CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. outdoorgb

outdoorgb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too am liking the 38T... 1st and 2nd work better for my rides. If it were steeper, more technical, probably would leave 40T on.
    Bolts for tapered sproket: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMZEUP2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
    (yes, you can buy some for 1/2 that...I like this company)

Torque specs per OEM are 24 ft-lb (32.5 Nm) and 25 ft-lb (33.9Nm) per JT.
    zooomer, mcmann, Adamèl and 4 others like this.
  2. Rockfish Dave

Rockfish Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone refer me to a reference for the canister and solenoid delete.

Have the bike apart and want to do this before reassembling.

Thank you.
  3. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep I've taken to enjoying North America with my camper van these days...I have a nice bumper carrier for the 125 and a 5x8 enclosed trailer for the 300...both serve me well...my favorite place to spend the summers is Alaska....glad the borders are open again.
    img_9098.jpg
    Griff2, Aces 6, YahyeeDooby and 4 others like this.
  4. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quite tempted by the 38t ...

I use my 300L like a proper dual sport, meaning also 90/100km transfers from home to the riding path.

However I still have the stock exhaust, and will not be able to flash the ecu (euro spec is different and not compatible with the 555 flash which is for US ecu only)

Undecided....

P.s. for the tapered bolts I'd ask a honda dealer honestly
  5. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This one is for the 250L, but should be 100% the same. Only difference is that the PAIR solenoid on the 300L is on the right becauseits mounted on the radiator fan bracket if I'm correct.

https://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lcccmods.htm
    Rockfish Dave likes this.
  6. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another view of the GT Kompozit shield. The dark tint provides a good background for the GPS and instrument screens. The taller height of this shield provides better protection for me and my Zumo XT. In addition, the top 4”-5” section of the shield is raked back to reduce buffeting. At 5’11”, I can see over it pretty easily. It’s an interesting design…we’ll see how it does on a longish ride.

912165F6-7ACE-4FDE-BB95-62FE568310E3.jpeg
    Fast1 and randypower like this.
  7. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm particularly interested in this, and in any comments you have about changes at highway speeds in wind noise from the stock Rally screen.

I'm 6'2" and have a noisy helmet experience... Low frequency rumbling is very pronounced when sitting down. If i stand up (into "clean" air), it's far more quiet.

I wonder if this taller windscreen might make it better or worse for me.
  8. Rockfish Dave

Rockfish Dave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you so much!

Got to love this community!
    Adamèl and randypower like this.
  9. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I managed to install only left hand guard today. Had to play with it a little to get it in place. First, I only opened a hole in the bar but then cut that whole rubber end (photo taken before the cut).

[​IMG]

I bought a M6x40 bolt in a local hardware store and just screwed it into the bar end (actually in the threaded weight stuck in the bar). We’ll see if it’s strong as the original M8x50 bolt which came with Acerbis handg guards (M6x50 is too long and cannot be screwed in all the way!). Had to reposition clutch lever a bit to the right to get enough place for the lever to move. It still lacked a bit of space so I fixed it a bit lower than the aluminum bracket. It should be all right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right handlebar is not as straightforward. I didn’t have a saw to cut that white plastic off.

[​IMG]

Screenshot from Youtube:
    [​IMG]

I’ll borrow a saw tomorrow and will try to finish installation. From what I have seen so far, the right hand guard fits perfectly when just put in position. There’s no need to reposition anything. Break lever has all the space it needs and is 100% protected.

It should look like this when it’s done:
    [​IMG]
    theweezersdad and Adamèl like this.
  10. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Y’all convinced me. I ordered the 38T.

For anyone that’s interested, Rocky Mountain ATV has the sprockets and tapered bolt kits in stock.
  11. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It pulls fine in 6th. IMO, It makes 5th more usable. . . I stay in 5th longer to get up to hwy speeds . . . then shift to 6th for cruising speeds etc. 6,000 RPM = true 60 mph
    Fast1, Adamèl, Grubslinger and 2 others like this.
  12. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a number of folks here who went for a Thai cal reflash of their USA 300 CRF. On page 155 torque specs were quoted which said Thai spec had peak torque of 19.3 lb-ft at 7000 RPM, and Euro spec was 19.6 lb-ft torque at 4750 RPM. It would seem that a reflash of a US or Euro 300 to Thai cal would feel VERY different with power coming on much later. Any opinions?

EDIT: The 19.6 lb-ft @ 4750 was a quote of Honda Pro Kevin....which was a misquote from a different Honda document that specifies 19.6 @6500....which makes more sense.
  13. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a ride with the GTK windshield today. There were no buzzes or weird vibrations initiated by the taller windshield at any speed. It was very solidly mounted. Above 60mph, the bike felt a great deal less busy. It was easier to ride at higher speeds. The 38T rear sprocket notwithstanding, it feels pretty great up to 70 mph. Above that it becomes difficult to maintain velocity when a hill intrudes. However, throughout the ride the bike remained stable and the riding position super-neutral. It feels like there is plenty of air circulating around me, but no buffeting or strong blasts anywhere. As I stated before, this shield may be too tall for folks under 5’10,” but for taller riders it is a great option. My plans include substantial highway miles, so this is a valuable find. The look is slightly insectoid, but it looks cool in a dragonfly kind of way. The price is pretty reasonable, too.

3FADD612-217E-454A-A97C-D7891929AD22.jpeg

3700B417-BF09-4926-9DAC-0F3214FE024B.jpeg

Attached Files:

Fast1, morkys, theweezersdad and 5 others like this.
  14. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry if I missed it- I assume stock chain still works with 38tooth rear? (Meaning there is enough adjustment left to take up the chain slack from a smaller rear sprocket?)
    mcmann and Blackshirt like this.
  15. paprides

paprides Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    Hitch style bike racks:
    I'm liking what these folks are doing. Tilting rack, front wheel well and decent tie down capability. None in stock at the moment though. US and CDN outlet's i'm given to believe (their web page).
    TMC201 MOTORCYCLE CARRIER — DK2 (detailk2.com)
  16. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes…it’s only two links. The bike has ample adjustment.
  17. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you
  18. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting I was just on their site browsing by ride and the crf300l had two rear sprocket options, one steel and one aluminum. Neither one had options less than 40T to select. You got the part #s for what you ordered?
  19. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Part # 1263590155

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/jt-rear-steel-sprocket-p

It’s not specified for the CRF300L. If you search this thread, someone posted a link to the correct sprocket on the JT site: JTR210. I think the correct one says it’s for the 2009 CRF230.
    Rockfish Dave and Adamèl like this.
  20. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rockfish Dave and emoose like this.