CRF300L and CRF300L Rally

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lapchik, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Shortyg83

Shortyg83 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    they do move about 2 cm. But they only move together 2cm each way then lock up. I can't get them to seperate from each other.
  2. Mister D

Mister D Violating community standards

Oddometer:
    Yeah... I don't think they are meant to move together. You're going to have to separate them. If you tap the bottom one clockwise, it should go down. If you tap the top one counterclockwise, it will go up. You say it has no preload set, maybe there is not room to loosen the top one. Don't try to move them both together, get em separated. Lube will help to get them unstuck from each other.
    HighwayChile likes this.
  3. Mister D

Mister D Violating community standards

Oddometer:
    And when I set mine, which i adjusted twice, the bike was lifted off the ground with no weight on the shock.
  4. 150miler

150miler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Use two lock ring spanners, one on the bottom ring and one on the top ring, working in opposite directions. That way the rings will not both move together.
  5. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I had this problem when I tried to loosen the Lock ring (top one) from the Adjuster ring. I just couldn't get it to back off despite using two C spanners. Then I realised that the lock ring was completely backed up against the threads and had nowhere else to go. So I concentrated on moving the adjuster ring a couple of turns to allow the lockring some space to move back. Then it worked.
    rolinrok likes this.
  6. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just put your bik
    put bike up on a stand to release pressure on shock n spring ,and hit it harder
    Fast1 likes this.
  7. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, weight off the rear wheel, spray on some penetrating oil, let it sit, have a helper tap in direction opposite your simultaneous tapping. After getting the preload where you want it, put antiseize compound between the rings, then run down the lock ring, snugging it up.
  8. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It takes a big hit to break the lock rings apart.
    A 3 lb sledgehammer should do the trick with a large flat-nose screwdriver or, chisel.
    The bottom ring will overlap the bottom threads.
    I went 2.5 threads below the threads with the bottom ring for max preload.

My factory Rally bottom ring setting was about 2 threads from the bottom of the threads.

Attached Files:

Mister D, byh and Fast1 like this.
  9. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi all.
    I am very interested in the 300 Rally to replace my current bike. Unfortunately because of the supply shortage, I can't get a test ride anywhere near me (San Francisco). I don't want to buy a bike without testing if it fits me first. Are there other bikes in the class with similar ergonomics that I would have an easier time finding for a test tide ?
    Johnnyadv43 likes this.
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    @amol - Can you find a 250 Rally (maybe used) near you? The ergonomics and feeling while sitting on the bike should be similar to the 300, as the changes are relatively minor between them. The 300 has a wider (and stiffer foam?) seat, slightly different bar bend, things that you may need to customize anyway.

Gustavo
  11. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, unfortunately those are as hard to find too. I will keep an eye out though, thanks for the suggestion.
  12. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Same deal near me. I’ve checked all local dealers sites, and nothing. Power sport dealers are closed mondays, so I’ll call around tomorrow and cross my fingers.

On paper the 300 rally checks so many boxes for me. If I have to order one, does anyone work for a dealer and happen to know a rough timeline?
  13. Josiahxr

Josiahxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't work for a dealer I've called around and have a deposit on one. I've been told end of September now and some other dealers I've talked to said November and some don't even give an answer. I don't think they really know for sure this is in PA.
  14. Sneeze Juice

Sneeze Juice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brutal. Weird time to be alive.
  15. Bill Dirt

Bill Dirt Trooper

Oddometer:
    I tried a couple searches with no luck...I was wondering what someone that came from a WR250R thought of the CRF300?
  16. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember a comment about the WR having a much better suspension and the 300 having much better low and mid RPM power.

I really like the factory gearing for off road . . . I am thinking about a JTR210.38 steel rear sprocket to drop the RPM 5% cruising. The low RPM torque may handle 5% taller gearing on the trails. The 300’s went to a 8mm sprocket bolt to save weight.
    I may have to slip the clutch a bit on sharp (walk-speed) turns.

D302B15A-2A96-40B5-A2A2-348EAEFCCF07.png
  17. Johnnyadv43

Johnnyadv43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ever make your way towards Sacramento, you can test ride on my 300 rally.
    amol likes this.
  18. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you ! I might take you up on that !
    Johnnyadv43 likes this.
  19. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I reckon that might work fine. I changed the tyres yesterday and I reckon the larger diameter of the MT21's that I fitted has raised the gearing a little. I will bring the GPS next time out to check that out. Perhaps if You haven't already done so change the tyres first ?
    mcmann likes this.
  20. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have owned a WR250R, a Rally 250, and now a Rally 300 and CRFL300.

Here are my comments on the Rally 250 vs the WR250R:

"I owned a WR250R for a couple of riding seasons and about 10K miles. Great little bike, really enjoyed it. Overall, the build quality was higher on the Yamaha, but the standard features and ergos of the Honda are better for my riding style. For longer riding days the Honda is just more relaxed and comfortable. The WR is a more capable tight trails bike and the Honda Rally is a better travelling companion.

Comparing the power of the WR vs Rally is really about what you like: The WR has a great high RPM hit that is fun and addictive. It is almost like when you are on the pipe on a 2 stroke. The Rally has a much deeper bottom end and is more forgiving as it has more power down low and in the mid range but it kind of flattens out in the last 1/4 of the rev band so it kinda asks you not to play there as much.

The WR has more absolute horsepower but if you are not spinning it to the top 1/3 of the rev band the Honda feels more powerful and is just easier to live with if you are riding a long day."

Now, we have a CRF300L (Wife's bike) and Rally300 which I ride. The L model is noticeably lighter and easier to ride than Rally in tighter dirt sections but the Rally is more comfortable on a longer day, especially on the road.

The 300 Honda engine is really good for a small bike. There is so much more bottom end power than on the WR. The WR is a tighter bike ergonomically.

They are all good bikes. The 300 Hondas are better than the WR for the brand of Adventure travel that I like to do, but if you want a high strung trail focused bike the WR is great fun, high quality, and very reliable.