CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I've had my little 230L for a couple years now, nothing to report that hasn't been said already and nothing of value to contribute so I've just lurked. Now I have a question based on a situation.

I was out cruising the trails in Colorado yesterday, had anticipated on working my way to Imogene Pass at 13k and change elevation-wise to see how my mostly stock bike would behave. Before I made it that far, I discovered my little 230L lost power in second at 12,200 and lost power to first at 12,600. Before that all was well.

Question #1: Will removing the smog junk make a difference?

These little lightweight dualies are masters on those gnarly trails up there, they're not perfect but you sure can cover a LOT of ground with them, easily. And I love it for that very reason. But I sure would like to be able to ride ALL the passes. Motor is stock, exhaust is stock, it's just running tubliss/slime/6ply tires (Kenda 760s) and some other small misc upgrades. Also, the quietness of the stock exhaust is a feature I love, not wanting to change that if it can be helped.

Question #2: What can I do to make it across all the high Colorado passes?
  2. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I don't go that high (elevation) and I went to a larger rear sprocket to aid climbing. 39-tooth --> 48-tooth. Oh, I also used the XRsOnly kit to remove the carbon canister, pair valve, and shim the carb.

Hmm, They don't mention the shim washer: http://www.xrsonly.com/xrs-only-smog-air-pump-block-off-kit-honda-crf230l Arizona typically gets California versions of Honda's offerings.

P1010167a.JPG
    Bitingdog likes this.
  3. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jsonder,

Yes, I was looking at that kit too. Thing is, from scrubbing the 'net searching for my answers, I was getting the feeling that removing the smog stuff removes weight for sure but may or may not do anything for the power. Having some clarification on that would be nice.

Imogene Pass is the highest pass in the lower 48. Part of my motivation for posting was to let the other 230L owners know the [in my opinion] pretty neat attribute of that basic carb being sufficient for almost anything. I ride from the Salton Sea in Cali where it's below sea level to the highest trails in Colorado and all I ever had to do was twist that little idle knob on the carb to to adjust the idle as needed. Never touched the carb otherwise.

Until now that is. If there's a simple fix, that little 230 of ours can ride just about anything, easily. And that is a beautiful thing.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went back after sleeping on it with a couple tricks to try and nailed it. In retrospect, I think the motor just overheated on me. First time ever so I was unprepared.

Awesomely capable little bike this machine is.

IMG_20180717_125853.jpg

IMG_20180717_125859.jpg
    Bitingdog likes this.
  5. bissonne

bissonne n00b

Oddometer:
    I doubt your moter was overheating on you, Most likely your jetting was off a bit, Most bikes are not going to run well at 12,000 ft without some adjustment,The fuel screw would need adjustment at that elevation as well.
    xNateX and Bitingdog like this.
  6. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I took my left fork leg off for inspection. It has zero damping. Oil volume was within spec.

:puke1
  7. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Time for a fork swap!
  8. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Do’h!! Wrong thread.

Note to self, wake up have coffee then post :D
  9. ObiJohn

ObiJohn Screaming Banshee Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 CRF230L that I've desmogged using the XRs Only kit. It runs well, but I wish it had a bit more power. The 223cc Honda motor is rated at 12 HP in this motorcycle. The AJP 230/240 are running the Xongjin clone of this motor and are getting 20 HP. If I could have 30% more HP, or 15 HP total, with more torque down low, that would be great. Anyone know how to do it without re-motoring the bike?
  10. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The cost-effective answer is usually to sell the bike and buy one that meets your needs. However, the bike weight and seat height are not negotiable for many. Being old and inseam challenged, I can understand that. However, there is only a limited amount that can be done with an air-cooled bike at reasonable cost.

I went from a water-cooled NX250 (~25 hp) to the crf230l without much problem, but, I was already retired then. I made the shift because electrical parts for a 1989 bike (only imported for 3 years) were getting pretty expensive and I wasn't sure how much longer rectifiers and ecus would be available.

I am quite happy with the crf230l for a fella in his later 70s.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  12. WolfeTrain

WolfeTrain n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,

New to the thread. Lot's of great info in here. I just recently purchased a 2008 CRF230L and I'm in love.

