CRF300L and CRF300L Rally

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lapchik, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    I don't have one but I'd second the "you won't regret buying it"
  2. Keep_it_on_the_DL

Keep_it_on_the_DL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked my new Rally ABS on Saturday. Dealer just happened to have received one that didn't have a deposit. I went home and got my 450L and traded that thing in.

Hate to say, I already have an issue with it. Front wheel has a fairly significant amount of radial runout. Bike has a pretty bad hop that I initially thought might be a bad tire or really out of balance. After throwing the bike on the stand and spinning the wheel, it's very obvious. We'll see if Honda throws me a new wheel or has the dealer true the rim. It'll come out if they want to detension and properly retension the wheel. Can't help but figure this type of QC issue is becoming more commonplace.

Other than that issue and the terrible rear shock, I love the bike. Called up K-Tech Suspension and they are sending me a rear shock and fork spring. That'll address the one major shortcoming on this bike. Then it'll be a matter of figuring out what sort of luggage setup I want and sorting a few other little bits.

IMG_20210718_141819_174.jpg
    Snarfblatt, Tritwin, Bhart89 and 4 others like this.
  3. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the exact same problem. My dealer re-trued the wheel quickly and it is all good now. While the wheel was off the bike I balanced it as well, can't hurt.
  4. mellroc

mellroc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s Christmas in July.
    I ordered these bits the same week I took delivery of my bike (months ago) but they’ve only just arrived this week.
    Looking forward to getting this thing to perform a bit closer to my WR.
    B94209D6-58C0-4899-AD7C-646305289699.jpeg 8542406B-75E8-49E6-9099-47136121B41E.jpeg
    Snarfblatt, DrHeinrich, Fast1 and 6 others like this.
  5. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    melroc do get back with the diff' those make thanks
  6. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    keep it on the DL, can you write up a brief comparison on riding diff between the 300 & 450? thanks
  7. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    check this online price, and its not complete, there are other BS fees not added in fine print, ouch...
    Tracy Motorsports lists transportation, added mark-up, and total price for clarity. No hidden fees

MSRP:…………..…...… $5,249.00
    Unit Price:………..….. $5,249.00

Honda Rebate…...... $0.00
    Sale Price:………...… $5,249.00 +*
    Transportation:……. $380.00 Factory charge
    Added Mark-Up:….. $960.00
    Total:………..…....…… $6,589.00 +*government fees,taxes,finance charges,dealer document prep charge, electronic filing fees,tire tax.
  8. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    melroc what kind of shock is that?
  9. Windy Withers

Windy Withers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem with the front wheel, they trued it up and it was warranty work
  10. mellroc

mellroc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a Nitron. I've had them on my last 3 bikes and always thought they were a very high quality piece of kit.
    My only complaint for the CRF300L model is, while it has rebound and compression damping adjustability, it's with a SINGLE screw (they don't offer their fancier configurations for the CRF300L).
    Also, no external reservoir, but I trust they know what they're doing.
    You CAN get it with an external hydraulic preload adjuster, but I plan to crash this bike a lot. I don't want anything else dangling underneath the bike.
  11. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    any other pros you have noticed on the 300 over the 450L you traded in for your type of riding?
    Bhart89 and mellroc like this.
  12. Swamper

Swamper Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Oddometer:
    Sure would like to hear your review of the 450, looks like a wonderful bike, other than a little heavy.
  13. Smokeyman

Smokeyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m on the fence between the 450 L and a 300 what did you hate about the 450 that made you trade that quickly?
  14. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    My thoughts for what they are worth.

I got rather enthusiastic about the 450L when it was first presented. I felt it was what we all were waiting for. I had the 250L at the time. I then had a short ride on the 450 and that ride plus the cost put me off. I felt too much vibration to cope with for a long road ride, which is inevitable with trail riding. The seat was just too narrow for a long ride also. I had given up a KTM 690 for the CRF250L but I felt that the 450 was a step back towards what I had left behind. I was seeking a nice mid range motor with sufficient flywheel to soften the power pulses and make the motor easy to live with, and the 450 didn't have that. I had hoped for a 450 version of the 250L but it simply wasn't there. The 450L was an enduro bike with some mods to make it road legal. If I had wanted that I would have purchased a 450X and done my own mods.
    I now have the 300 with sufficient mods for my purposes and am very happy.
    Snarfblatt, OneAUout, emoose and 4 others like this.
  15. Myrks

Myrks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting for a larger and transparent third party plastic tank, but it doesn't look like anybody is about to produce one soon. I guess the rally tank wouldn't fit on a CRF300L?
    mellroc likes this.
  16. TheAtom26

TheAtom26 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While I think it would technically fit to the "core" of the bike (the Rally is the same bike underneath as the non-Rally model, after all) - your challenge would be in where the tank meets the seat and plastic body work (both of which are quiet different in those areas on the Rally).
  17. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    450 maintenance schedule certainly is a negative compared to the 300
  18. Smokeyman

Smokeyman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you , I wish the 300 was a 350 , but have had concerns about exactly what you said .
    HighwayChile likes this.
  19. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There was a post in a 300L Facebook group that IMS is looking to produce a larger tank early next year, or possibly the end of this year based on demand. The person posting claimed to get this information directly from IMS and encouraged anyone interested in a larger tank to email IMS and inquire about it.
  20. mellroc

mellroc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just did.