CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. fastnlight

fastnlight Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Tire update.

With about 2500 miles on them, the Dunlop 605s were getting thin for my taste (3mm knob center rear) so I swapped the set out for IRC TR8 tires because I wanted something more aggressive for a sandy trip coming up, plus my winter riding will be muddy. They started out pretty nervous feeling at speeds above 40, but settled in after the first 100 miles to feel like a better version of the stock tires with more off road grip, and a bit less high speed stability on the pavement. Now after 400 miles of mixed riding in moderate temps, I can say they stick well to both surfaces, and paved corners still feel pretty good, in fact better than the stockers, but over 60mph, they are a wiggly set of rubber and only passable if you don't mind the bike feeling floaty and loose. I also lost 5 mph on the top end due to the added rolling resistance. In the dirt, they have more traction than I am used to after riding larger ADV bikes, and I am actually having to get used to the bike hooking up well both front and rear, and making me work a little more to manage the bars and tail end grab. For the cost, they seem like a decent set of offroad bias dual sport tires, and I will report back as they wear more. The rear center is down from 10mm to 9mm and thats not too bad in my experience with such a poky set of knobs. https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Ab1xsYk9wFWgzjX7

Greg
    Nyufuka and Fast1 like this.
  2. dosguide

dosguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys, need some help as a novice rider here. Took my Rally out Sunday and got stuck in some deceptively soupy clay. There was not enough wheelspin in the world to power out of it so long story short, I winched the bike to solid ground and loaded it up in the truck after 7 hours in the middle of nowhere. The trouble now is that I'm not getting any power to the wheel. Starts and runs fine, shifts through the gears fine, but when I let out the clutch is has just the slightest bit of a lurch forward and then nothing in any gear.
    I have a lot of cleaning up to do to get all the mud and clay off before I can really dig into it, but what should I be looking for? Clutch cable? Front sprocket? I'm a fairly capable mechanic but just not well-versed in the ins and outs of motorcycles and hoping someone can help narrow my focus to a prime suspect if possible. Thanks!

IMG_0601.jpg
    Aces 6 likes this.
  3. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks pretty darned stuck..Did you smell anything while stuck in the mud while attempting to get out? I'm betting you burned up your clutch.
    Griff2 and dosguide like this.
  4. GTflyer0116

GTflyer0116 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Potentially the kickstand relay/sensor is faulty after the incident? If the motor runs in neutral and it's just when you let the clutch out with the bike in gear, then it could be a possibility?
    rolinrok and dosguide like this.
  5. dosguide

dosguide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never smelled anything and was intentionally trying to be careful not to do so.

Also ruled that out, kickstand kill switch still works as designed. Engine still runs fine in neutral and in gear.
  6. Cabrito

Cabrito Looking for work Supporter

Oddometer:
    kickstand kill switch was a good idea, but if not that then I would pull the side cover and check the clutch plates.
    Griff2 likes this.
  7. Woodybiff

Woodybiff n00b

Oddometer:
    My first post here after having my Sally 286 for 3 months. Sharing my Giant Loop Fender Bag mounted to the rear after slightly hollowing out the orange plastic pieces only slightly and it pops right onto the rear rack mounts like it was meant to be. I also used the GL Strap Mounts screwed into where the bottom plastic used to mount to. Seemed like a nice upgrade after cracking the plastic on the trail the first couple rides. Looks much nicer with the SRC Bash Plate, Master Cylinder Cover, Tail Tidy and Header Heat Guard. Shaved the seat down about an inch or so and tapered the side edges. At 5’7” I can now almost put my feet flat on the ground with boots on.

Cheers!

