CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. paprides

paprides Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    I'll readily admit every drop/slide/stop is different but i'll still - against my better judgement - add my $.02. Your gear (Wandering_Larry) looks exactly like some Triumph branded gear I tried. a 20 mph low side on damp asphalt shredded the gear.
    In contrast:
    a 60 mph 'get off,' (again a low side) on asphalt/gravel/stop in my Aerostich Roadcrafter revealed no appreciable shredding of the outer shell. In fact, the 2003 Model was checked in Duluth found in perfect repair and is still on the road today. My newer Aerostich Darien has only suffered 'stop 'n' drops,' with no sliding so can't compare the survivability of the suit in anecdotal terms.
    Heavy though, for off asphalt riding.
    Too heavy, I'm guessing for the gnarly, single track stuff.

Colour/color me a fan of the 'Stich.
    wisbadger likes this.
  2. On the dry side

On the dry side Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RE: Heat from the Catalytic Convertor (stock pipe) where my right leg is when standing and radiator fan running a lot.

Issue: The heat from the exhaust, right at the right leg frame, pipe, plastics has been a significant annoyance for me. I have not been able to get a firm answer on the cause (yes, lots of discussion, guesses, etc.) but I had to know, so I ordered the Moto X exhaust as a costly experiment. Here are my thoughts/results.

Good: The oppressive heat from the cat area is gone. There is still what I consider "normal" heat from the engine and exhaust pipes, but the significant (500+ F) heat is gone. It does not radiate and annoy me when standing anymore (still warm, but not HOT).

Neutral: Coming from someone who does NOT like a loud exhaust, it is not too bad. Below 5000 RPM it seems like stock, and only gets louder above that range. I would choose quieter if I had the option, but I can live with it.

Negative: I really feel like I lost some power, both on the top and bottom end. Hopefully it is running lean, and a reflash will remedy that. But defiantly not happy from a performance standpoint (all else is stock on the bike).

The fan still runs just as much, or maybe more. I presume it from the "lean" condition that many said would happen with just an exhaust.

Summary: I know many were never bothered by the heat, but for those that are, hopefully this will help and gives you some direction. I am still not sure it is the right bike for me, but that is another issue.

On a side note, here is the Rally with the side fairings removed - someone had to do it:

IMG_0757.jpg
    Snarfblatt, jwnsc, randypower and 9 others like this.
  3. Hammerski

Hammerski n00b

Oddometer:

Would it be possible to get a few photos of your chopped faring? I recently cracked the lower half of mine and am thinking of doing the same.
  4. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I was riding last weekend I had opportunity to ride while standing more/for longer stretches and I could finally feel the heat others were talking about. When seated I don't notice it, really only when standing. I'm also just wearing hikers at the moment, wondering if full on riding boots will make it better or worse? I got the bike after the height of summer heat here, so not sure just how bad it will feel next summer.

I am hesitant to swap exhaust mainly due the sound issue, I much prefer a quiet bike. Looking forward to your results with a re-flash.
    On the dry side likes this.
  5. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Hopefully the muscle is the culprit. Take it easy for a couple of days.

Check the footpeg stop. On the 250 they had a habit of pushing into the frame if the bike was dropped heavily on the footpeg.
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Get well soon. Seems lots of commodities worldwide are in short supply because of this damned covid.
    Wandering_larry likes this.
  7. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was the second place I looked, being aware of the issue on the 250s. There’s a small scratch in the paint where the peg stop hit the frame. No cracks or dents.

I’m mostly surprised there isn’t a single mark on the plastics or exhaust. It wasn’t a hard drop, but I didn’t ease it down either. I pretty much just let it go in a (vain) attempt to not injure my back further.
    randypower and Griff2 like this.
  8. cleanandjerk

cleanandjerk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd also like to chop the lower part of the fairings off my Rally - do you have any tips on getting a good result? I don't want to make a pig's ear of it!

Two more questions:-

1) Where did you buy the frame guards from?

2) Which bash plate is that?

I'm also very keen to hear if a re-flash resolves the power loss you are experiencing after fitting the Moto-X exhaust. Please let us know.

Thanks!
    Snarfblatt likes this.
  9. On the dry side

Oddometer:
    As far as cutting the fairing, it is pretty simple. Only one cut on each side. I cut along the black plastic bit right where it starts to bend out. The left side has some electronics behind the plastic so do not cut too high. You will need to zip tie them higher up to get them out of the way. After taping where I wanted to cut, I used a super small drill bit and drilled holes along the line. Then when I cut with a very fine saw; it did not break or chew up the plastic.

The frame guards and skid plate are both from Bikerzbits in Thailand, which by the way, has amazing shipping. I get things in 3 days from them.
    Snarfblatt and wisbadger like this.
  10. cleanandjerk

cleanandjerk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the prompt and detailed response!
  11. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the MotoX exhaust on order, too. You are the second person I’ve heard state that the system is reasonably quiet on the CRF300L. Which 550Performance reflash will you choose? I was thinking the “91 Octane” would do the most good, and if it runs rich I can vent the airbox lid with some Uni filter vents to fine tune.The “Thai reflash” looks good also (and likely allows regular fuel), but the “91O” advances the timing more and reduces the closed loop portion of the mapping. Your feedback will be appreciated.
  12. daninghram

daninghram Duck,Duck,Goose.

Oddometer:
    This showed up today. I am amazed ordered on Sept 6 was here from Thailand on Sept 10. Very nice for the cost smaller than I was thinking but not complaining. I am used to a Cycleracks rack.
    20210910_203750.jpg
    schmack b, wisbadger and Blackshirt like this.
  13. wisbadger

wisbadger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm really liking that look ... might be a winter project for me :)
    I see you've also installed risers and zeta guards ... handlebar swap also?? Any interference issues with the control cables??
  14. On the dry side

Oddometer:
    Stock bars. I was heading out on the Idaho BDR when I bought the bike and didn’t have time for new bars. Hand guards and risers fit great once those bar weights are removed. No cable issues.
    wisbadger likes this.
  15. On the dry side

Oddometer:
    Sounds like 91 is the way to go with a full exhaust.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  16. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
  17. Firecatdude

Firecatdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, would the zeta handguards fit ok without the risers and using stock 6mm bolt in bar weights? Also, which clamp option did you use for where they clamp to the bar? I believe they have a couple of options. Thanks. I am leaving my bars stock. They work for me as is.
  18. On the dry side

Oddometer:
    I tried using the 6mm option and tapping the bar weights, but I couldn't get it to work. One of the weights just spun in the bar, and the other was cross threaded or something. It was just a better fit to remove them and once you figure out how they are attached, not a big issue. I used the Zeta Adventure with the U clamps and there are no fit issues, with or without risers.
    Firecatdude and wisbadger like this.
  19. Dmorcos

Dmorcos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How did you remove the weights? thanks
  20. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    when i removed mine they were spinning and the screw wouldn’t come out so I clamped the weight and the screw cam right out