CRF500L build #3 - The Brit remix

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Scutty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ this

+1
  2. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Well... it's still a mystery what you have nuts couple of things I would check.
    1. Your meter. Use a different one and see if you get a different reading. Even good Fluke meters read weird sometimes, especially if the batteries are low and sometime with certain batteries.
    2. Try a different lead acid battery. Some lithium batteries have internal shunts to avoid overcharging that can act up and really screw with things. Ask me how I know...
    3. Try a different regulator.
    4. Check your wiring again... and again. Soz.
  3. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bike's a total loss. Only one thing for it, give it to me, and build another one :-)
    larryboy likes this.
  4. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course, you're right. Why didn't I think of that - can you pick it up this weekend?
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  5. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll give that a go, I think I have a standard (non mosfet) regulator knocking around and I still have the old crf battery.

I am running a mosfet Reg and a LiPo battery - time to try the old skool parts
  6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    well no wonder why your bike is not working.

u are using a Lipo batt!!!! im surprised you havent caught fire yet. LiPo batts and li-ion batt have different working voltages. not to mention they charge complete differently. if you try and charge a lipo with a 12v charging output the battery will heat up and boom, ive tried.
  7. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Its a Lithium Ion battery for the CRF, a Yuasa YTZ7S. I am not sure where the catch fire idea comes from, I have used these batteries very successfully before.

But, to erase that from the equation, I have gone back to the standard PB battery for testing.

I still have the same problem.

When I measure the battery at idle it is showing 12.8v approx, when I raise the revs to 4000rpm, the voltage at the battery drops to 12.5v. Surely that should be up around the 14v mark?!?

Very annoying

I thought I had a spare RR but I don;t so I have ordered a standard OEM one for testing.
  8. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Tried using a different meter? Just to check that yours is working correctly and is within calibration.
    I have a number of fluke meters and they can and have sent me a few wild goose chases.
  9. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could it be a missing ground? Or maybe one (or more) that's not connected well?
  10. Scutty

Oddometer:
    I have 2 different meters, both read the same so I am guessing they are right.
  11. Scutty

Oddometer:
    I tested from the RR ground and its got a good connection
  12. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might not be just that one??? Could be other grounds involved as well. I wonder if it would read OK under no load, but not be good under load? My other thought is maybe a (ground) wire didn't get attached from somewhere in the CB harness? Sometimes it's the little things. I'll try to remember to look at the wiring diagram tonight for the CB and see if anything jumps out.
  13. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Thanks! All the help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:

o, so you are using a Li-Ion batt.

u wrote Lipo, so guess that was a typo.
  15. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    This is the ground you checked, right? Got all the paint cleaned off under it?
    IMG_9666.JPG
    xajb likes this.
  16. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like the ground wire goes directly to ground, so not sure there's much to find there edit: (other than what Levi beat me to). The red wire goes to the starter solenoid, so maybe there is an open circuit inside there? May be why the engine dies? Can you run a jumper from the red regulator wire directly to the battery? Here is a good flowchart for finding faults of this type: http://www.electrosport.com/media/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf They recommend following it precisely as skipping any step will cause you to run around in circles.
  17. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    I've been running a Shorai LiFePO4 on my SV1000 with everything else on the charging system stock for 3+ years no problems....
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    "LiFe-PO" is not the same as "LiPo". LiFe-PO batts and li-ion batts can be bought and made for a conventional 12v charging system, there are many example of both types online. however LiPo batts ( RC places, helis, RC cars , etc, etc) cannot be used on a conventional 12v charging system unless using a DC/DC inverter, which no one does.

LiFe-Po =//= LiPo. different working voltages, different charge potentials, different chemistry.
    outbacktm likes this.
  19. totensiebush

totensiebush re-tarded

Oddometer:
    I would be very surprised if he was running a LiPo battery of the type you describe.

I've also run a pack made of 18650s with a box stock charging system and no problems (but I suspect the 18650 isn't the type of LiPo you describe).
  20. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    he made a typo, he wrote Lipo instead of li-ion. i figured he made a typo but wasnt sure until after he confirmed. cuz yeah lipo most certainly would not work.

and yes 18650 cells ( primarily li-ion) can be used for 12v charging systems, im pretty sure my "featherweight lithium battery" i have in my crf500L has them.