CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Macedo

Macedo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone added a Tach/Hour Meter to their 230?
  2. Eyebooger

Eyebooger scrutinologist

Oddometer:
    Not to my 230, but put a universal one on my sons TTR 125. It had the little wire that you wrap around the spark plug wire and was powered off an internal battery. Worked like a charm. I used a pedal bike handlebar accessory mount to locate it on the bars.
  3. Macedo

Macedo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tach 4 PNB.jpg
  4. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used a trailtech tachometer on my dr650. Easy to do and kind of fun to have
  5. Macedo

Macedo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dankatz, I installed the tach/hour meter as mentioned in my question above? I think the RPM reading is to high, at 60 - 70mph (a slight down hill) the tach reads 20,000 RPM? That just seems a little to high/fast to me. Question to you, at 60-70 mph, what is your RPM?
    Oh, you may find this program interesting as it relates to mph and rpm www.gearingcommander.com on your DR650?
  6. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TT I had on my dr650, not on my crf230l. The dr650 was at about 5000 rpm at 70mph with stock and I am guessing around 8000-9000 rpm on the crf230l
  7. Macedo

Macedo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You said, "The TT I had on my dr650, not on my crf230l. The dr650 was at about 5000 rpm at 70mph with stock and I am guessing around 8000-9000 rpm on the crf230l"

That's my thoughts too, I do not think the 230L engine will do 20,000 rpm? Either the unit is defective or I have it set wrong? A 4 cycle engine does 2 revolution of the crankshaft (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust) with combustion once during the 4 cycles. It is counting twice instead of once during the 4 cycles, I believe, defective?
  8. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The instructions are self explanatory about installation, so if it does not given you a correct read it is likely defective. Call TT just to double check
  9. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    The monkeys really love the 230L 20180607_130241.jpg
    Tippit and dankatz like this.
  10. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot about this website: https://www.gearingcommander.com/
    It shows the CRF230L at 7000 rpm at 70mph which is similar to the stock gearing on my CRF250L. The CRF250L is smoother, so I would have guessed lower RPM.
  11. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi Macedo, I've never put a tach on my 230L but I wanted to tell you about the front sprocket. 13 tooth is stock, a 14 tooth will rub the plastic cover and a 15 tooth may rub the adjacent engine casing. I don't know what your sprocket chain setup is but when you change sprockets your chain may need to be shortened or lengthened. Something to look into. The stock chain adjuster does not offer a whole lot of variation.
  12. ogri88

ogri88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Adding a Classic Speedometer to a CA Road Legalized CRF230F :D

20180614_100139.jpg

I just went through the process of finalizing the dual-sport-ation of a cool 2002 CRF230F that I bought for my teen son as his first road bike. It came CA road legal from the PO with the bare min. of front and rear light plus rear-brake-operated brake light BUT I want him to be safe, so after adding in turn signals, horn and a front-brake-operated brake light circuit I was left with the speedo. I opted for a 70's Classic look, as he doesn't do that much dirt on it (and I like the olde timer look!) for a grand total of $62.

Parts
    Honda 1978 XL 175 Speedometer with cable - $30
    Honda 1988-ish XR 200 R Speedo Drive Gear - $14
    Honda 1987-ish XR 250 Speedo Drive Unit - $18

The CRF230F's have the speedo drive gear cut outs in the hub (pry out the left dust cover) that are WAY bigger/different from the XR250 drive gear which I read was a direct fit - NOPE :permazot . I found that the XR200 drive gear has the necessary 2 tabs that go into crf230f's hub's recievers (sorry, I should have taken a pic, but its obvious) BUT although it would fit into the XR250 speedo drive it would not turn the worm gear even though eyeballing the 2 gears side by side suggested they were the same tooth size & orientation :jjen

To solve this I took the outer drive-tab adapter off the xr200 gear and dremeled a large ID washer (for axle and drive unit inner spacer) so that the tabs on the XR250 grive gear fit inside 2 slots in its inside portion then spot welded this washer onto the XR200 adapter and solved the issue. However, if you have a grinder and a modicum of skill/patience you could skip the XR200 part and just use a large fender washer and shape that to fit the crf230f hub and its cut outs, and make the tab cut outs for the xr250 drive and have you 70's XL look for more like $45!?

