CRF1000AT: bouncing front wheel at low speeds

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by PhaseShifter, Oct 1, 2017.

1. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had an '07 KTM 990 ADV that had the same slow frequency bounce as the O/P describes. It would go away completely at about 37 mph. It did it with 2 different Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires. I had it balanced at two different shops then tried balance beads but never got rid of the bounce and just lived with it. Finally before I sold the bike I put new Shinko 705s on it and the bounce was gone. The only thing I can think of is that I used the really heavy duty tubes in the Scorpion tires and just put a standard tube in the Shinko. I had no stiction problems on that fork.
    Motociclo likes this.
  2. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have just replaced tyres. Using same again E07.
    Before I replaced front tyre, I put on jig to check balance. Was out of balance. Rim runs true etc. Tyre very worn. 15000km. Had previously rebalanced, but that was very early in tyres life.
    Will see how this one goes. May need rebalancing every 5000km to account for wear.
  3. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone with bouncing (hopping) issues tried Dyna Beads?

Per website:
    Here's some of the advantages to Dyna Beads®

• Increased tire life
    • Eliminate tire vibration
    • Eliminate tire hopping
    • Eliminate tire cupping
    • Eliminate "clumping" problems .
    • Totally Lead-Free product!
    • No weights to corrode or damage expensive rims
    • No dusty, messy powders to deal with.
    • No rebalancing required
    • Reusable
    • No weights to fall off
    • Saves you money by extending tire life!
    • Saves you money by eliminating rebalancing!
    Properly balanced tires run cooler, place less stress on suspension components, and can even increase fuel mileage.
  4. Motociclo

Motociclo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The dyno bead website is all convincing, but I am too cynical to believe.
    Plenty of reviews and opinions for both camps.
    If wheel balances ok on stand, but still hops in use, then tyre is just out of round.
    Don't think beads or weights will solve that one.
    mcmann likes this.
  5. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, reviving an old thread. Africa Twin 2019 here, same front end bounce between 40 and 70km/h. I put 7000km on the stock tires and it was there, now I have shinkos 804/805s which I've loved on all the bikes I've owned. Front end bounce is still there. Anyone was successful in resolving it? I'm wondering if I should spend on the forks or buy a set of tubeless wheels. Considering how expensive that would be, I'd like to be sure it will solve the problem :)
  6. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    I can confirm my 19" Tubeless rim never bounced whereas the OE rim did with several different tires.
    But it has magically gone away now and my front hasn't imitated Mexican jumping beans for a good year now.
    Can't pinpoint what it was i did that made it go away but,
    I did change the fork oil and checked all the settings- they were out of wack from day one.
    Another suggestion is to mount the front wheel exactly as the service manual dictates.
    Cheers!
  7. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've read about some going through the service manual process, without seeing any changes. Also mine bounced from day one on stock tires. 7000km tires were replaced with a different kind of tire, by a different mechanic and it didn't change anything. I'm really thinking its the rim or something with the forks (mine don't appear to be sticking as others have reported).
  8. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I had the bounce on my 2017 and had the rim replace under warranty all good now
    Scrammer007 likes this.
  9. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might give that a try. If they dont want to, I might just buy an Alpina front wheel and see if that addresses it.
  10. PhaseShifter

PhaseShifter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did i mentioned the entire fork was replaced by HONDA ? problems are solved now !
    DCTFAN likes this.
  11. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you had the front end bounce and it wasnt the wheel but the forks the problem?
  12. PhaseShifter

Oddometer:
    Yep!
  13. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I booked an appointment at the dealer to have the front wheel checked. I checked the rear wheel on my Pitbull stand and you can quite easily see where the welds are, wheel is perfectly round until it hits the weld. Will see what they say. I really hope its the wheel and not the forks...
  14. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wheel bounce was the same after I swapped the ATAS forks, brand new, so it's not them. Front wheel is very hard, if not impossible to balance. I think the front rims are the issue.
  15. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hum, interesting. Yesterday I raised the rear wheel on my stand and you can very clearly and easily spot where the rim is welded. I suspect it does the same up front. Large tolerances seems to be the issue indeed. The rim is perfectly round, then you see the weld go by and its no longer round.
  16. Scrammer007

Scrammer007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I went to the dealer they checked the wheel on the balancer and the rim does move up and down a bit. They called Honda and they said they never replaced a rim under warranty before. Which is strange cause you're in BC so there's at least one owner who would have had it replaced in Canada. The dealer is supposed to call them back and insist on having it replaced...fingers crossed.
  17. Zave

Zave ******

Oddometer:
    I think the dealer might have used the spokes as an excuss
  18. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    can you elaborate on that?
    did they change the outer tubes that have a tendency to wear?
    or the whole thing (outers, inners, damper, spring, the lot)?

I only had the outer tubes replaced on my 2017, with 2018 regular AT tubes (which will wear anyways) , along with new bushings, guides, new fork seals and dust seals, and 2L of oil.
  19. PhaseShifter

Oddometer:
    inner+outer+bushings+oil+seals
    had to pay the professional HyperPro guy myself, the dealer otherwise charges me labour anyway
  20. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine did it with Pirelli Rally STRs but not with Bridgestone A41s. Both times tires were balanced to perfection by me. Didn't make a difference on the Rallys.