CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Cars don't use oiled foam....
    Paper filters for the masses...
    People who won't clean filters just throw em away.

Comparing apples with oranges...
    Dual sports see way more dirt than cars and cars have the luxury of massive air cleaners...bikes don't.

Maybe go tell KTM or Rottweiler to pull their head out and run paper air cleaners.

Oiled foam is better off road @ the expense of a little more maintenance
    Fast1 likes this.
  2. Myrks

Myrks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems like you haven't read the test. It's for a Landcruiser and they tested several paper, uni filter, k&n etc.
    KTM is usually looking for performance and not just filter efficiency
  3. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Doesn't look like they did a real world test....
    Like off road....
    Introducing dust on the bench is lame...
    The tester states there was a reason most off roaders go with oiled foam.

Outside of a bit more maintenance oiled foam is the way to go off road for me.
    In the field clean and go with foam...not so with paper..

But hey if you don't wanna do the maintenance then go paper...just keep a spare air filter around.
  4. SLMcgee

SLMcgee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah no worries, just frustrated I have to buy a manual for something like servicing forks. I guess that isn't a DIY thing for them to include in the owners manual. If I'm tearing open a motor I expect to need an additional manual. I have YSS suspension on the way and don't want to wait for a service manual to show up. Thanks.
    emoose likes this.
  5. Myrks

Myrks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, it's a laboratory filter test, but that's the only way to test pure filter efficiency.

Of course it makes more sense to use a washable filter, as soon as you ride in dust all the time, since you don't want to replace your air filter after every ride.
    Best filter efficiency is still with a paper filter. You probably would also choose another bike for 100% off-road, wouldn't you?
  6. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool - that's really good to know about the CB300R compatibility. I'll search for those parts if I have trouble finding some specifically for the 300L.
    Hoping Helm gets the manuals available again soon (and good to also know it's the same manual for 300L and Rally) - they've got an email notification option so will be waiting for that.
    emoose likes this.
  7. Drtgrl

Drtgrl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys just reminded me that I made an order for a manual 20 days ago. Just checked on the status and it shows unable to fulfill. When I placed it, it showed in stock. Hopefully nothing pops up before the restock that I need it for. Bummer. On a positive I put some ASV levers on yesterday and love the adjustability D2DDD0C3-21EF-4D0D-A669-94BD0BC53A5C.jpeg
    adger, Snarfblatt, emoose and 2 others like this.
  8. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be cool if you were able to post the oil change info. I'm due for the first 600mi change shortly and it would be a real drag to screw something up or miss a key step. Still baffled it's not in the "Manual". The purchase manual on my KTM EXC and even my old XT225 had torque specs for most bolts on the bike, and both walked you through all basic service routines.
  9. Diskodik

Diskodik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have link to these ASV levers? Which model fits the crf300?
  10. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take a look up several posts.
    miks likes this.
  11. Drtgrl

Drtgrl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    These are the ones I got F4 Series Quad Clutch and Brake Lever Pair Pack # BCF4A206SX.
    This is the application chart
    https://asvinventions.com/off-road-applications-honda/
    On my phone I have to click on “print/download pdf” in order to see the whole chart
  12. paprides

paprides Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    :jack
    The air filter convo is the new "which oil is best," thread.
  13. Diskodik

Diskodik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Drtgrl likes this.
  14. Wandering_larry

Wandering_larry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    move created a monster
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    more surface area for the air to move thru

These are what some of the new designs offering more surface area look like..

upload_2021-7-21_16-52-3.png

Most of the "ready to race" enduro motos with plates have foam filters and when properly oiled with (ex. Twin Air air filter oil) and sealing surfaces greased they minimize all dust penetration. The quality foam filter oil repels water from intrusion. My 500 has 300 + hrs and 10,000 miles of use and runs perfectly without any type of rebuild even considered. Maybe around 600 hours of use. Valve lash has never required an adjustment.

Some use filter skins over the foam filter as an extra layer that can be removed during use as a way to improve the longevity of the foam filter before requiring a cleaning when riding in groups in extremely dusty areas or getting caught behind trucks and SxSs in dusty environments.

Most street motorcycles use paper filters.. however those can have problems when used off-road. They can get wet during heavy downpours, when washing the bike or doing water crossings. Once wet, they collapse or fall apart and the engine acquires a good dose of un-filtered dusty air, typically with the owner not knowing until they go to remove the filter or check it. Paper filters can also restrict air flow dependent on the moto and will sacrifice air movement when full of dust. You could carry a spare for week long rides as a replacement.

I suspect foam filters, like the one pictured above, will hit the market soon for the Honda 300.

paper filter ability depends on micron screening of the paper element, not all are equal

and I would choose a different street moto for 100% street use, wouldn't you?

paprides likes this.
  16. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I've found sharing details from a owners manual that actual includes details owners should have without having to purchase the shop manual to those that might require it to be extremely easy by just taking a photo of the page/details and posting it with a reply in the thread.

No need to spend time typing it all out.

example of torque values I posted from the owners manual in another thread for a different moto

upload_2021-7-21_17-23-13.jpeg
    paprides likes this.
  17. Drtgrl

Drtgrl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One thing to note is the clutch side gets rid of the mirror mount and clutch switch. I would not recommend this clutch lever but the brake is nice.Not sure if their other models have it or not
    adger likes this.
  18. HardcoreMallCrawler

HardcoreMallCrawler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone else have issues with the 12V socket accessory port? I plugged my usb charger into the 12v accessory port on the left hand side of the headlight and nothing is happening. Doesnt matter if the bike is running or not, no current. Only thing I had plugged in was my phone, so I would be very surprised if I blew a fuse.
  19. Firecatdude

Firecatdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can download a PDF version free of the 250L manual. It might not be exact with every detail but it sure helps with the basics.
    miks likes this.
  20. Firecatdude

Firecatdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And yes Helm should sell a PDF version of the manual. So much easier. My atv, kids atv, snowmobile, car, heck even my chainsaw has a PDF versions of the service manual.