CRF230L Owners Check In

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by racknack83, Jan 19, 2009.

1. RetroRob

RetroRob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike has stock rims. 3.0-17 front, 3.5-17 rear. I guess the fat tires make the rims look bigger too :lol3

Yeah, that the TKC80 would make a great front tire. I'm going to look into that. Thanks!
  2. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a perfect world, you'd want to run a 130 or 140 wide tire on the 3" rim...scroll down a little on this site for recommended rim width vs tire width:

https://www.denniskirk.com/learn/tire-sizes-explained

I think you'll be OK with a 120...the bike won't turn in as easily because the tire profile will be wider than optimum but I don't think you'll notice it much if any. I recently sold my 230M but when I was researching off road tires, the TKC80 looked like the best option with the stock rims to me.
    RetroRob likes this.
  3. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Los Barriles, Baja - Colorado - Stuttgart Germany
    This thread is huge and I just can't search though all the nothingness to find the good morsels of information. My wife has had her lowered CRF230L for 4 years and improved her riding skills significantly. Off road the bike is sufficient for her demands. She needs more power especially on the high rpm end when climbing a paved road mountain passes. She tops out at 55 mph on these passes and downshifting just makes more noise. She feels she is a traffic hazard but doesn't want to give up her little Honda due to here short legs and her love for little red. I have done the air box mods and de-canister. It still has the stock exhaust and carb. What is the next step to get the most out of the small cc motor.?
    CMS likes this.
  4. bissonne

bissonne n00b

Oddometer:
    What i have done to gain good performanceis,is,add a couple teth on the rear sprocket. cut an extra hole in the air box lid, size of a half doller will do. add an fmf powerbomb header, and q4 muffler, rejet, 132 main, 38 pilot, use genuine kehin jets> put 1 shim, under needle, adjust fuel screw as needed. That will wake the midrange , and top end performance considerably!
    HIgh Water likes this.
  5. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a Dynojet Jet Kit, Remove the Spark Arrestor and install a Cap with a screen you can get from EBay, Remove the Airbox Cover,...Jet just like the kit says for a free flowing exhaust and airbox cover removed. If you aren't running it already, go with a 14T front and a 38 or 39 rear sprocket...it will give you about 72-74 mph for a top speed and 1st gear will be low enough for going slow. The removal of the spark arrestor will give about the same power increase and sound as a FMF Powercor 4 muffler and cost 10% of the FMF muffler...I have done both. This is an example of the "tip" I am talking about but you can get one cheaper on EBay: https://www.amazon.com/Black-Path-2008-2012-Arrestor-Motorcycle/dp/B07J9JTS2R

Depending on how your wife likes the handling...you can install spacers on top of the fork springs to stiffen up the front end and keep it from diving when you hit the front brake...about 1" seems to work good for me...but I weigh about 200 lbs so you might want to try 1/2" first. I bought DOM tubing from McMaster Carr to use for my spacers....with an OD as large as possible but still able to fit in the fork tube. You can also install a steel washer on top of the springs so everything stays perpendicular/parallel.

Check your rear suspension SAG and set the preload on the shock accordingly...you should have about 30% of your travel as SAG with the wife on the bike with her gear on ready to ride.

Tires can help a LOT...if riding pavement only the Bridgestone BT45 is a good option. If you need dual sport tires, I like the Bridgestone Trail Wings 301/302 and they are DOT approved. You can go softer than the BT45 if you want to play Valentino Rossi and you can go more aggressive than the Trail Wings if you ride off road only...Maxxis Desert front and Maxxis IT rear are what I use. Just be careful with your rear tire size choice because it will drag on the mud flap if your OD is too large.

If you need more power or better handling/suspension after accomplishing everything above...it is time for a different bike IMO :-).
    HIgh Water likes this.
  6. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much to both of your replies. Part on order.
  7. Woods Ridin

Woods Ridin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Working on a project... I bought a M with 4800 miles. Looked good on the outside but the internals were a mess. the air filter was so bad that the vacuum created a huge gap in it. Valves had over 1/4in of lash. I installed a skid plate, 21" XR250L wheel, 44T sprocket, new 30mm nibbi carb, bar risers, new chain, smog removal, air filter. i still have to put new tractionators on, new digital speedo, front and rear wide racks, light bar, throttle assembly, and LED blinkers, muffler cap. When i blip the throttle fast it bogs, but if you rev it slowly it runs fine, did this with stock carb too, i think it is the spark plug, its nasty, got that on order too. Will share pics when all done. As far as the racks are concerned, i am having them custom made by a co worker, they will take stress off the subframe.
    Bitingdog and dankatz like this.
  8. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a funny one, as I've pulled this carb so many times... Im currently drawing a blank on that little rubber heat shield that goes behind the throttle cables on the carb... can someone send me a picture or diagram on how to reattach it?
    Thanks!
  9. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    My friend just got an 08 CRF230L and it has an FMF pipe. He would like to put a stock pipe on it. Is anyone here interested in arranging a swap?

