CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    The CRF230L and the CRF230F use slightly different drive sprockets, so I stick to the stock drive sprocket and play at the rear sprocket. Top speed is now 55 mph, but it cruises happily at 51-52 mph. My off road is mainly near by, so that is not much of a draw back. Plus, I've taken the "street bike" on a few forest service roads; note that it is wearing Pilot Road 4 tires.

[​IMG]
  2. Javelinky

Javelinky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    count me in 2008 crf 230L . emissions deleted / jets / needle stacked / exhausted modified a little . bark busters , flatland skid plate . cycle racks back rack .
  3. Javelinky

Javelinky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did the same thing to my exhaust
  4. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    OK so I've done some searching and found heaps of info on the F model carby upgrades but not a lot (especially here in Australia) what size jet upgrade is recommended for the CRF230L 2009, because 120 main and 48 pilot/slow jet seems not to be that much of a size increase (standard 118/35) and is the needle still need to be from the 03 to 05 230 or can I get away with just moving the clip.

Thanks.
  5. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. Lost Cartographer

Lost Cartographer Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Starting point, 2000-3000ft elevation, stock airbox, stock exhaust:

38 pilot, 125main, 1mm shim under needle.

Stock should be 35 / 118.
    Redback likes this.
  7. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Redback likes this.
  8. Redback

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure Australia gets the California model, emissions are not policed here as they are in the US yet.

Can you direct me where this smog pump would be??

The bike is virtually brand new with only 250 odd Ks on it(150 miles) so not been ridden much.
  9. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Redback, how does the CRF230L compare to your xt225? just curious
  10. Redback

Oddometer:
    More power, will get to 120kph (70mph)pretty easily, you can sit on 100/110kph on the freeway all day, handles the dirt just as well also.
  11. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, which one? :-)
    The xt225 has more power?
  12. Redback

Oddometer:
    XT has more, 15Kw 19Nm

CRF has 13.7Kw 18.8Nm not much but it makes a difference.
    dankatz likes this.
  13. jsonder

jsonder Tired Old Fart

Oddometer:
    If you don't have the carbon canister, you shouldn't have the PAIR control valve, which is what they are calling the smog pump.

Just shim the needle with a washer.
    Redback likes this.
  14. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm at sea level. I re-jetted my 230L carb 2 years ago to Keihin 128 main, 40 pilot and shimmed the stock jet needle with the XR's only smog block off kit. It NEVER backfires on me and it made the throttle more responsive, I don't have to down shift as much.
    Redback likes this.
  15. Redback

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone great info, I had to google smog pump and carbon canister, mate you have some weird devices on your bikes over there.

Carbon Canister(Particulate filter??) only used here on diesels but not all diesels have them, we have small catalytic converters on the exhaust system which can be removed legally because not all models have them either car or bike.

Smog Pump, none the wiser about that:dunno
  16. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So when I first got my 230L it took about an hour of riding before my bum was done. Googling around, I learned that a aftermarket seat from Renazco Racing was probably the best aftermarket seat available. However, when I emailed them, the reply I received was that they were booked solid. So I ordered a seat from Corbin. That turned out to be a mistake because it was only slightly more comfortable. The seat itself was wider, but it was also too hard. I actually gave it a year or two thinking it would break in per the instructions. During that time I ended up using padded moto undies to reduce the discomfort. One day I realized I had had enough. I contacted Renazco again, they requested pictures, and afterwards was told that the seat geometry of the Corbin seat was all wrong. It turns out the Corbin seat was highly sloped; it had quite the V shape to it. And that was part of the problem in that my bum would always slide down from the wide part to the bottom of the V which was narrow. Also, I ignorantly chose leather for that seat, and leather is slippery and not at all grippy - which as you all probably know is valuable when the trails get sketchy. James from Renazco mentioned that he happened to have an open time slot the following week, I sent that Corbin seat in, and now it's what it should've been all along (it's now vinyl too).

I also got tired of the stock footpegs. I'm a bigger guy, 6'1" and slightly over 200 pounds. There were no nice large enduro footpegs for our 230L. I did find a set for all the other Honda's though so I thought I'd take a chance. Ordered them and sure enough they didn't fit. Couldn't return them either, so I ended up going to a welding [fabrication] shop and told them I needed those enduro pegs put on there properly. It cost me $320 and now I have the footpegs I needed.

Old Corbin seat where the geometry is all wrong, plus the leather provides no grip:
    old corbin seat.jpg

New Renazco seat: new seat.jpg

New enduro footpegs hardly fit my mx hauler now but it's so worth it riding-wise: new enduro footpegs.jpg

At least the other side is solid:
    left footpeg.jpg

2 inch anti-vibration risers and my little bike is finally good to go:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LGPXBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  17. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a good idea how to secure the sketchy side of the dirtbike on the mx hauler, I'm all ears.

back view.jpg.jpg
  18. Josiahxr

Josiahxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you able to use the stock cables without any mods for the 2 inch risers??
  19. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but there's a backstory to that...

I first added the 30mm tusk risers as they were the least expensive way to proceed, only $21.
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/tusk-handlebar-risers-p

Afterwards, whenever the handlebar would go full right the motor would turn off unless I stayed on the gas. I didn't link the 2 together, taller risers and hard-right causing the engine to turn off. Eventually I turned the bike into a Honda dealership to have the valves checked and mentioned that it turned off while hard right if not staying on the gas. They troubleshooted it to the choke button becoming engaged while hard-right, re-routed the cable, and all was well.

So wishing for yet more handlebar height so I wouldn't have to bend over while standing, I threw the 2 inch risers on top of the 30mm risers already there - and it was there that the cables became too short. So I re-ordered a set of the 15mm tusk risers, combined them with the 2 inch rox risers, and that's the best I can get. With the oversized enduro pegs I can now stand comfortably, certainly much more so than before, although having slightly more handlebar height would be nice.

It's a compromise. I have this bike not because it's the best bike for me, but because it's the best bike for the greatest number of people when I'm not around (I'm a sailor, most of my life is spent at sea and my extended family gets it then). And in THAT respect, it's the best possible bike.
  20. rwebell

rwebell "Mission, Men, Me"

Oddometer:
    I recently found a dynojet kit in the bargain bin at a local bike shop. Anyone have experience with jetting? Airbox is opened, stock exhaust but I’m thinking of removing the baffle.