CRF300L and CRF300L Rally

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lapchik, Nov 10, 2020.

1. NateLePain

NateLePain The Illegitimate Painter

Oddometer:
    Ty for this post. I've had 2 WR250s and sold them both without regret. I've wondered if the CRF300 would please me. Your post helped answer many of my questions.

nlp

NJ-Bill and Mister D like this.
  2. Cuttlefish

Cuttlefish Riding to disappear.

Oddometer:
    I would mention this about the WR...adding a Rekluse auto clutch allows the WR to have an almost no stall lugability that makes it really easy to ride in slower, technical terrain and gives excellent traction. So the low down torque advantage of the crf is largely cancelled out by this mod. Mentioning this for WR owners who may not realise this and be thinking of selling their WR due to the torque difference of the two bikes. Rekluse don't make an auto clutch for the crf300s as yet.
    For those who appreciate good suspension the crf 300l will still require work on the front forks and a rear shock replacement to get closer to the stock WR suspension. Expertly re-valved WR suspension will make the gap even larger.
    For a gravel road/back roads tourer the softly suspended Rally with its wind protection for highway stints and larger tank is a great choice.
    Mikec012003 likes this.
  3. LibertyMachine

LibertyMachine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have any bad luck with aftermarket handguards? Lots of options out there, it would be just my luck to buy the one set that doesn't fit well. It seems that most every MFG claims a "universal fit".
    I've had BarkBusters on both my 800GS and my older KLX250, they worked well
  4. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought these UNIVERSAL Hardware Kit -Two Point Mount (Straight 22mm) - Barkbusters Moto
    for the stock handlebars as someone here mentioned that they worked. Unless I'm a complete moron and I'm happy to entertain that thought and fess up if I'm wrong, I can not for the life of me get them to fit correctly.
  5. chopper13

chopper13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just be aware in side your stock bars is a threaded insert,I think 10 mm.so if you don’t replace the bars,it’ll be a bi###ch to remove the incerts
  6. Nickhob

Nickhob Armchair adventurer

Oddometer:
    6 mm thread
  7. LibertyMachine

Oddometer:
    I was planning on drilling and tapping the inserts
    Neil_The_Wheel likes this.
  8. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of doing that. However it occurred to me that I was mounting handguards, not crashbars. They have to be sufficiently robust to protect Your hands against bushes and small branches etc. I obtained some good quality 6mm allen bolts (the type used by Givi to mount top box base plates) and locked everything up. All is well. Imho it will take a hefty wallop to break them, and given that my handguards are old KTM 950 Adventure items which are thick plastic mouldings, I suspect that the guards will deflect before the bolts break. Just some thoughts.
    Gustavo and Vark like this.
  9. LibertyMachine

Oddometer:
    Quite valid, the shear strength on a 6mm bolt (tad smaller than a 1-4"-20) is not insignificant
    Griff2 likes this.
  10. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
  11. LibertyMachine

Oddometer:
  12. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Note: 2018 250 Rally
    DSC_0828[1].JPG DSC_0829[1].JPG DSC_0830[1].JPG DSC_0837[1].JPG DSC_0835[1].JPG DSC_0831[1].JPG DSC_0831[1].JPG
  13. LibertyMachine

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thank you much!
  14. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    The only thing I don't like about the Tusk handguards is for some reason when you pair them with the Tusk Chub 1-1/8" bar (their own product), the backbones don't sit flush with the mounting face on the inner handguard mounts.

Every picture I've seen of them on the OEM bar, they are flush, however.

I'm not sure if it's the Chub bar that is not quite the bend that the handguards were designed for (I believe they are basically identical to the CR bend, and look damn close to the OEM bend), or if the inner mounts were not machined correctly, or maybe I just got a set of backbones that were not bent correctly.
  15. Neil_The_Wheel

Neil_The_Wheel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drilled and tapped my wife’s 300L and it turned out fine and is very solid.
  16. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    FWIW...my Rally 300 for sale in Flea Market..
  17. amol

amol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I really need to try one on for size before I plunk down money on it :)
    inroads likes this.
  18. gmtech

gmtech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just FYI hawkeye honda in davenport iowa has 2 crf300 rallys. one abs and one not. both in stock as of last night. of course I bought a 18 250rally last month because they said they wouldn't have any for stock this year...
    jon_l, amol and Vark like this.
  19. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got on a waiting list, with the dealer I prefer, for a $250 refundable deposit. Six 300 Rallys were allocated to the dealer for 2021, and 6 people were ahead of me with deposits.

After all 6 were delivered, I emailed the dealership guy, who is fair and honest (I have bought and sold 6 or so bikes with him) and asked him to return my deposit.

He replied "sure Jon, but.... it turns out that there is another one in transit to us now, which would be yours. Come sit on it before you decide."

kaa.JPG

What can I say, depending on the in-person evaluation, I may get a 300 Rally after-all!
    GregDavidL, Griff2 and Mister D like this.
  20. Jakebrake

Jakebrake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have one and you won’t regret buying it