could have been circling for 1 minute or 1 hour, don't remember that but I do remember seeing my first live naked girl!! Not creepy to us but most definitely creepy to the girls!!
  3. Effendi

Effendi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is to underline your story and not really a creepy story: We had a particular road in the town where the hookers would hang around waiting for business. One night I hear a call on the radio that there is a problem down there and one of my colleagues picks it up and drives off to investigate. Five minutes later there is an "officer in trouble" call from my colleague, so as is standard everyone on duty drops what they are doing and hurtles over at high speed. I arrive second and there is my colleague being held in a head lock by a "woman", and the colleague who arrived first trying to get him free, I rush over to assist whilst others are still arriving.

The "woman" was 6'6" tall, wearing a mini skirt, blouse, fishnets and high heels..........with hairy tattooed arms and a beard. He was shitfaced, raving drunk, and that bloody big it took 6 of us to try and hold him down to handcuff him, then the handcuffs were too small for his wrists (mild panic set in). The duty area van arrived with a few more guys in it and they tied his arms behind his back using the emergency tow rope that was on board.....so that was 10 of us all together dealing with this version of the Hulk. That was back in the days when all British cops had was a truncheon (google it) and handcuffs, no gas, no night sticks, no tasers - late 70's.

Turned out he was an oil rig worker who liked dressing in wimmins clothes, he had just arrived back onshore and got absolutely shit faced and went for a walk, ended up on the wrong road and it all went downhill from there.
    Wierdrider and Macho Man2 like this.
  4. TomsFunMachine

TomsFunMachine Apprentice Adventure

Oddometer:
    ...Damn, it was you! Scared me so bad, I split a turd with the g-string! Victoria's Secret wouldn't take it back. Dammit!...

...he opens the damn door on the pottie. I think to myself, "Real funny John. Open the door so everyone can see the negligee guy." I turned around and there stood this creepy, pervert dude. He looked me up and down, practically undressed me with his eyes. I felt violated. I slammed the door shut. I guess he got the message, he sat there for a minute, then drove away. John returned a few minutes later. I asked if he had just set me up. He played innocent and to this day, doesn't believe that it really happened. Our bets are now an even $20, no matter what....

OMG you guys have me in stitches, bwahahahahahahahaha!
  5. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know exactly what this was...

Last month, early August, a friend and I were on the NEBDR. We had been staying in busy campgrounds but on the last night the timing of our ride left us in the middle of nowhere in the Catskills so we decided to “boondock” camp in the woods just off the trail. There were no houses for many miles in all directions. The terrain was very hilly and deeply wooded. The dirt road we were on was cut on the side of a mountain and oriented north south. The terrain to the west (right side of the road) went steeply up hill and the terrain to the east (left side of the road) went steeply downhill. We saw an overgrown jeep track head up off the main road and we took that. A few hundred yards up we found a flat clear spot in the trees. We parked the bikes and started to eat and set up camp.

After about 15 minutes all of a sudden I clearly heard the sound of wood hitting wood. This was a warm summer night. There was not a single breath of air moving yet there it was, “knock, knock, knock”. Three rhythmic, intentional raps of wood on wood. It sounded to me like the wood doing the hitting was dense and solid like a baseball bat and the wood being hit was hollow and larger. It had an echoey quality to it, some resonance to each rap. But the eeriest part was the rhythm of the 3 strikes. They were clear and distinct with perfectly equal timing between each strike. They were unhurried, maybe a second between each rap. They were not loud or powerful, they were not meant to have to carry very far. I immediately froze and stopped setting up my hammock. They had come from uphill. Not far, maybe 100 yards or so is my best guess. I specifically listened for any other kind of noise, movement in the undergrowth, wind, tree branches rubbing, breathing, grunts, anything. There was nothing. After listening for 50 or 60 seconds and hearing nothing I went back to setting up my hammock. Two or three minutes later it happened again, four knocks this time, “knock…. knock…. knock…. knock” Same exact sound quality and volume. Same rhythm. Same location. Same INTENTION. “WTF??” I asked my buddy if he heard it and he said yes but hadn’t been paying attention and wasn’t very impressed. Again I stopped to listen for anything else. Nothing. No sounds at all. Five more minutes go by and I hear it again, third and final time. This time it is in the exact opposite direction, 100 or so yards DOWNHILL from us. Three wood knocks downhill from us. I had been listening and looking very closely the whole time, NOTHING had moved through the woods from 100 yards uphill to 100 yards downhill from us. That was the last time it happened. You tell me, what was that?
    Macho Man2, Nick MN, jay547 and 5 others like this.
  6. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Chupacabra, Cabron!!!
    Yeti2ride likes this.
  7. Spongehead

Spongehead Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Don't know what it was, but I know I would have packed up and found another spot...:)
  8. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bobo was stalking you!
  9. Ranger Jim

Ranger Jim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to the BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization) that's one way that Sasquatch (AKA: Darryl) communicates with his buddies.:-)
  10. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woodpecker! Are there any Pileated Woodpeckers in the area? Much bigger and louder than a common redheaded variety.

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

11. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Baba Jaga!
    Franque likes this.
  12. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Though I'm familiar, it's not something most Americans would know. He didn't mention a hut with chicken feet.
    spokester likes this.
  13. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost certainly that's what it was!
  14. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    No visual at all, so no proof against it being Baba Jaga! ;)

There are atleast a few birds in the northern hemisphere that could do that. Birds would make the experience less creapy, so I’d stick to the BJ / BFRO approach anyway. Maybe Big foot and Baba have something going on?
    trc.rhubarb and Jedi2Rider like this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    This:
    [​IMG]
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  16. dnunley

dnunley veni,vidi,vici

Oddometer:
    Yeah woodpecker. Fits intermittent and rhythm and widely different locations. These can sure sound like someone beating on a drum at times.
  17. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  18. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    You know exactly what this was...It's called a peckerwood. and he was slapping his extremely large and hard pecker against a hollow tree. It's supposedly the mating call of the extremely reclusive peckerwood, cousin to the peckerhead.
  19. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Richard Cranium!
    WDG and Uke like this.
  20. Jill Miraflores

Jill Miraflores tierra encantada Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pileated woodpecker? Or, better yet, an Ivory Bill, Woodpecker!