CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mickdee

mickdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    4 months later I'm circling back to this, haha! You're welcome for the response and I'm glad it helped! Sounds like you got the bike set up right, and now you know your settings needed for both Utah and New York, so that's good data for you. The pics are beautiful, awesome that you got out there! I'm hoping to make it out this year, and I'll have to deal with jetting my plated ktm300 before I go. KTM includes a jetting chart that takes elevation and temperature into account, so I'll use that as my starting point, cross my fingers, and then check my plug after maybe a half hour and then a half day of riding out there.
  2. Oleseahorse

Oleseahorse Formerly Oleseahorse, presently Mr. P

Oddometer:
    Ok so back to the front fork spacers in case anyone else is interested in "refreshing" their front end. Seems like 3/4" sch 40 pvc pipe (1.05" od) is a trifle small but I used it anyway. The 1" (1.35" od) is a little too big. Curious though about the 1" Dom steel tubing cause that's 1" od, even less than the 3/4" pvc.
    Now if they made a 7/8" pvc...

Attached Files:

3. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't remember exactly what size DOM tubing I used but I bought it from McMaster Carr and I selected the largest OD available that would fit inside the fork tube...I place a steel washer on top of the spring for the tubing to push against and keep things oriented correctly. I believe the fork cap has a steel insert in it so you don't push against the aluminum.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  4. Oleseahorse

Oddometer:
    I must have fallen asleep before I finished this post. Rode yesterday and by 9pm I was out of gas. See the post below for the explanation concerning why Sch 40 pvc doesn't work.
  5. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use PVC...I recently discovered "Cogent Suspension" uses PVC.

I personally like steel :-).
    Bitingdog likes this.
  6. Oleseahorse

Oddometer:
    I would use pvc but I believe (haven't checked w the vernier) that I need pvc w an od of 1.25". As you can see from the chart in the post above, the 1" has an od of 1.315 - too big. The 3/4" pvc has an od that's too small. I should note that SR 56 probably used 1-1/4" dom tubing which has an id of 1.25" which probably fits perfectly. I'd use pvc in a heartbeat but it just doesn't fit.
    Marty
  7. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OOkay, i sold my 450 and bought a 230m (biggest mistake of my life) but here i am, 6'4" 207lbs riding this little bike. It tops out at 55mph... i know it should go faster than that. Curious if there are any other riders around my weight, and what their top speeds are on either M/L models. Thinking this bike has no top end power, i have a 44T ready to put on, but im not sure if it will increase the top speed. Thoughts?
    (my 450 lacked top end power, adding a larger sprocket gave me more top speed)
  8. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    These little 230's dont make a lot of top end. I'm 5'11" @ 205. I rode a 2008 from Phoenix AZ into New Mexico for a round trip of about 1800 miles, some dirt a lot of tar. It was loaded down pretty good as you can see in the pic. Best I could get out of the little bike was 65MPH. I dont think it was real happy at 65.
    As a comparison, I was riding with two friends that were on Yamaha XT225's. The little Honda would drive by them on every hill or head wind. All three bikes were bone stock and loaded pretty good.
    When on the highway we stayed between 55 and 60 most all the time.
    The bike was "lead pipe" dependable, ran excellently, not even a hint of a problem.
    Your bike should do a little better then 55, but I would not expect much more.

