CRF500L build #3 - The Brit remix

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Scutty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul - where would we be without the internet to correct us!

My newest hatred is saying 'pacific' when you mean 'specific'!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
  2. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still want to know what a "fanny pack" means to a brit. (or can we not explain it on this family oriented forum?)

Don
  3. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Ohlins has more adjustment. I have the racetech and it's real good but I wish the compression was adjustable. It's not a problem 99% of the time as it's damn near spot on but I get a little fade when I'm really hammering it.
  4. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Levi - if the Ohlins was cheaper for you would you buy it over the RaceTech? For me, with import duty and shipping, the RaceTech is about £250 more than the Ohlins (I think I am already taking myself into the Ohlins shock).
  5. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Ohlins. No question about it.
    pennswoodsed and 4play like this.
  6. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    "I still want to know what a "fanny pack" means to a brit."

A ladies front bottom.....:smile6
    Montana Maniac likes this.
  7. tinwelp

tinwelp Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    ... which is simultaneously entertaining more than one gentleman.

Cheers... Paul
  8. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I still want to know what a "fanny pack" means to a brit."

"A ladies front bottom.....:smile6"

"... which is simultaneously entertaining more than one gentleman."

I always knew ADVRider was an educational instutition !!!!!

Don
  9. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Ok, back on track.

I got the keyless ignition to work and, as it turned out, it was really simple to install. As long as you have the fob in your pocket you can power the ignition on with the red button (this will be moved to the HDB headstock when it arrives)

20170414_154215_HDR.jpg

The unit is very small but incredibly LOUD!!! It has a impact sensor so, if you hit the bike or lift it off the stand or engage the ignition without the fob, prepare to be deafened!

20170414_154200.jpg

I tried to find a folding tip gear shifter for the CB500X without luck so I built my own from a £6.50 pit bike lever and it works a treat :)

20170414_154148_HDR.jpg

As you can see from that photo, I have installed One Industries footpegs and, although they could be longer, they are really comfortable under foot

20170414_154136.jpg

The bike is booked in on the 8th to get the exhaust finished finally, the fitting guy took a look at it and thinks its a pretty straight forward job (but it'll still cost plenty I bet!)
    Te Hopo and rrrnnn like this.
  10. Scutty

Oddometer:
    I am getting orders sorted with highway Dirtbikes for the rallye fairing, BD lights are on the way along with an SC High seat and an upgraded 320mm front brake rotor. I have also found a UK supplier for RaceTech so I hope to get the front forks sorted and not crush the bike every time I get my lardy arse on it.

And the rear shock? Well that's looking likely to be Ohlins, I just can't resist!
    zimtim and Samtech79 like this.
  11. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    dude. looking good! cleanest CRF500L ive seen to date. cant belive you got a crf250l so mint/cheap.

so what is this CRF500L serial number-03 ?????? haha

we should make a crf500L thread!!!
    rrrnnn and Scutty like this.
  12. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    the crf250l radiator is enough cooling for the cb500 engine. however the fan does come on alot when your below 20km/hr or hard core off-road.

i only ever had one issue with my crf250l radiator. coming home on a freshly paved black road in stop and go traffic ( average speed >10km/hr) with outside temps reaching 30C on my dash gauge the radiator temp started to climb even with the fan on. bike would start to boil over after about 20 mins of this. so i had to pull over and wait for 5 mins, go back out for 10mins, wait for 5 mins, repeat , repeat. once traffic started moving about 20km/hr the temps started to fall.

so looks like the limit is 30C because i got stuck on that same road the next week with identical conditions but the outside temp was only 24C and the radiator did not boil over.

just food for thought.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  13. Scutty

Oddometer:
    CRF500L #0003 - works for me!

Do we need more than 3 to make a specific thread? Clearly not: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-crf500l-owners.1219100/
  14. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity why is did you guys choose the CB500L over the CB500X engine ?
  15. ben2go

ben2go I am Ben! Hear me snore!

Oddometer:
    From my understanding, all of the CB500 X,R,F,Rebel engines are the same. The electronic tuning maybe different tho. I'm not sure.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    As Ben says, the engine is from a CB500X, F or R model - there is no 500L - the 'CRF500L' name is based on the fact these bikes are built around a CRF250L, but with a 500 engine...

Jx
  17. Scutty

Oddometer:
    As Jenny said, we all used CB500X/F/R engines. Mine was from an X model (the colour gives them away)

Apologies for thenlack of updates on this build but i finally moved house yesterday. I now have a way bigger garage and, when get all the boxes cleared its full speed ahead with the build.

Thanks for sticking around
    larryboy likes this.
  18. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Have you at enjoyed at least one shred session yet on your new beasty?
  19. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    :doh must have been caught up in the excitement so it doesnt matter either of the X or F variant will work from what I have read so far it don't seem to be any difference in the engine mapping
  20. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    That's right, all the CB500 X/F/R engines have the same power/torque/gearing output - the only version that is different is the engine in the new CMX 500 'Rebel' which has a slightly different tune: a couple of hp less, but correspondingly a little more torque. No major changes though.

Whichever version you get, this 471cc twin is an absolute peach, with more than enough power and torque (and a really linear and flexible delivery) for real-world dual-sport and ADV riding.

Personally speaking, I think this engine in the XR650R chassis would be the golden goose - but what Michael, Samtech and now Scutty have done with the CRF250L chassis is awesome, and this example particularly continues to refine the development.

Jx