CRF500L build #3 - The Brit remix

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Scutty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    bike anthology needs an update....:D
  2. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ask and yea shall receive!

I got out for only about 10 miles on the CRF yesterday to test the new ECU and I can already feel a difference. It will take about 200-300 miles to be fully working so more riding needed!
    Roofchop and JagLite like this.
  3. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can you point me toward the place where you got that ECU and the specs, please and thanks?
  4. Scutty

Oddometer:
    ben2go likes this.
  5. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Will check'er out now.
  6. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All about the twin cylinder on the highway. Plus they have some hop up stuff for the 500's, you could get a reliable 50 whp lightly modified and have a lot longer service intervals (not saying the 450L has to be serviced like Honda says, but street bike engine vs. toned down race bike engine)
  7. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't put much into that "hop up" stuff for the 500 line up. To much $ for very little HP and torque. Just to install high comp pistons the engine has to come apart and the cases split. Not much to be gained down low from my understanding.
    @Oyabun has done the homework on this subject.
  8. Scutty

Oddometer:
    I don't need more power from the 500, it does exactly what I want a dual sport engine to do. On the road its good/fun enough to deliver long days of riding and has service intervals to match. On the dirt, its lineal, luggable, reliable and efficient - an ideal trail bike engine.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  9. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Ben, check the Dobeck AFR plus also. A bit less sophisticated programming interface, but also very easy to operate. While the dimsport evo uses the stock narrow band sensor and interpolates it's signal (which is less accurate) the afrplus uses a proper wideband sensor and alters it's signal to feed it back to the oem ecu.
    Neither of the above able to adjust ignition - that's available in the PCV, and the ECU flashes.
    ben2go likes this.
  10. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. That rabbit hole. Well, depends on what are you after - but yes, I've done my homework on that.
    I've done a few bikes by now, and one can end up close to 60hp without sacrificing any of the strengths of the original bike. That's not too shabby.
    A good greasy torque from an efficient high CR engine is really nice, but over a certain compression you're not in regular pump gas zone anymore.

Stock cams have practically zero overlap. That's why the oem engine has relatively low static CR of 10.7, as dynamic CR is pretty much the same due to no overlap. It is great for emissions, as PAIR can control egr content, but crap for performance impeding high rpm power.

Raising compression via piston change is viable, but as Ben mentions this engine needs a complete disassembly to get there. Wiseco has a great set of 12.1 pistons for the stock engine. The wiseco and the 600rr pistons are even lighter than the cb500y ones.
    One can also bump up the puny 10.7 CR to about 11.2 by milling the head, but Cam timing gets a bit off after that which needs attention. I do .3mms which is about 11.1-11.2 depending on how much I work on polishing the combustion chamber. (Pssst. The Asia spec 400x has 11.2 CR and delivers 47hp from a 399cc engine.)

I do love my cb, fiddling with it is not due to lack of power, it's rather the fact I love to play around with tech.
    redneckK20 and ben2go like this.
  11. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Don't go all 'Hipster' on us and start waxing your moustache old bean..!!! Have to say it is a thing of beauty and a perfect compliment to the Unicorn....
    Scutty likes this.
  12. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    @ben2go
    Look at this CBR 500 racing engine. This engine still using the oem pistons as race organisation does not allow change of major components, both the head and cyl block is milled to give the compression increase. It has got a good head porting, and a full exhaust, but still on stock airbox, velocity stacks and an MWR filter. This engine is still cam limited, as it runs the stock timing and profile - thus the drop down on torque after 6.500, but boy that torque curve is just lovely. Giving it a bit more breath with even a modest cam, makes wonders with this engine. Even if many new bikes come out stock on over 13+ CR, I would not run this high compression on the street, but bumping CR with the proper mods really makes it a screamer. The bike runs a Bazzaz ecu, so ignition has not even been touched yet.
    p.s. forget about the absolute numbers, the dyno is at one mile elevation in Denver, look at the relative change. And this is only the break-in performance on the dyno.
    CBR500_CR13.6.jpg
    ben2go likes this.
  13. redneckK20

redneckK20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This motor in a 325 lb street legal dirt bike would be a riot. Throw some more aggressive cams in it and you're at Ninja 650 power with a 500.
  14. Bt10

Bt10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has me interested again after the weight/wait for the T7 and unicorn versys x400. Do you have any more good stock block and assy mods at cb500.com or anywhere? I hear someone is getting around to forward rearsets soon.

Thanks
  15. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Exactly what I'm working on. ;-)

Edit: had to check the specs for the 650 ninja engine. Unlikely that I can make 68hp from this 471cc mill, as it has about 40 less capacity, but I'm sure a roughly 60hp+ engine is absolutely realistic.

Wish I could get a CRF500L registered as road legal where I live. I'm stuck to an obese cb500x chassis (at 400lbs after a bit of weight loss campaign) with an updated suspension and 19/17 wheels at the moment.
    redneckK20 likes this.
  16. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Very few had done such things. There's an other friend of mine with srock head, but cammed and having intake and exhaust mods ro support it - he's dynoed his bike at 57.6 hp.
    I've built a 56 hp engine so far for a friend, and currently working on a ported and decked head, modified cams, ECU flash combo which with some intake mods and a good exhaust could net around 58-60hp even on the stock bottom end. A milled head or better yet, a set of lightweight forged Wiseco pistons could add even a bit power but as Ben mentioned it needs removing the engine, separating engine halves, and potentially rebalancing the camshaft - so I'm currently staying with the stock bottom endbf
  17. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Ok, more work is afoot!

I have managed to get the Rally shock to work in my bike - you need to replace the linkage and rod with parts from a Rally:
    rally_suspension.png
    I bought from BikerzBits as they are hugely cheaper than UK Honda parts even is you include the shipping from Thailand and the import taxes!

The reason for doing this? I want to get the extra height on the rear to match the CRF450R front end I am fitting. New bearing and races allow the triple trees to mount with just a 6mm spacer needed.

I do need to fit some steering stops some how but, so far, it's looking good.

More photos to follow!
    minkyhead and zimtim like this.
  18. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Easy fix on this and I've done this many times is fit a short stub of Samco hose the same diameter as the fork tops and position where it bumps the frame, you loose several mm's because of the hose wall thickness but it definitely does the job and doesn't look horrendous !!! Keep us updated on that fuelling module upgrade Scutty ok..???
  19. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the fuelling module seems to be working really well, the bike has really come to life. My mate, who hasn't ridden my bike for over a year, rode it last Saturday and he said it was miles better now, more power across the board and a lot more fun in the dirt.

I am not sure how to tell what the module has done, I think I should be able to wire it up to the PC somehow, more investigation needed.
  20. Scutty

Oddometer:
    One thing I do need to do now is sell my RaceTech forks and Ohlins shock. I'm not sure I will go with Ohlins again as their Rally shock (which is essentially the same unit as the L) costs £200 more than the L one I have. I think I'll get a HyperPro or YSS one built.