CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re kidding right? The rubber pieces are actually grommets that insert into the holes
  2. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they do insert into the wholes but on the other side of skid plate. At least that’s how I understood from the installation instruction. Shouldn’t you have only the bolt and the washer on the outside of skid plate?
  3. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Skip to 4:00 on this video to see how they insert, you’ll see rubber on both sides of the skidplate

That’s how a grommet works, you’ll notice the OD of the middle of the grommet matches the hole size.
    Cabrito and Nyufuka like this.
  4. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn’t get that from the instructions. Thnx! :) It’s time to correct the mistake on my bike than. :D
    Cabrito and RVDan like this.
  5. birdbreeder

birdbreeder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my new 2021 Honda CRF300L today and thought I'd let any-one who is intered -it's a very nice package to own. I previously had a new 018 CRF250 Rally plus a 020 CRF250L and I can notice the increase in power on the very first ride.
    Very nice slipper clutch and such a light sqeeze with positive gear changes. Over-all its a nice bike to ride

6. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. schmack b

schmack b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used compressed air to get my stock grips off without damaging them. Just blew in from the switch side and slowly pulled it off. Do not use to much air or u can pop the grip like a ballon.
  8. schmack b

schmack b Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Throttle sticking at full-lock to the right.

I was adjusting my throttle free play yesterday, and when I checked the throttle at full lock to the right, it felt like it stuck. Basically, it took more effort to open the throttle from closed and the return didn’t seem to fully close on its own. It’s not massive. Just a slight stickiness when opening and a slight softness when I let it return on its own.

I checked the cable routing to look for binds and tried moving the cables around, but couldn’t figure out what was causing it.

I did change out the handlebars and throttle tube somewhat recently, so I’m wondering if it’s something I did or if others are experiencing the same thing.

I might take everything apart and lube the cables to see if that improves it.
  10. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same issue here noticed half an hour ago. :D Just came back home and noticed that when I was checking how I installed handguards. I took right handguard off just to eliminate it as a cause since this is the only change on the bike (except the skid plate which is not important in this case). Still, at full lock to the right, throttle gets stuck and does not come back. As I slightly moved the handlebar to the left, it got unstuck. Strange…
    emoose likes this.
  11. outdoorgb

outdoorgb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would jump on that RFN...
    randypower likes this.
  12. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    The throttle grip too?
  13. Adamèl

Adamèl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have no electricity in my parking spot (apartment building).

I had to cut the left grip. It was full of glue.
  14. Ed@Ford

[email protected] Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me the left grip is easiest to get off. Carefully slide about 25mm of a slim phillips head screwdriver between the grip and the handle bar. Then take an aerosol can of brake cleaner with it's thin spray tube in place and squirt a little bit of brake cleaner up in there. Wear safety glasses as the spray is nasty....never get it in your eyes. Let it sit a while then twist the grip to see if the glue has weakened,,,do this a couple extra spots...Grip will eventually let go and come off. The throttle sleeve has lots of ridges on it, and no glue and doesn't come off...in my experience, and slitting the grip works. Since I glue heated grips on (Oxford) next all those ridges must be cut, sanded, or carved off. I've never tried the compressed air trick on the throttle grip.
  15. schmack b

schmack b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. That is how i got both mine off. It is also the way i put my new grips on the bike. One of the older mechanics at my work showed me how to do it, said it was the only way he ever did it. Worked pretty good but the throttle side was a lot more of a pain. There was very minimal glue if any on my bike from the factory.
  16. RVDan

RVDan Long timer

Oddometer:
    did it fit a lot better?
  17. Nyufuka

Nyufuka Adventurer

Oddometer:

It does sit a bit nicer. :)

What bothers me are those thin bolts (M6) which I used to install handguards. I don’t think they are strong enough. Especially on the right side where I couldn’t use anything longer than 3cm (1.18 inch). There just isn’t more thread in the original bar weight or whatever that is stuck in the handlebar. I guess I’ll have to find somebody to drill a bigger hole and make a longer thread to fit longer M8 bolts. Either that or drill it completely to make room for the original hadguard bolts.
    This is just too small and too weak.
    [​IMG]
  18. Myrks

Myrks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just drill a complete hole and cut a new M8 thread.
    Nyufuka likes this.
  19. randypower

randypower Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a good source for switched power under the seat?

I have the OP (Options Plug?) connector that can attach behind the front left fairing but there was too much going on there. My cluster of wires, connectors, relays, fuse box was kinda ridiculous, so now I'm cleaning up my installation and moving the bulk to be under the seat.

There is a 4-pin white/yellow plug on the side above the toolbox (wire colors: blue/black, green, red, black/yellow) and a 3-pin clear connector under the seat and still taped up as stock in my photo (wire colors: orange, light blue, orange/light-blue).

Info, ideas, and suggestions, please?

And if anyone has added a fuse block and/or wiring for multiple accessories, I'd love to hear about it and see your pictures.
    IMG_20211023_180715.jpg IMG_20211023_180723.jpg IMG_20211023_180732.jpg IMG_20211023_180738.jpg
    JackBurns40 likes this.
  20. Dmorcos

Dmorcos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also had this happen to me trying to take out as much free play as I could. Full turn to the right and the throttle will open but not return. Loosened the cable until the issue was solved.

Then again, I tried the cyrca hand guards and could not make them clear the throttle cable, the same thing would happen as above. I abandoned installing them and went with the Zeta pro bend and do not have that problem.
    Nyufuka likes this.