CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. Dmorcos

Dmorcos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    Based on Your findings I was also very tempted to go the 38T way. I was satisfited that the change would not adversely affect the more technical offroad aspects of my riding to any significant degree. However enroute to a Trail bike event recently I had some long miles to do on main roads. In the course of that travel I was facing directly into a very strong wind. The little bike held its own in top gear, but only just. At that point I decided I would leave well enough alone because I ride all year and wind can be a frequent visitor at this time of year in Ireland.
    randypower likes this.
  3. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan B: 39T

6A378DDE-49D9-4FD8-8498-34AD1D5AE6A0.jpeg
    morkys likes this.
  4. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A short update... I added a small spacer on the left side. Now, the clutch lever has a bit more space.
    [​IMG]

On the rights side, I had to improvise a bit. I decided not to cut anything off and used M6x30 bolt with a nut and a spacer instead. It might not look as nice as the other one but it fits like a glove and it does not block the gas. I just hope it's sturdy enough but I'll know that once I drop the bike somewhere on the trail. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To sum up: on the left side, I needed a M6x50 bolt and on the right side a M6x30 bolt plus a nut and a spacer. All I needed to do is cut rubber ends of the handlebar grips and tighten the screws. That's it. :)
    [​IMG]
    Adamèl likes this.
  5. outdoorgb

outdoorgb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Advise request

Just got me a renthal 22mm plus a set of acerbis handguards (rally profile)

Now,

1. Cannot find the torque spec for the handlebar clamp - do you guys recommend loctite as well?
    2. The left grip seems literally glued on the stock bar. Did someone removed it in a non destructive way? Or should I go for a new set...
  7. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    K-Tech for kit installed today with a stiffer spring. It's better than stock, not bouncing around near as much and is much more stable on fire roads at speed. We were talking about what changes could be made with this kit and it's limited to fork oil weight as height really wont have a impact unless I make a really big move.
    Still limited by the rear shock until they come on shore so for now I will live with it. Oh and I got a sicker ! IMG_20211022_122145059_HDR.jpg
  8. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Can anyone confirm the location of the OBD connecter plug for the ECU?
  9. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I finally had the chance to pick up a new Non-ABS Rally 300, so I went for it! Will do some research and test riding to see how it works out!
  10. daninghram

daninghram Duck,Duck,Goose.

Oddometer:

I ordered a K-tech rear shock and a fork spring on the 11th. The sales guy said they should be getting them 7 to 10 days. I'm hoping the fork spring will be good enough for the front.
    Dtx915 likes this.
  11. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the 300L the ecu is under the left cowling, near the cooling expansion tank. I believe the OBD2 port should be in that area.

I'll probably give it a look tomorrow, want to plug my obd2 scantool to see if I can read wather temp, the lamba sensor and the likes.
    Rockfish Dave likes this.
  12. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    I’ve looked all around the ECU. Can’t find anything. I found this at the back of the bike. Plugged a 4-pin adapter cable into the red one, but my OBD scanner did not respond.

88650FD5-40A6-4D32-8A8F-5EF66BAFCE22.jpeg
    Adamèl likes this.
  13. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not have been happy with just a spring. The fork was under sprung but I didn't like the action. It's not as compliant as my off road bikes but I won't be picking rock gardens with this bike.
    daninghram likes this.
  14. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would not want to say a stupid thing, but it might be that our North American friends do not have a fully functional OBD2 interface. Here in EU is mandatory as prescribed by the EU5 emission regulation (hence the different ECU and wiring harness?)

I will check my bike soon.
    randypower likes this.
  15. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine so far!!

43E42821-2DD9-467C-901B-260D3C4950AC.jpeg
  17. Dmorcos

Dmorcos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tail tidy changes the look of the bike. (to my liking) :) I have mine cleaned up as well.
  18. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the Honda skidplate today. I’m excited
    schmack b likes this.
  19. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda skid plate is quite nice.

A pain to instal though, the tabs on the bike that it attaches too weren’t perfectly aligned.

Had to chase the threads on the front ones, full of paint I think.

Looks good though and doesn’t need to be removed to drain the oil.

0825BA4C-6B51-46B5-A3E1-334E778E1EE3.jpeg 5D5A0AAD-163D-4DEE-A9C6-B5D5F3C31E2B.jpeg D6BFE265-8DCD-4B3F-9FDF-AFF04B6EE923.jpeg
    outdoorgb, Cabrito, mcmann and 4 others like this.
  20. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also had a few problems installing that skid plate but that was probably more due to my lack of skills. :D I managed to ruin one of the bolts so I replaced both on the front side. :)

[​IMG]

Anyhow, it seems to me that you may have put those rubbers on the wrong side of the skid plate. Or did you use an extra set of rubber between the washer and the plate on the outside?
    [​IMG]

H
    ere are complete installation instructions:
    https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08P70-K1T-E50.pdf