Crete 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Baggi'tard, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sitting around inside in winter is deadly for trip planning. The good idea fairy is flying all over the house. Laura found a new scenic site to see that was close to where we were expecting to stop the first night (it's the only "unplanned" one we are doing this time). Ha Gorge near Pacheia Ammos. It is pretty impressive.

ha.jpg ha2.jpg

Meanwhile that means I get to do at least a little bit of route editing. Shortened up a bit of the loop (red track) we were taking around Heraklion the first day so that we can get near the gorge the first day, if not complete it.

Crete2020.jpg

But of course that means I also get more time to do the planning I like to do...:photog

Cretan-Stout_archive.png solobeer-gallery4-1.jpg
    Buildzall, Ginger Beard and ibar132 like this.
  2. steved57

steved57 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report - keep it coming
  3. stollenvernichter

stollenvernichter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report links, I'll check those out. Glad I won't have to be on a worn out TTR 250 though. :-)
  5. Quitou

Quitou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've spent the last 90 days in Greece. The off season is amazing. We're the only "tourists" on our little island which often sees 15,000 in peak season.
    DavidM1 and Suncoaster like this.
  6. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Nice! Are you posting anything on your travels? We only get to travel in the "off season" and for the past three years Greece/Balkans have been a fantastic destination for us. So few people, so "untouristic" if you want it to be. And then just stunning riding, scenery, food, history, and archaeology.
  7. Quitou

Quitou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No trip posting. Ironically, I'm an adventure travel journalist and came here to finish my writing projects from other places in the world. We're on Patmos just as a work retreat. Frankly, we walk everywhere, and it's great. I travel 200 days a year and need this place to chill out. In a month I head back to Nepal where I have a motorcycle touring company and drinking water philanthropy. Plenty of riding and travel ahead.
  8. mille997

mille997 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have a look at Spinalonga and the lassithi plateau Spent a few weeks on Crete the riding will be excellent.
  9. peinasmenoslykos

peinasmenoslykos n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello friend , i am from greece hope you will have a great time in crete its a fantastic place!
    Only note to avoid drunk drivers as they tend to drink a lot of raki and then drive some super charged hi-lux agrotic vehicles like hell!! Keep an eye on them and let them pass!!

Also very smart idea to remove the inner liner from the jacket as most jackets liners are useless, i used to wear a simple jacket with down under my motorcycle jacket. Is this columbia jacket able to hold the cold? What is the model? Columbia Wind Protector with omni-heat omni-wind?

Good rides and keep an eye open there!

10. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Hope to have a great time too, we have been loving Greece. This will be our third trip in three years to Greece/Balkans, so I have been learning the "rules of the road" (or lack there of). :D

Indeed our Columbia jackets are the fleece/windproof type, so a perfectly good insulation layer for me for the temps expected (40s-70s F seems about normal for March). They are the jackets I showed in the video I posted above. Laura will still have her Aerostitch heated vest too.
  11. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Bought a new Wolfman Rainier tank bag from a fellow inmate here on ADV. Will be better for longer trips than the Blackhawk tank bag I use for day rides. Certainly carry more stuff on longer trips. So made a video with some of the stuff I like and need to have for long trips and that I typically have available in my tank bag. Usually if we stop someplace to visit a site or eat I just take off the tank bag and take it with then we have everything we would need like money, sunglasses, phones, chargers, etc.