IMG_1374.JPG
  9. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice setup! if it could go 65 id be fine, topping out at 55 isnt acceptable to me. thats where i want to cruise, at 50-55. Maybe instead of a 44 i should put a 41 on and see if it pulls a little better up top.. im trying to think what else could be hindering the bike. bearings are good. tires perhaps, they are 17in 50/50, pretty fat. that could be affacting it... i suppose i could check the valves, i doubt it but if they are off maybe im losing some power there.
  10. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was unaware the CRF230M had 17 inch wheels.
    The 230L is running 21" front and a 18" rear.
    I'm not sure the larger rear wheel will get you where you would like to be, but if you go back to a stock sprocket in the back with an 18" rear wheel, I believe you will be closer to your goal.
    These little bikes are hard to get a balance of top end and good bottom end power as well. If you go too tall in the rear sprocket, top end will suffer because the little bike just will not have enough power to pull the higher gear, if you goo to small in the rear sprocket, the bike will pull the lower gear but will not be able to get to the top end you desire, the bike will be pretty "Buzzy".
    Tough to find the balance you are looking for.
    I sold my 230L several years ago, I liked the bike. I wanted Fuel Injection, bought a 2017 CRF250L, it will hold 65 all day long.
  11. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah this bike is temporary, a result of a mistake. ill be mainly riding it on trails, so i dont really need speed. the 38T is stock on the M model, ill just go to a 44T, see how it is. Worst case ill just haul it to the dirt. I want FI again, ill get something nice with more power when the bank is ready lol. I rode the 250L a few days ago and it didnt seem like it had much more power than the 230. Ill probably go for a.... who knows. i wish they would update the XR/DR/DRZ to FI.
    anyways... 230 is a long lost gem these days. not many of them out there, no aftermarket, few followers. ill make it work, i have to! What drives me nuts is a honda monkey will do 60 and this thing wont, i dont get it!
  12. Josiahxr

Josiahxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah same here LOL. IMG_0175.jpg 100_1902.JPG 100_1900.JPG

Attached Files:

Tippit likes this.
  13. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m lighter at 145 pounds. With full gear on and a 40 pound rear duffel bag, I top out at 75 and will ride comfortably at 60-65 mph all day long. I have the crf230l. I find the gearing is fine. Your 230m is probably slightly tall geared for you. I’m not sure that I’d jump to 44 as I think it will scream at 60 mph. Maybe a 41 or 42 at most. I have a crf250l setup for the road as an m with warp 9 wheels, fmf, elk, etc. it is 50% more powerful than my 230. Night And day. Stock gearing in the 250l is much taller. Works fine for me on the road but would not work in the trail. Stock crf230l gearing works fine on the trail. Lastly, give it time. You will get used to it. Every time I made a bike change I always fixated on the negatives. Eventually just got used to it and appreciated the positives
  14. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a "L" and had a "M"...top speed on both with 14/38 on the M and 14/39 on the L was about 74 mph on a GPS with me laying on the tank on level ground and no headwind or tailwind...I am 5' 11" and about 215 lbs ready to ride.

If I get a headwind or an incline top speed could drop down to ~65 mph.

Stock gearing is a 13T front...if you go to a 14F and 38 or 39 rear, that will give you the fastest top speed.
    Woods Ridin likes this.
  15. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good info, Thanks
  16. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your right, i just need to get used to it. ill order a 41 sprocket and see how it is. Taller gearing definitely explains the lack of power i felt on the 250... Thanks!
  17. Oleseahorse

Oddometer:
    You may want to change the 14 back to a 13 front sprocket. I have two crf230l's and ride almost exclusively dirt. The original setup of 13/39 works best for me. I have aggressive knobbies on my bikes so a top speed of 50-55mph is fine w me. It will be easier to swap the front sprocket too. Probably cheaper as well.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  18. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    plot twist, the guy i bought the 230m from said he got it up to 75 - hes a heavier dude than me. So unless hes lying, (which i doubt, hes an honest guy) there is something going on with my bike. Brakes arent applying unwanted pressure, i lubed up the bearings - they are in good condition. im stumped! ill still change gearing - 6th goes from 45-55 wide open so its definitely running out of power up there
  19. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With a slight tail wind and/or a slight downhill....I think the 75 mph is believable if he was laying on the tank.

A slight uphill or headwind can easily drop the top speed to 68-70 mph as well.

With 14/41 gearing you should hit about 74 mph at the peak of the horsepower curve "7,200 rpms". You might consider installing a new air filter if needed, removing the airbox cover, and replacing the spark arrestor with something like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2008-2...RF230L&hash=item287dedfa2e:g:iJ8AAOSwLuldefq9

All CRF230L/Ms should be able to do at least 70 mph on flat ground if the rider is in a good tuck, on flat ground with no head wind, and reasonable gearing i.e. 13/38-41 and everything is working correctly.

MCN did top speed testing on all of the bikes they tested for years and they say 74.7 mph.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  20. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ill look into it this weekend, Great info. Would i have to re-jet if I put that exhaust tip on?