CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. mickdee

mickdee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you or the previous owner changed tires, tubes, rim lock (or no rim lock),or air pressures since the day he hit 75mph? If you are running lower pressures or added more rotating mass (heavier tire, heavy duty tube, added a rimlock, etc), it could make a difference. Also, I'd recommend one top speed test run with no air filter & no air filter cover just to understand if air restriction plays a roll (on a clean and dry day on pavement of course).
  2. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you will need to rejet.

I am running a #125 Keihin or #118 Dynojet main jet with the exhaust tip installed and my airbox cover still installed.

I'd also recomend placing a small washer under the needle to shim it up just a little bit. I think I used a 2mm washer...in my notes all I have is the washer was .020" thick. It helps get on the main jet a little quicker and richen the mixture sooner. The stock jet is not adjustable so the washer works like moving the clip one position.
  3. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Handlebar Risers and/or Taller Handlebars for a CRF230L....

I have tried several and based on my experience, the ROX 2" risers are a little too high because they stretch your cables (choke/throttle) a little more than what I would consider acceptable. I even tried rerouting my cables to solve the problem but no luck.

So anything less than 2" should work OK.

Just figured I'd post this in case anybody is considering risers and/or taller handlebars :-).
  4. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    2008 CRF 230L OEM muffler anyone? I purchased this bike back in Dec.2020 and really like it. Its great on my backroads and forest service trails. The aftermarket muffler is way to loud for my taste and was wondering if any of you inmate thumpers have the OEM kicking around your shop. Ill pay shipping and even give you this aftermarket one,it also has a spark arrestor.
    Thanky
  5. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OEM muffler doesn't flow as good as a straight through aftermarket muffler but the OEM never needs repacking and is super durable. OEM is a little heavy...5.3 lbs more than a FMF Powercore 4. I have run tried both and currently have the OEM muffler on my 230L.
  6. Tippit

Tippit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you're unable to locate a OEM muffler you could try wrapping the header and even the muffler with heat wrap, it's ugly but helps a bit. In addition you can put screen mesh over the exhaust end. Maybe you can rig up a couple layers of screen. I did this on my bike, I used the screen from a kitchen sink strainer. I like quiet bikes
  7. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    Yup, quiet is good and I'll give your suggestions a try.
    Tippit likes this.
  8. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can also get various screen meshes from McMaster Carr.
  9. RetroRob

RetroRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys - new owner checking in! Just picked up this mint CRF230M with only 1,300 miles... Changed fluids, sparkplug and have 50/50 tires ordered. Next mods will be rear rack and some offset risers. I am a little big for the bike and I sit on the seat strap area. Is that strap removable? Also looking at seat or seat cover options. 1D44AE76-3A3D-4E00-8B5D-78CB0F4EA3CA.jpg
    Jahredi and Ride Now like this.
  10. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seat strap is removable...two nuts under the seat.

Seat Concepts once made a seat for the bike but the stock seat works pretty good.

Risers...if you go over about 30mm, your cables will start to bind. I use a set of 30mm risers from Rocky Mt ATV. When you install traditional risers, the bars will come back towards you a little bit. I found the 30mm risers helped a lot on my CRF230M which I no longer have by the way.

I'd highly recomend adding spacer above the fork spring or new fork springs...I used DOM tubing, about 1" on each fork. Really cuts down on how the bike dives when you hit the front brakes.
    RetroRob likes this.
  11. White mt guy

White mt guy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My newest barn find, well it was in a barn when I picked up off a 77 year old who never took it off road, only coffee runs. It's set up with 80/20's now. So anyway for the 230 riders who travel with small bike , I have a few questions. I will be taking a road trip on my w800 with two others who are very inexperienced riders , both with two seasons behind them with few miles, both on large bikes. We will be staying on all state roads with top speed limits at 55mph, but lots of good twisties. My son who just got his road license wants to come with us on the crf. Aside from the obvious, larger bikes more power stuff , which is not an issue because we are all family on this trip. Is the crf capable of a 800/1000 mile road trip?
    dankatz likes this.
  12. dankatz

dankatz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sh I’ll be fine as long as you stop every 2 hours to fuel and get off the stock seat to stretch
    White mt guy likes this.
  13. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely....but I'd put a 14 tooth front sprocket on the 230L. You should be able to run about 72 mph on level ground and maintain 65 mph with some hills...depending on the rider weight. It won't pull a 15T front sprocket, I tried :lol3. You can run a 14F/38R and that is about it unless it is all downhill :D. Stock rear is 39 and I wouldn't bother changing unless it is worn out.