PM my if you are interested and I will put you in touch. TIA
  10. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. JamesHTrotter

Oddometer:
    @HIgh Water Thank you so much!!!! side note, that piece of the rubber with the hole hooks on to the front screw of the back of throttle cable cover there.
    Much appreciated for taking the time to photograph and post that!
  12. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Your welcome and thanks for return tip :--) I am not convinced that is actually does anything but some Japanese engineer, who is way smarter than I, decided it needed it so I leave it there.
  13. Casey2500

Casey2500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Need some help guys. I got a crf230 m. The wrist pin was worn so it had piston slap. Just rebuild the whole engine. It still sounds noisy I think it’s the valves but they are set to .004 like the manual says. It also won’t get up to full speed it tops out at 55 or 60. Before the rebuild it would 70-75. It at a loss any ideas what to look for
  14. JamesHTrotter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I think you need to summon @SR56 for this one! I'd he's the most well-versed L/M rider on this thread.
  15. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Casey2500...valves should be set with the engine cold and at TDC at .004" plus or minus .001" so I don't think that is a factor.

Hard to say why it won't reach 72-74 mph...that is the top speed on level ground with no wind for my 230L and my 230M when it was stock, although I am down to one CRF230L at this point after a friend's son crashed one of my 230Ls and bent the frame and I sold my 230M. Regarding top speeds, a headwind or a slight uphill will drop the top speed but usually I can still maintain mid 60s mph, although I have had my top speed drop to the low 60s on the interstate with a headwind and a slight uphill.

What gearing (sprockets) are you running and did you change them at any point close to or after the rebuild? Just reaching for possible contributors.

What components were replaced when you did the rebuild?

JamesHTrotter obviously has me confused with somebody that knows what they are doing since most of my knowledge was gained by the mistakes I have made :lol3.

@HIgh Water...that rubber piece that wraps around the carb is to keep the heat that comes off of the cylinder head from heating the carb. As gasoline vaporizes inside the carb, it cools the carb a lot and you want to keep it cool so the density of the intake charge (air and fuel) is as dense as possible...so the engine will produce more power. Drag racers once packed ice on top of their intake manifold to increase the density of the intake charge. There is also a plastic bulb connected to the intake boot...don't remove it because it is an accumulator that damps the pressure pulses (yes you have high and low pressure pulses in the intake tract/boot) in the intake tract and that helps increase the air flow. So yes, those Japanese engineers are pretty sharp and there is a reason for everything on your bike :-).

Bitingdog likes this.
  16. Casey2500

Casey2500 n00b

Oddometer:
    I had the crank rebuilt, cylinder honed, new piston and rings, new valves and springs. I rode it before I rebuilt it and it would get into the 70’s but was noisy and once it started to smoke bad is when I decided to rebuild it. I can only think it’s the timing but I have the lines matched up. The cam is off? I put the lobes down like the manual said. I’m thinking I’ll advance it one tooth and see what it does
  17. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What you are saying is exactly what I was thinking except the other direction...the cam is probably too advanced now and I'd back it up one tooth but take a look at the marks and the orientation and go from there.

Advancing the cam will help low rpm power and hurt high rpm power.

Retarding the cam timing will help high rpm power and hurt low rpm power.
  18. JamesHTrotter

Oddometer:
    @SR56 to the rescue! Now if only you could help me with a bizarre noise on a CBR300R.
  19. Casey2500

Casey2500 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys I got it running now I just have to fine tune the carb! I have a bog when I’m at idle going to full throttle and afterfire on deceleration. I have stock jets and the pilot screw didn’t help much. It helped the bog but not the popping. I’m think the combination of the last guy halfway deleting the smog and maybe the air cut off valve is going out. Anyone else delete the smog? I don’t have the canister but it looks like everything else is there. Do I just pull off all the hoses expect the main fuel line and cap them? Thanks for the help guys
  20. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry about the popping on decel, that is not a sign of anything bad. You can adjust your idle a little bit faster and the fuel screw which is under the silver cap can be adjusted a little richer after removing the silver cap. Check the instructions for installing a Dynojet Jet Kit on the Dynojet web site for the location and how to remove the silver cap if it is still in place.

Yes I deleted the smog stuff on all my 230s. Just remove all of it and you will need a blank off plate for where the smog pipe goes in the very top right front corner of the head and shorter bolts for where the cannister was removed or spacers to make up the extra length if that hasn't been done already.

Several places sell a smog delete kit that consists of the blank off plate and the shorter bolts.

Just FYI, the smog stuff doesn't cost you any power since it just injects air in the exhaust to ensure all of the fuel is completely burned. I remove it just to decrease weight and to simplify everything.

If you have an air leak in the smog piping somewhere, that could be contributing to the decel popping.