The XR250 Speedo Drive Unit does not sit flush with the CRF230F hub as-is, and although it will work it is exposing the drive gear to the elements and dirt etc. To solve this I just dremeled out the ID of the CRF230F's oem hub dust seal to match the OD of the XR250 Speedo Drive Unit and put it back in the left hub.
  13. legobrains

legobrains Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any one have an electronic copy of the service manual for this bike?
    I got the user manual, but need the service manual.

Send a copy to:
    rydercurryATgmail.com
    (Replace the AT with @)

Thanks
  14. rwebell

rwebell "Mission, Men, Me"

Oddometer:
    My DR crapped out on me last week so I rode my son’s crf230 to work all week. It’s about 20 mile mix of backroads, highway and city. The little CRF performed really well. I love that 6th gear and the seat is pure heaven compare to the DR. I had to stay off the highway as I felt bad wringing the CRF to get 60 mph. It has stock carb and stock exhaust. At top speed it sounded like it was having some pre-ignition detonation. I haven’t touched the mixture screw on the carb. And advice on tuning?

I bought it as a Buddy Bike/learning bike for wife and kids but it is so versatile, reliable, comfortable that it has earned a permanent spot in the stable alongside my DR650 and TW200.
    Bitingdog, dankatz and ProLeisure like this.
  15. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of years that I had the DR650 and CRF230L in my stable. The CRF230L, with ear plugs ;-), could cruise at 70mph OK. I miss it being so light and easy. The CRF250L replaced both
  16. rwebell

Oddometer:
    After riding the 230 for a week I got annoyed enough to try and tune a little more performance out of it. I opened the air box and was going to enrich the mixture until I ran into that stupid “D” shaped mixture screw...ended up having to take the carb off to adjust the mixture....extended screw is in the mail. I’ll have to ride it a bit more to see if all the scraped knuckles made any difference.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  17. Josiahxr

Josiahxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes a 38pilot helps but not always, 1 of my 230ms likes a 38 pilot the other M and the L don't. Also I would try shimming the needle with a washer if you got a slight midrange stumble which most seem to have.
  18. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The shim washer was an integral part of the charcoal cannister removal kit sold by XRsOnly years ago. The stock carb settings are very lean at sea level.
  19. ben416

ben416 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had to chime in here since I saw this thread. My 250L Rally brought me to this forum, but my 230L was my first bike and I still love it. A friend of mine and myself have almost identical 230's, an 08, and 09. Same mods, FMF Q4, DRC Edge 2 tail light, XR's smog delete, Jet Kit 38/128 w/ adjustable needle, and some others. Both run Kenda Trackmaster 760's, and both run 93 octane, which helps on really hot days to prevent stalling and knocking. Doing the tail light and LED signals was an interesting challenge, got a new fixed rate blinker box, but the signals would all come on at once. Looked at the wring diagrams and found I needed a few diodes. Grabbed a few from my spare electronic parts and wired it up so they would work correctly. Only issue I really have these days is a slight oil leak from the clutch cover gasket. Its slow, but I'm gonna have to do something about it someday. About 14k on both bikes, probably time for a valve job or rebuild anyways. My buddies smokes a bit on decelerating so something is wearing out. Overall tho, my favorite bike for technical trails. Gone places with it I'd never dream of taking my 250!

Attached Files:

Bitingdog, dankatz and ProLeisure like this.
  20. rwebell

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

DR is back in action but the CRF still gets a lot of love. Both great little bikes. Once that extended mix screw come I’ll tinker with the carb some more. Exhaust would likely help out as well. 16k KM on the DR. 14k KM on the CRF. The DR sees a little more commuting duty but the backroads is where they are meant to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bitingdog likes this.