CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. hvMULEwiltrvl

hvMULEwiltrvl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All

I did a spring service on my 2008 CRF230L this past weekend. I live in a state that requires an annual state safety inspection. All of the lights work on my bike but I cannot get the hazard lights to come on. I recall that pressing and holding the indicator button in for a small amount of time turned the hazards on. I have tried this and I do not get the hazard lights to come on. Is there something that I am missing? Is there a specific hazard light relay that could be bad?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.
  2. Eyebooger

Eyebooger scrutinologist

Oddometer:
    I wasn’t aware that there was a hazard function. I think they are just turn indicators.
  3. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with eyebooger, I wasn't aware of a hazard light option. Now you got me curious! I'm gonna go try it in half a minute
  4. hvMULEwiltrvl

hvMULEwiltrvl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I bought the bike used and did not get an owner's manual for the bike. I did pick up an after-market manual on the bike but have not searched through that in regards to the hazard lights.

If y'all get a chance to check out your bikes in regards to the hazards, I would appreciate your feedback.

BTW - last April I bought a new CRF 250 Rally to keep the 230 company in the garage. The bikes are very different for the roughly 20 cc difference. If I had to keep only one, it would be the 230 as I ride it a lot in the woods and I also do a fair amount of canoeing and I use the 230 as my shuttle vehicle. I just carry the 230 on a hitch mount carrier and cable it up at the take out, then float/paddle to it. It is a good bit lighter than the 250 so loading it on the carrier is easier.
    My wife and I also try to make a couple of music festivals in our van every year so the bike comes along as the grocery getter or just a back road explorer to break up the day.

I am fortunate that I can keep both and have no plans to get rid of either. They are both loads of fun.

Thanks again
  5. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @hvMULEwiltrvl I've had my turn signal switch assembly apart to do a cleaning and lube and there is no circuitry on my bike for a hazard type function. Just for kicks I tried holding the switch in and nothing. But you did have me curious! Here's a pic of my bike on a carrier I just bought last month. This is way easier than loading into the bed of the truck.

IMG_1007.JPG
  6. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    One of the advantages of a street legal bike is that you can ride it to off-road destinations.

[​IMG]
    Bitingdog likes this.
  7. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, and my bike is street legal, but all the good places to ride are hours from where I live.
    enduro16 likes this.
  8. hvMULEwiltrvl

hvMULEwiltrvl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tippit

Thanks for having a look at the switch. I have an appointment for this Friday to get the 230, 250, and my truck inspected. I have had this shop do the inspection previously so I think all will be well.

The carrier is much easier to use than the truck bed especially with the electric start. I just start the bike, stand beside it and let the bike power itself on and off the carrier.

Again thank you for your help.
  9. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The road behind our house:

[​IMG]
    efendi, Bitingdog and Eyebooger like this.
  10. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Oh, and a ways further up the hill:

[​IMG]
    efendi and Bitingdog like this.
  11. Wyldelee

Wyldelee n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the overall length of the CRF230L ? I want to make sure it will fit in the bed of my truck.
  12. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    81 inches with the front wheel straight; 79 inches with the front wheel in the full left position.
  13. VPS1

VPS1 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, looking for a 230L for my wife, send me a message if you are thinking of selling! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  14. FL_Tech

FL_Tech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tires! Got an IRC ve33 to try out in size 110/100-18. The K270 in this pic is a 4.00x18 and the trakmaster K760 is a 100/100-18 and is currently mounted. I ordered a 12T countershaft sprocket just in case its needed for space or power.
    The VE33 is just a hair shorter than the K270 and by feel seems very close in weight. Impressed with the big tall lugs on it and anxious to try it out.
    The ve33 is not as big as it appears in the pic with the others, its only slightly larger.

Attached Files:

15. FL_Tech

FL_Tech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Added a few goodies since Ive been on here. Protaper big bars, rack, skidplate with the engine guards, bigger pegs.
    Really love this bike.
    Prob going to move onto the suspension next, maybe the xr200 shock upgrade Ive read about. Worried the bike might get too tall though. Im kinda short lol received_2447110761973077.jpeg
    20180526_111349.jpg
  16. Josiahxr

Josiahxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks real good especially that skid plate lol
    FL_Tech likes this.
  17. FL_Tech

FL_Tech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really liking the bigger tire and looks better too imo.
    20180606_202652.jpg 20180606_201949.jpg
    Singlespeed92 and Bitingdog like this.
  18. FL_Tech

FL_Tech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Skid plate has been good to me, Thanks again!
  19. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Singlespeed92 and FL_Tech like this.
  20. FL_Tech

FL_Tech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just to add, I bought my skid plate from Josiahxr on here, great guy to deal with!