1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CRF450R / CR500 Supermoto Project

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by J Banning, Dec 17, 2013.

1. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Banning, you could always drop in in a KTM roller. Easy carb access (you can pull the slide without rotating the carb) and change all jets with a factory 2.5g tank installed. Up to 3.2 gallon tank without interference.

Still sucks as a commuter though.
  2. tacky1

tacky1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hats off to you, this is a great build, I am in the middle of something similar, What jetting and needle did you end up using.
    Im at a loss for jetting on my 41mm PWK, I'm running a CPI pipe.. Any help would be great, :)
  3. J Banning

J Banning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I've been a KTM guy for a while now (525SMR, 625SMC, 250XWC, 300XCW) and if I were to do the project again I'd give it very serious consideration. Also, with the steel KTM frame I would have been able to do 100% of the welding with my Lincoln Mig.
  4. J Banning

J Banning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you Tacky.

Regarding jetting, what I have isn't perfect but it works and is safe. I feel it might be a bit rich on top and it "blubbers" at part throttle in turns. Not sure yet if I can tune that part throttle issue out by changing the slide, or just the needle diameter or taper, but plan to work on that in the Spring. Might try finding a competent 2-stroke dyno tuner too.

Street: (something like Tail of the Dragon)
    - 48 pilot
    - 190 main
    - DEJ needle, clip in #2 or #3 spot with temps between 75-85*.

Track: (road race track, 90+ mph)
    - 50 pilot
    - 190 main
    - DEG needle, clip in #2 or #3 spot with temps between 75-85*
  5. tacky1

tacky1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million for this, I was really stuck with which needle and piliot etc to go with, Glad I found this thread, My PWK has a 175, 45 and a CEL needle, I'm still at the build stage, Just finished welding the frame, Motor is still in boxes,
    I can throw a Pic on here if that's ok with you, Dont want to thread crap on ya :)