CRF300L/Rally Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mcmann, May 1, 2021.

1. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. WilVis

WilVis Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I regret not purchasing the SRC rack a couple weeks ago when in stock. At the time I didn’t have the bike. Low and behold my Rally showed up Monday.

Of course with my luck, if I would have bought the rack, I’d be waiting until mid-2022 for the bike.
  3. Alfred_Bham

Alfred_Bham Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have my manual and no bike yet!!

So there is two of us!!
  4. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can someone please tell me the size of the stator/coil/alternator on this bike?

Also, will someone please tell me if this bike can run a complete heat system? I'm thinking of warmnsafe's heated socks, liner pants, shirt, and gloves. Don't want to drop all that cash only to find the bike can't power it.

Thanks yo.
  5. vt700guy

vt700guy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a post somewhere discussing all the aftermarket suspension options for the 300?
  6. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but they are spread all through this thread.
  7. Chuch

Chuch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pp.jpg o.jpg ww.jpg zz.jpg Because pictures are good for this thread...some recent adventures.
    Yeti2ride, Nyufuka, SkipperC and 14 others like this.
  8. paprides

paprides Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    yes, there’s a very succinct treatise on you tube. search “Peak Motorcycle suspension,” Andre does a great synopsis.
    vt700guy and Chuch like this.
  9. Griff2

Griff2 Griff

Oddometer:
    The 2017 Rally put out 324Watts at 5000rpm. Assuming that Honda increased that a little for the 300 I would suggest that there is no way its alternator could handle the list of items that You are suggesting. One 250 owner was told by the shop that his bike would handle heated gloves or a jacket, but not both. So with that list I suggest that You keep looking :-)
    xNateX, emoose, Blackshirt and 2 others like this.
  10. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Long timer

Oddometer:
    My old Guzzi’s put out about the same wattage. It was so low that I had to change my spotlight bulbs from 55w to 35w to prevent battery discharge. I wouldn’t use more than one heated device with the 300’s alternator output. Honda offers heated grips on their accessory website.

http://shop.powersports.honda.com/p...street_adventure_crf300l-rally-abs_2021?pp=24
    xNateX likes this.
  11. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe a little ductwork from the exhaust pipe and you can put all the excess heat to good use.:D
    Vark and TheAtom26 like this.
  12. T-Ross

T-Ross Adventurer

Oddometer:
    EBAY seller has these nice plastic frame guards but they are a little pricey. Another seller has them for $85 but delivery is Oct.-Nov.

Attached Files:

IJustWantMyZBack likes this.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my experience electric gloves and jacket liner have been fine for cold weather. Good socks, boots and long johns have done the rest. At 13volts that is maybe 130 watts. I have never used my gear at full power so maybe 60% - 80 watts. If you wanted to be safe, you could swap the headlight for an LED and gain about an extra 30 watts on low beam. Better yet give warm and safe a shout and see what they say.
    xNateX likes this.
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    The answer, as usual, is - it depends. I assume you are planning on using a Heat-Troller, so the draw of all those accessories is not constantly full rated output. A W&S jacket is 106W, pants are 48W, gloves are 36W and socks are 18W - or 208W total. Other than some full touring bikes with very large electrical outputs, very few bikes will power all that electric gear at full load.

I haven't seen anything official from Honda, but the ~330W output @Griff2 mentions are about what you could expect on the 300 too. Keep in mind that the Rally has an LED headlight, probably saving 30W over an L. The rest of the bulbs are 5W each, and you only have the tail and position lights running regularly, so that's 15W + 15-25W for the headlight, worst case you have a 40W draw for lights. Add 50W for fan, 20W for ECU, 60W for fuel pump and another 50W for ignition (I am being conservative with these numbers, this is closer to what a multi-cylinder bike would draw) and you have an estimated total base load of ~220W, so that means you have close to 100W to work with.

What type of riding will you be doing when you plan to run all that heated gear? If you are off-road, at lower engine speeds, the stator doesn't even put out that much. The quoted output is typically at 5K RPM and it drops significantly at idle and close to it.

As I mentioned, none of my adv-touring bikes can handle that gear at full load. I estimate that I have 100-140W of spare capacity when the brakes and high beams are not on (older bikes, no LEDs). NSTIW, riding two-up in northern Mexico in winter, on a very brisk winter day (~4 deg C). I forgot to remind my wife to drop the output on her jacket (I had a jacket and gloves on) when we got into town. When we finished getting gas, the battery on our V-Strom 1000 was dead. One heated jacket running close to max, one jacket (both jackets were the older, 90W types) and gloves set at about 40% and the DL1K couldn't keep the battery charged while putting around town looking for that gas station. :doh

Gustavo
    Don T, Vark, xNateX and 1 other person like this.
  15. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Per the service manual:
    340 Watts @ 5,000 RPM
    WilVis, xNateX, Gustavo and 2 others like this.
  16. paprides

paprides Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Under the radar...Lower left British Columbia
    Question: I've had Scott and Tutoro chain oiler's. Anyone considering one for the Rally or L?
    (i've queried Tutoro, asking if the extreme lean angle of a parked CRF300 would affect it's operation when stopped/parked. I'll inform this group of their reply.)
    cpc likes this.
  17. emoose

emoose I have no idea what I'm doing. Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI: AXP Racing just opened up preorders on their plastic skid plate (and rack and chain guide). They expect the first run to be delivered in August.
  18. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I decided to try +5% taller gearing via a 38T rear sprocket. I like it:-)

I can still walk-speed between the hardwoods. It has impressive low RPM. It seems to be getting more lugging ability with miles. 60 mph is 300 less RPM (6000 RPM > 5700)

I tested stopping/starting on an incline . . . no trouble at all with the stock rear tire. We have had several inches of rain lately in GA . . . I did spin the back tire up the hill. A more aggressive tire and dryer conditions my be a different story. The stock 1st gear seemed a bit low to me . . . now it feels better.

JTR210.38 fits perfectly. Drilled for 8mm bolts (CRF250L = 10 mm bolts).
    It is the same weight (1.2 lbs) as the stock steel sprocket.

I was under the assumption (via Honda-Pro Kevin) they went to aluminum rear sprocket to save weight . . . Nope . . . it is steel.
    There is still enough adjustment in the OEM chain.
    56886162-47B0-4429-A687-BB8D47270ABF.jpeg
    E25F9B1A-6974-4B2D-A43E-8898D70270B6.jpeg
    Blackshirt, augerdin, Fast1 and 2 others like this.
  19. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    With regard to the discussions a few pages back about excessive heat from the radiator and exhaust, I expect it has something to do with the fact that Honda needed to make these bikes compliant with the Euro 5 emissions specification.

Lowering emissions comes at a cost, Always a trade off: the catalytic converter needs lots of heat to burn up the exhaust particles, and the fuelling has been set to run very lean: less fuel consumption means fewer exhaust emissions to burn up, but it results in a situation that generates heat like a thermo-nuclear reactor.

I hope to surgically remove the catalytic converter from the OEM muffler, or, failing that I will order that Moto-X exhaust system.
  20. xNateX

xNateX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    >What type of riding will you be doing when you plan to run all that heated gear?

I'm just investigating the options. Ideally, any of the BDRs that aren't snow-bound should be fair game year round if it's possible to stay warm. Therefore the questions.

Is it possible to have the stator upgraded?