CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. rolinrok

rolinrok Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not OP, but I have one of these on order from crfsonly and will probably remove the stock snorkel as well.
  2. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those UNI airbox vents are the business. They’re filtered and they keep mice out. You will need a 1” diameter hole saw and a drill to install them.
    Alfred_Bham and rolinrok like this.
  3. On the dry side

On the dry side Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting as I have very different results. I have the Moto X full exhaust and pipes installed with no other mods and the power is WAY down both at the bottom and top end. I will be doing the 91 ECU reflash when I have a chance. And the heat from the Catalytic Convertor is way down and more comfortable. The heat from the header pipes seems about the same. Just my 2 cents.
    YahyeeDooby likes this.
  4. YahyeeDooby

YahyeeDooby Confused

Oddometer:
    Wish I could, brand new to the forum and don't have PM access yet I don't think
  5. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the best way to make the 1” hole is with a “Step Drill”. Harbor Freight has a good selection!!

5B27FA08-DA99-41AB-A252-4BF2E5A9CE17.png
  6. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just say hallo,

waiting for my CRF300L since early july... ETA is next week!

already bought some goodies ready to be installed :ricky (Li-ion batt. the new acerbis skid plate and renthal handlebar)

cheers!
    randypower, SkipperC, mullman and 3 others like this.
  7. ArmoredVeh

ArmoredVeh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just curious about the heat from the catalytic converter ... if it's as bad as some suggest and since the cat is so close to the shock, has anyone noticed a performance degradation from their stock or aftermarket shock on longer rides?
  8. mullman

mullman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Inmates,

I have an Adventuring Spec mini fairing/nav tower coming in today for my 300L and want to ensure the torque settings of the fork pinch bolts on the triple clamp. 21 ft/lbs?

This is the suckiest owners manual I’ve ever seen! Even my 1981 XR80 (yep, I’m that old) manual listed basic maintenance and torque settings!
    BaddogLT likes this.
  9. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    If there is a degradation in performance of my YSS shock, to date I have not noticed it. There is also the risk of the heat hastening wear in the shock. Most shocks get hot under use and this is no exception but it is difficult to ascertain how much hotter is is getting as a result of close proximity to the Cat. Imho the slower one goes the more the heat is likely to affect the shock as there will be less cooling air circulating around it to mitigate the radiated heat.
  10. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s not “bad”, but it is very noticeable to me. Not a big deal, though. I’m not rushing to swap the exhaust (I’ll do that next summer, maybe), and I’m certainly not regretting my purchase.

I poked around as best I could with an IR thermometer, and the heat seems fairly well managed for how hot the cat gets. I don’t think the shock gets much at all. Most of what is felt is just hot air rising up under my thigh.

I would be very careful about strapping on a tailpack or soft panniers, however. Choose the wrong tie points, and you’ll easily melt your straps.
    Griff2 likes this.
  11. Alfred_Bham

Oddometer:
    Section 1, , , page 18 in the “Service Manual” confirms the 21 lb-ft torque of the four 8mm top bridge pinch bolts.
    mullman likes this.
  12. rolinrok

rolinrok Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The service manual lists the torque values for top and bottom pinch bolts as 29 N-m (3.0 kgf-m, 21 lbf-ft)
    mullman likes this.
  13. V35A

V35A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have now logged about 300 miles on my new 300L ABS. Much of the information contained in this thread has been very helpful, and I'd like to thank all owners who took the time to post. So now it's my turn to contribute......here are my initial impressions of the bike:
    1. I do not have any issues with the heat. To me it is pretty normal for this type of small naked bike with a catalytic converter. I do always ride in full protective gear, so perhaps that shields me from the heat somewhat (not sure), but in my opinion the exhaust heat is just not an issue. The only way to significantly reduce the heat is to remove the cat.....ECU mods are not the solution IMO. I also own a KTM 690, and the muffler/cat on that thing is hotter than the sun - the 300 is actually cool by comparison.
    2. The suspension is very soft (as expected). There is not much pre-load adjustment, but I have it screwed down to the max setting for my 200 lb riding weight. For me the stock suspension is fine for dirt/gravel roads at moderate to slow speeds. I cannot comment on how the suspension might fare with faster or more aggressive riders. I currently see no need to change the suspension, although I may ride the bike for a few months and then reconsider. I'll admit that it might be nice to have a fully dialed in Ohlins package with stiffer springs and adjustable comp/rebound......but it is definitely not required in my opinion.
    3. In my opinion the "twitchy" throttle is to be expected with this type of bike (light weight, high compression engine, low inertia flywheel, lean mixture, chain slack, etc.) As others have pointed out, a lot of what people are experiencing is the transition back and forth from engine braking. A G3 throttle tamer will not help with engine braking, but it might make things a little smoother when you get back on the throttle.....so might be worth a try. In the meantime, IMO this issue is best addressed with the clutch lever.
    4. I am using the stock bars and they are adequate for my purposes. I can verify that Zeta Armor Bend handguards will fit the stock bars very well if using the Zeta front fork mount brackets (I was not comfortable with how much the regular Zeta brackets interfered with the clutch and brake lines). I elected to drill and tap the stock bar ends to 8mm for the Zeta guards. I also rotated the front brake reservoir line down slightly to better clear the right side fork mount bracket.
    5. I installed the cheap Amazon folding hand levers that someone mentioned on this forum. They fit great and seem to be good quality for the price.
    6. The seat is way more comfortable than I expected. I almost ordered a Seat Concepts seat before I even had the bike, but now I am glad I waited. I am going to put a few hundred more miles on the stock seat before I even consider a replacement.
    7. The power is pretty much as expected. More than enough for back roads and dirt/gravel, OK for highway speeds up to 70 mph or so as long as the hills aren't too steep. I have been on one or two interstate hills where a downshift was necessary to keep up with traffic. Please note that I am on the east coast, and have not had the bike higher than 3500 feet above sea level.
    Overall, this bike has exceeded my expectations. It is not perfect, but it is a really nice dual sport for the price, and is pretty much ready to ride in stock form. If you need more power, lighter weight, or better suspension, there are other alternatives out there (e.g. KTM 350 EXC). But for the money I feel that this bike is a pretty good value, and so far I have absolutely no regrets with the purchase.
  14. Huebinator

Huebinator n00b

Oddometer:
    I swapped the bars on my 300 rally with the ProTaper SE bars in the "CR High" bend and they looked very close to the same dimensions as the stock bars. You can go to the technical info section on this page to see the full dimensions.

https://www.protaper.com/product/88/se-handlebars/black
  15. Diskodik

Diskodik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  16. Diskodik

Diskodik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have link to the levels you bought?
  17. jpm1st44

jpm1st44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just removed backfire screen on the air filter. i removed the snorkle, but put it back in, i didnt want water to hit my air filter when riding or washing the bike. the snorkle directs any water to the bottom of the air box. i may install uni air vents. bike had more power with snorkle removed.
  18. V35A

V35A Adventurer

Oddometer:
    rolinrok likes this.
  19. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    300L just arrived at the dealer. Picking it up tomorrow.
  20. Alfred_Bham

Oddometer:
    @Wonger20 …….mine arrived at my N. GA. Dealer as well. I’ll pick it up tomorrow, , , Friday the 17th!!
    Wonger20, mcmann and schmack b like this.