For me, the range is about 100 miles if I am running wide open before hitting reserve so you might want to plan your fuel stops and/or take some extra gas on the bike depending on how far you want to ride each day. I am 5' 11" and 210 lbs...somebody shorter and lighter should be able to get a lot better mileage. If you are running 55 mph, you should be able to go substantially further...around 140 miles or more before hitting reserve. Tank is 2.3 gallons with a .3 gallon reserve.
    White mt guy likes this.
  14. grubbie

grubbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one gathering dust, let me know if you still need one.
  15. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of assuming it was aftermarket. Upon a closer look it was OEM without baffles.
  16. Lost Navigator

Lost Navigator my pitbull s#/+$ on my tools

Oddometer:
    So im new here. I have an 08 crf230l. Bought with 10k miles. Po installed 67mm 250cc athena big bore kit, 120 main jet, 38 idle jet, 14t/48t sprocket set up, upgraded suspension by Bruces Suspension with fork socks and smog delete. I have added led headlight and turn signals, Rigid LED lights, acerbis hand guards, custom aluminum rack (I made), custom (painted myself) matte black paint job, big gun evo r full exhaust, custom black set cover (yes, i did that too)and dunlop 605s. I just installed exhaust yesterday and i was amazed at how much of and increase in power and throttle response i received in bottom, mid, and top end power. Before i was doing 67-68 mph, with airbox lid removed 70-71 mph but with huge lose In bottom end power. Now after exhaust and putting a 1.25" hole in airbox lid im hitting 76-77 and im pretty sure i could have hit 78 mph had i not been running against the high winds of an oncoming storm. With all that said my question is can i expect a dramatic decrease in torque but increase in mph if i were to swap out 48t rear sprocket to something around 42-44t? I was looking into trading up to a bigger bike (400-450cc) in order to maintain highway speeds 65-70 mph and without having to be at full throttle. That goal seemed impossible before exhaust upgrade, but now i feel this bike can accomplish that and possibly more if i swap sprockets. Am i wrong? Also im running stock air filter. Any recommendations on a better air filter? Here are some before(red) and after(black) pics 20210512_190442~2.jpg 20210512_191447-COLLAGE.jpg 20210512_030225.jpg 20210512_125501-COLLAGE.jpg 20210512_125034-COLLAGE.jpg 20210512_124609-COLLAGE.jpg
    air filter
    Jahredi likes this.
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I run 14/38 with a pretty stock CRF230L and can run about 72 mph when I am laying on the tank. Only mod is jetting and removal of the spark arrestor. With your mods, I would think you could pull the 14/38 even better. You will notice a little difference when you start off i.e. might have to use your clutch a little more but after you get rolling it won't matter but you should increase your top speed a little bit IMO.
  18. RetroRob

RetroRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here she sits now... Mounted rear rack and Shinko SR244 front/rear (4.60-17 / 5.10-17) tires. Looks cool, but the front is just too wide. There's only 1/16" side clearance. Thinking about changing to a smaller tire. Anyone try a 3.50-17 on the front? The rim is 3" wide.

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg
    IMG_3209.jpg

Attached Files:

19. RetroRob

RetroRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the 3.50-17 is going to work. The speed rating and load index will be way low.
  20. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How wide is the internal width of your front rim?

It looks wider than an OEM 230M rim.

Depending on your rim width, a 120/70-17 TKC80 might work well and it is "Q" speed rated which means up to 99 mph...don't think the 230M will be going that fast unless you drive it off of a cliff :-).