CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. Snarfblatt

Snarfblatt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the F2 levers… 3 weeks ago. Still waiting for delivery…

But very much looking forward to some adjustability!
  2. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, but the problem with a PDF manual is there are too many people all too willing to post/share such things.

I think it falls under the heading of: This is why we can’t have nice things.
    paprides, randypower and webbiker like this.
  3. Downdabayou

Downdabayou n00b

Oddometer:
    Received the yss shock and fork spring today. Only problem is the fork spring box contained only one spring with nary an instruction. Yss's website is of no help. I'm not sure if the spring is supposed to be a replacement for the stock spring in the right fork or just added to the left fork that has no spring. Not sure how much fork oil should be used or the proper weight of the oil. I bought 10 weight as a start but I may just have to change out the shock until someone else guinea pigs the fork installation.
    mikeysduck likes this.
  4. webbiker

webbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the 300 L have an AUX socket somewhere? I remember my 250 Rally had one under the left side fairing, but as I recall the 250 L did not.
  5. miks

miks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea and have just done so. Thanks.
  6. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    I have found YSS to be helpful when contacted. Just drop them an email and they should point You in the right direction ? I think also that some inmates on here have already done the fork mod. I suspect the spring You got is a replacement for the stock item.
  7. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The YSS spring is a replacement spring. I have been going back and forth with Emmet at biker bits about this. I tried to change the spring on my L but it is about 50mm longer than stock. I asked if there was a spacer to remove in the bottom and after going back and forth he finally said there was a spacer that I need to take out. He said this wasn’t the case with the rally. I was trying to keep it simple and not remove the oil. It was pretty simple to take apart the first time. Even the dreaded clip came right out for me. I ended up putting it back together stock so I could ride until I got answers. I got 5and 15 weight oil and will try getting the right mix. I will probably try later today to change it again. If that spacer is in fact at the bottom it should be pretty easy. Someone posted the proper oil level/ amount a few days ago for me on this thread.
    I searched everywhere for instructions or a video for YSS and found only one video of a setup that is completely different.
    Downdabayou and mcmann like this.
  8. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right side near the headlight.
    webbiker likes this.
  9. Mikec012003

Mikec012003 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. sedwards

sedwards I don't post much!

Oddometer:
    I don't have a 300 and don't have any specific knowledge regarding this bike's torque values. I'd check this value before tightening a fork pinch bolt to 24 ft. lbs. though. Every bike I've owned has been in the 15-17lb/ft range. 24 just sounds high. But I could very well be wrong!
    Fast1 likes this.
  11. emoose

Oddometer:
    I just checked service manual, and the fork pinch bolts should be 21 ft. lbs. (29 NM). [mention]Griff2 [/mention] is correct.
    TheAtom26 likes this.
  12. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m impressed. You might be the only guy with a manual and no bike. Most of the rest of us have a bike and no manual. I wish I had thought of it while I waited 5 months for my bike.
  13. emoose

Oddometer:
    Don’t rub it in. :baldy
    UncaBuddha, TheAtom26, Vark and 2 others like this.
  14. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The value I quoted from the 300L torque specs advised to me by the dealer was 21 Ft/Lb not 24. Just check out my comment again. 24 was quoted on the CRF250L workshop manual which was uploaded on ADV rider for the 2013 model CRF. On such items I rarely rely on a torque wrench and prefer to tighten by hand. I stopped overtightening bolts many years ago. :-)
    TheAtom26 likes this.
  15. sedwards

sedwards I don't post much!

Oddometer:
    Cool. thanks for checking. I know that's an important torque spec to get correct.
  16. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a great street ride yesterday…fine-tuning ergos. The IMS pegs and the Renthal 609 bar did the the trick. Along with restoring ride height to quicken up the steering (YSS shock) and keeping the tires aired up no higher than 22f/23r psi, these changes make the bike very comfortable whether seated or standing. The photo below is of my bike in front of one of the nicer horse farms over in Washington Parish…

D0F7796C-CE07-4DEA-8406-0D76AF8E2432.jpeg

It has been raining a great deal around here and all the rivers are over their banks. We finally had a sunny day, so I thought I’d check out the area. Most fields are still covered with puddles and are saturated, but everything seems to be receding a bit.

C3245D29-C662-4B24-8577-FAD697F141D9.jpeg

The 3/4” thick HDPE foot that I installed under my kickstand has really made the bike easier to mount and dismount. It is one of those rare “just right” mods. Highly recommended…particularly if you install an aftermarket shock.
    augerdin, Griff2, TheAtom26 and 5 others like this.
  17. jroberts427

jroberts427 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really diggin that rear rack and bag combo.
    Snarfblatt and Blackshirt like this.
  18. Downdabayou

Downdabayou n00b

Oddometer:
    Blackshirt I'm in St. Tammany parish so not far from where you're at. I see you changed out to the yss shock, did you change the front spring as well? I just changed to the yss shock and the bike sits much higher. I would keep the stock shock if you are sensitive to a high seat height because I am 5'10" and tiptoeing the bike now. Doesn't bother me but will probably bother some. The new shock is much stiffer and the bike no longer feels like a trampoline.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  19. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    jroberts427 likes this.
  20. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of my motorcycle projects are on a one month hold due to an upcoming family commitment. I got the shock on, but the fork spring remains in it’s box. As stock, my bike had 2” of static sag. Most of that was eliminated when I set the overall sag to my weight. I’m hoping the YSS spring eliminates the excessive dive when hard braking. However, apart from that the front end is okay. I easily get the balls of both feet down at 5’11,” but only one heel at a time!