Has anyone gone from the stock air filter to a foam air filter? Just wondering if there's a benefit from one or the other. Thanks

Matt
  13. ProLeisure

ProLeisure Gimme shelter... Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread was a lot of help when I was looking for a bike for my wife. She’s now had the bike for a little over 3 years and it’s been great.

When she first got the bike she wasn’t comfortable that she couldn’t flatfoot it so we had a lowering link installed. She rode it for several seasons that way and improved her riding skills. It was great for giving her confidence, but it changed the suspension and as she got better (faster), she was getting bounced around quite a bit. This year we had it removed and the bike handles better. It also means I can ride it comfortably (without bottoming out), which is great. :-) It’s a super fun bike for the the forest service and fire roads we have around our house.

Here’s a few pictures from this summer. She’s 5’ 3” (160 cm).

2009 Honda CRF 230L:

[​IMG]
    First ride of the season.

[​IMG]
    First ride of the season.

[​IMG]
    Afternoon ride.

[​IMG]
    Checking out an old deserted sheep farm.

[​IMG]
    Out for an afternoon ride.

[​IMG]
    Me: "Do you want me to ride your bike across?"
    Her: "Yes."
    (Once I'm on the the other side.)
    Her: "Nevermind... I'm going to do it. Just move out of the way, 'cause I'm going to go really fast!"
    Me: :-)

[​IMG]
    Returning from a weekend of camping.
  14. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    IMG_3011.jpg IMG_3018.jpg The boys and I on my wife's bike puttering around the yard
    C2.0, Lost Cartographer and xNateX like this.
  15. Az4x4

Az4x4 Forever is a long time..

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat, in my late 70's, long retired but still enjoying riding backwoods trails here in Mogollon Rim country, I love my new to me '08 CRF230L. Rode Yamaha XT225's for many years, but I wouldn't trade this Honda for anything else in the easy to handle light weight dual sport class. It's a keeper!..
    Bitingdog likes this.
  16. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got around to doing my first valve check at 10,000 miles. Turns out valves were in spec.

Cost me $120 at the Rocky Mountain ATV dealer outlet in Helper Utah. Those guys are top shelf. Calling around various other places as I roamed the country I got all sorts of price quotes, $150 to $300+.

It's the only thing I don't particularly like about this bike, 4k mile valve check intervals. I wish it had something closer to the 26k interval of the wr250r. But I guess I'll go ahead and have 'em checked again when I hit 20,000 miles :)
  17. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The job isn't that hard, but you do mess with the rear engine hanger. The shop manual and the proper bent feeler gauges from Motion Pro cost less than one shop visit (well that was 8 years ago).
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the shop manual and the *good* feeler gauges, but I still balked when it was time to git'r'done.

Not long ago I took in a rear wheel to have the tire replaced. Was no problem getting the rear off the bike, but damn I sure for the life of me couldn't put it back on! The bike was mounted to the ultimate mx hauler on my camper van, the one that supports the bike under the engine via a couple of steel bars through the footpegs leaving the wheels free (I was on the road again) and this all took place while I was parked in the Honda dealer's lot (i25 somewhere south of Albuquerque). Strangely, I ended up at that particular dealer because having tubliss the Cycle Gear shop I walked into couldn't do the tire swap, the 2nd one I was referred to wanted $150 (no lie, honest!) and when I called these guys they said "yeah, sure, no problem, $36 and you can bring it on in." And when I did, they busted the tubliss! I couldn't wait for a special order tubliss to arrive (being on the road) but when I went back in to ask for a wee bit of help getting the rear tire back on, they were happy to assist.

Some things I just don't mess with. This I have learned from experience. And sometimes even the professionals f up. C'est la vie.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  19. irlvnt

irlvnt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could you offer some comparisons to the XT225? I have an 06 XT. The 230L was also considered when I was looking but since they only brought them in for 2 years I couldn't find any to even try out.
    What did you notice when you switched?
  20. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for a CRF230L if anyone has one!