CRF300L and CRF300L Rally

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lapchik, Nov 10, 2020.

1. daninghram

daninghram Duck,Duck,Goose.

Oddometer:
    I ordered a shock and spring last week. I hope it ships soon.
  2. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hi. i like 300L but i would like have bigger fuel tank like on rally (i dont like so many plastic on rally model) does exist some aftermarket bigger fuel tank for 300L please? i can not find it. i want exchange front light- thats not reason for me buy rally version.
    i think fuel tank from rally will not fit 300L because side panels are different.
    thank you
  3. Johannes Carlsson

Johannes Carlsson Spreadsheet Racer

Oddometer:
    At least IMS will do one and probably Acerbis also, but haven't seen one out yet. Expecting early spring there will be some available
    rolinrok likes this.
  4. TheSweeper

TheSweeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they could get them out before Christmas, it would be smart. Santa needs one.
  5. TonyRDR

TonyRDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. GreyDawggg

GreyDawggg Adventure seeker

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to build mine up. Its never going to be a powerful bike but after spending a few grand setting it up how you like, suspension etc it will make a great little adventure bike with long service intervals.

One of the great things about adv riding is that there is a multitude of options and ways you can customise your bike to your own individual needs and preferences. I've enjoyed my last 2 bikes even though they were very different, ktm 640 adventure & ttr 250. Both served their purpose and I had alot of fun on them.

For me one of the biggest things on any bike is a awesome seat so I've ordered a new spare seat and getting it rebuilt & upholstered with suede. My 640 adventure had a custom renazco seat and it was magic on long outback trips.

All the bits and bobs for the bike rocking up just need the damn thing to arrive already Looking forward to designing and fabbing up some bits for the bike too.
    Rockfish Dave likes this.
  7. Myrks

Myrks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The CRF is not a pure offroad bike, so comparing it with full offroad bikes doesn't make any sense. Yes - the suspension has to be changed and it doesn't have a lot of power, but it does have enough power for everything - also with a lot of luggage. It definitely isn't a bike for, self called "non beginners", with a main activity of pulling wheelies all day.
    You can easily cruise on a highway for hours, without getting numb hands. The lack of power can also make it more relaxed to handle it offroad. It's not a dirt bike, but it's offroad capability is still not bad. It is dead reliable - doesn't matter, if you're riding at sea level or 14000ft altitude. Spare parts are cheap, it's easy to service and repair everywhere in the world, it's "light", it has a very low fuel consumption and (at least with a third party tank) a very high range. It still is cheap - even, if you do all the necessary upgrades e.g. suspension, tank etc. + you can buy it in countries with emission restrictions. Some people might call it a beginners bike - other people would see one of the best RTW bikes available these days.
  8. wildduck

wildduck CRF 300 L

Oddometer:
    For most of us, the CRF is a 98% bike. The 2% your missing are these rare moments when you really (do you?) need more power or less weight (e.g., lift it up). I have aftermarket suspension on the CRF, front and rear, and with that, you can go off-road as far and fast as you like. People looking for maxed-out air-time are anyhow on the wrong bike. And the 690 has simply too much power off-road - unless you are a young and fearless super talent, you barely go full-throttle at 7trpm at 90 miles over rough terrain on such a bike. As a road and travel bike the KTM Enduro is perfect.

As we talk, where is KTM’s Enduro for the masses? 390 Enduro with 140kg and 42 hp - everything they need is in their shelves, they just need to assemble it. But hesitate to do so.

I will stick to the CRF 300 L, it’s all I ever need and wanted … and I assume, my next bike will have a battery.
  9. Johannes Carlsson

Oddometer:
    I'm considering going knocking on KTMs door and see if they will take me in to get that CRF300L killer 390 Enduro done.. would be fun
  10. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i can not decide 300l or 390 adv. i like more power on 390 adv- but i am afraid from that so much electronic :(
  11. cpc

cpc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This isn't really a dilemma. These two bikes have different uses.
  12. Johannes Carlsson

Oddometer:
    If you want to go offroad the CRF300L will do it, with the 390 Adventure you should probably stay on what can be defined as road, a bad one but still a road of some sort.

I'm considering getting a 390 Adventure and turn it into a lighter scrambler, but the electronics i would like to reduce. Probably won't do it and just get a CRF300L or a big bore kit for the KLX250S
  13. Johannes Carlsson

Oddometer:
    If your intended use is in between i see the point. Or just the fear of the CRF300L being to slow on asfalt, because if the CRF300L had 15l fuel tank 40hp and 35Nm or so, similar to the 390 Adventure. It would be an easy choice even as a only one bike choice.

With the sub 30hp bikes, there's still an itch for a more powerful "street" bike
    randypower likes this.
  14. xNOKIAx

xNOKIAx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i agree with you. littlebit more power on 300L and i have winner. i like look that bike, offroad ability, weight, simply electronic, nothing fancy.
  15. Johannes Carlsson

Oddometer:
    With some mods i have seen people getting over 40hp from the engine so there´s more to get even without going big bore kit. However that would have been nice if it came stock.
    Since Kawasaki did the lazy way of making it bigger on the KLX by just increasing the bore (there´s proven reliable kits on the aftermarket) I guess the Honda CRF300L have some advantage there. Slight bore increase, titanium pipe and maybe some airbox tweaks might be all it takes?
  16. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    The 300 is just 100 cc away from being my unicorn bike. I like the stock bike a lot and, for my use, only two areas are in need of an upgrade - the suspension (easily addressed) and the motor. I weigh 210. That plus luggage and the stock bike won't cruise 70 except on level ground and no appreciable headwind. Since I'm using the bike as a lightweight adventure bike, I'd really like it to be able to maintain highway speeds under most conditions.

Hopefully someone will come out with a big bore kit for it.

[​IMG]
    daninghram likes this.
  17. Johannes Carlsson

Oddometer:
    There's already big bore kits out there. The base of the engine is the same as the CBR300 and 250l so those fitted big bore kits can be used, just check compression ratios etc. Thicker gasket fixes that.

I did 130km/h (~80mph) on the 250 Rally, and my KLX have no issues keeping 70, how can you not cruise at 70? Or do you need to downshift to 5th?
    Tire pressure?
  18. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    maybe look at 550 performance for a ecu reflash and upgrade your exhaust/airbox https://www.550performance.com/
  19. Trail Boss

Trail Boss World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer:
    Thank you. If someone doesn’t come out with a 350 big bore kit in the next year I expect I will settle for a 550 performance ECU reflash, an exhaust system, opening up the air box, and a 38 tooth rear sprocket. In the meantime. I’m holding off for now.
  20. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend Supporter

Oddometer:
    mellroc likes this.