AF5FEC45-0EF4-4D7A-8779-F391E891B447.jpeg CD996CE8-BC08-4A31-A659-A9A85F6E6117.jpeg 0454BEE9-147A-4AD4-9D88-07D5DACA833E.jpeg
  8. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there anyone out there with experience with the assist/slipper style clutch in the 300 and other models? Maybe a little bit of "extra" wear, and the "ramps" won't be able to compensate and the whole clutch pack slips and there's no engagement.
  9. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It should be trouble free.
    I had speculated the 4,500-5,000 RPM chatter is actually noise from the clutch pack . . . which only has 3 springs.
    27C8594B-39B9-42B8-9E6A-A176A059E521.jpeg

Someone should try a carbon fiber clutch cover.
    I do not notice any chatter after 900 miles on my Rally.
    6FDB9810-AB13-441B-9265-37EA1D8A5313.png
    Griff2 likes this.
  10. tas152

tas152 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode my 300L for the first time today without earplugs and noticed the "chatter" noise for the first time. I have only done 700km ( 430 miles). The noise stops if I quickly shut the throttle off. It sounds (to me) like the noise is coming from the left side of the engine. I wonder if it is a noisy fuel injector solenoid. Just a thought.
  11. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I'm quite sure the rattle is nothing to worry about. I had the 250 for about 35,000kms and when I moved to the 300 I heard nothing unusual about the motor that wasn't the norm for the 250 also. It crops up here every now when new members join the thread with a new bike. I too believe that the primary drive/clutch or a related element is the cause, but until it was raised by some on here I had'nt even been aware of it tbh :-)
    emoose and mcmann like this.
  12. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    @mcmann : Yup, after a review of the clutch picture, I think my most recent clutch commentary was pretty lame. Maybe "dosguide" will let us know what was the culprit as he digs into the failure mode after the mudbath.
  13. Diskodik

Diskodik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello.
    I am reaching out to you for help. I changed my handlebars on my CRF300 Rally some month ago becouse the bar was a little bit to low and a lot to close to my body when standing up. The bar was changed by my dealer. When the job was done and I left the dealer I forget to take the old bars with me. After changing to Renthal RC with 20mm risers the bars is now a little bit to high (easily fixed) but also makes me really fatigue when riding on long trips. I am now looking for another bar and want the original bar for reference. Do someone still have the old bar After replacing with new bar? And if you do, is it possible to send me the dimensions of the bar? I really appreciate the help
  14. YahyeeDooby

YahyeeDooby Confused

Oddometer:
    Read the entire thread but couldn't see a clear answer to this - apologies if I missed it.
    Hoping to check in with some others about their experience with the Thai ECU / Thai reflash.
    Has the richer mixture helped reduce the heat radiating from the cat and exhaust?

Further, anyone have good heat reduction from an aftermarket slip on or full exhaust? I saw one comment that heat seemed reduced with the moto X but power also seemed down.
  15. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where a richer mixture can cause an engine to run cooler, a richer mixture can cause the catalytic converter to heat up *more*, which in turn can damage the cat.

This is true in any vehicle.
    Blackshirt and YahyeeDooby like this.
  16. YahyeeDooby

YahyeeDooby Confused

Oddometer:
    Oh true, thanks for the heads up. Still have a bit to learn! I suppose my only option is a new exhaust. Would love to hear how others' heat levels changed with exhaust swaps
  17. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, unfortunately, I think eliminating the cat is the only way to get rid of the heat. But without a proper tune, you’re going to be running lean. And there haven’t been enough people working on tuning this engine yet.

I’m planning on just waiting until others work this out. The extra heat will be nice in the winter, and I think there’ll be good data for what works and what doesn’t by next summer.
    YahyeeDooby and wisbadger like this.
  18. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try to PM folks who have the ECU you are interested in. "oldmanupstateny" and "snarfblatt" both have real Thai ECU's, "inroads" has a "thai reflash". Maybe they can provide "hands on" feedback

I'm personally interested in regular gas with a "91 octane" tune, and ANY MPG effects with any different ECU's
    YahyeeDooby likes this.
  19. jpm1st44

jpm1st44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have a moto x exhaust system. baffle removed. air box mods.

with exhaust and pipe. i had more power than stock.

added 91 octane ecu tune, even more power than stock.

pipe is louder, i wear ear plugs most of the time though.

heat on the header, is much more than stock. will burn holes in pants. need to order a heat shield for the header .

mileage is 60mpg on roads, was 70-75mpg stock.
    YahyeeDooby likes this.
  20. jroberts427

jroberts427 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you detail/post a pic of the air box mod? Thanks.