CRF500L build #3 - The Brit remix

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Scutty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    All the same.
  2. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Levi

I have done a tank full on the bike but with very limited off road running because the standard sump is still fitted and it is very low; with no protection. The bike goes in next Monday to get the exhaust done then I can finally fab up the new sump and bash plate.

The Ohlins shock is here and the RaceTech forks internals are on the way from the USA, just waiting on Paul at HDB to ship the fairing (come on Paul!!). It should be full speed ahead next week.
    Gedrog, brownvv and sonic reducer like this.
  3. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    I would love a CRF500L or CRF750L to be honest even a Husky 701 or KTM 700 enduro R with a twin cylinder will make for an awesome bike, dont want to hijack the thread butta now looking for parts as well
    Scutty likes this.
  4. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    my crf500L uses a cbr500r engine.

they all have the exact same tuning (HP/TQ) so only thing that really changes is the engine exterior color
  5. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you looked into anything like an ecu tune or other power mods?
  6. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    Not unless you want to stop every 5 minutes to let engine cool unless you can increase the cooling capacity it will probably not be a wise idea, someone out there has bolted a CBR600 engine into the CRF frame but it looks out of control max power I think is 54BHP for these Engine http://www.cbr500.net/cbr/500/ecu/cbr-500-ecu.html

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-crf500l-owners.1219100/#post-32157160
  7. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    I have, the fueling is pretty much spot on but there are some gains to be had. Albeit they come at the expense of major engine maintenance and cheap/crappy fuel toleration.
    There's a guy on CBR500Riders called Tothezenith that has done A LOT of tuning to his.
    I might at some point up the compression and do some head work but the reality is that in its current tune at 100hp/L it's a fucking gem of an engine. Goes pretty good, has a flat torque curve and doesn't require much maintenance... for a light adventure bike you really couldn't ask for better.
    Besides, off the road the lowly 47hp 30ft/lbs is really about the sweetest of sweet spots. It's got plenty of grunt but not enough that you get to see much Jesus before backing off.
    There are faster lighter bikes available but none that give you low/no vibration, allday touring comfort, good mileage and descent off-road performance all in the same package.
    The 690 is probably the closest but it's a fire breathing monster, sucks gas and needs a lot of looking after. Gem of a bike but not really a great long range bike. The CRF500L is a dog compaired to the 690 but I've pounded over 700 miles in a day and didn't feel like shit the next.
    As a TAT bike, I think the CRF500L IS the bike everyone keeps asking for. Some very mild power mods might favor this slightly but all things considered, it doesn't currently get much better. I've done the TAT twice, once ended in heartbreak... or should I just say nuts, the second was a victory. This platform is perfectly suited to that sort of adventure without screwing with the fuel injection.
    Still, there are some gains to be had... now if we could only get ahold of some of the Japanese CbR500 race series ECUs... those are fully unlocked and we could just use the Honda software tool to screw with them... no piggy back required.
    Te Hopo, victor441, rrrnnn and 3 others like this.
  8. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Um no... the cooling system is perfectly suited for the engine.
    I've had mine out on 105+ weather and drilled the shit out of it and the fan barely runs.
    Oddly the CBR500R radiator isn't much bigger, it's just turned sideways.
  9. Gedrog

Oddometer:
    I happen to agree here re performance gains versus maintenance, 690 is lovely bike but the only thing that has kept me away from it is its high maintenance and although the Husky looks highly enticing it has the same high strung engine. I have a F650 Dakar and an X-Challenge I love them both but only thing it can do with is a twin cylinder to bring the vibrations down a bit.
  10. Scutty

Oddometer:
    I totally agree with every point Levi made and I sold my 690 to find my CRF500L build for all of the above reasons.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
  11. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Member McRat did some test and tune with an ECU programmer and dyno. He posted his results over in the cb500x thread. He has since fallen off the radar over the past year or so.
  12. mach1mustang351

mach1mustang351 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably not the place to post this, but I guess I'll make it about me.

I have followed and read the build threads for these and enjoyed them. A month or so ago I decided I want to get a dirt bike again. I haven't had one in years, and want something for riding to the trails and tackling wider tag type routes. I'm not super interested in single track technical.

I read and read... Nothing is what I want... I want a CRF500L... Maybe I'll have a build thread going some day
  13. Samtech79

Oddometer:
    Pm me with your email and I'll send you a parts list.
    It's fairly involved but if you're (or whomever you hire) a competent fabricator then it's pretty straight forward.
    I can't speak for the others but technical support and question answering is a free for all but let's keep in on the other thread as to not water down Scutty's build.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/honda-crf500l-owners.1219100/
  14. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    no real need, the cb500/cbr500 engine are very well tuned for what i am using it for, god i love the flat TQ curve, and the amazing fuel economy.

im getting right around 3L/100km (78mpg) average. 3.5L/100KM in the dirt/city (67mpg) and about 2.5L/100km highway (95mpg). and if i gently ride at 80-90km/hr i can get as good as 2.1-ish L/100km (112mpg). all my feul economy is calculated at the pump not off the gauge, which is always way off anyways. so at an average of 3L/100km with a 12.45L tank i should average 420km out of a tank. very cheap fun if u ask me.

any messing with the feuling will drastically reduce feul economy, reduce reliability, and increase maintenance costs. and wont gain more then a few HP. so for me its not worth it at all, it stays stock.

plus for me, the added weight of the piggy back ECU tune+ wiring will probably be more of a hindrance then the 1-2hp i might gain....... and you all know how much i care about bike weight haha.
    rrrnnn likes this.
  15. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    the cooling really is not an issue.

in fact when u do a tune you tend to make the combustion richer thus reducing engine temps ( as it is right now the stock fueling is very lean anyways. lean= hot), not to mention most tunes require 91+ octane which again reduces combustion temps even further.

perhaps at high RPM yes a tune would produce more heat since your making physically more power then when below 4,000rpm , but at that rpm/speed your moving more then enough air over the radiator to cool the engine sufficiently.

for example a medium sized truck requires only about 10" x 10" of exposed radiator at 100km/hr to cool engine, and last time i checked a 6,000lb truck requires a shit ton more HP to move then a 344lb bike.

took the words straight out of my mouth.

only thing i would add is the beautifully square 67mm x 66.8mm bore/stroke ratio which give an amazing but still quiet sound.

correct, infact when i first did the swap i measured out the two radiators and the cbr500r radiator was the exact same width as the crf250l was tall, but was only a few inches taller then the crf250l was wide, same thickness too. i think at the end i calculated that the cbr500r radiator had about 15-20% more cooling capacity, thats it.

people have to remember, the crf250l has to work alot harder to move a bike then a cbr500r engine has to, thus the crf250l will produce more heat.

funny , i too had a ktm 690 adventure. sold it and made the CRF500L haha.

the ktm 690 was just not very civilized, fun but not civilized. o and cost an arm and a leg to maintain.
    rrrnnn likes this.
  16. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the dimensions for the bare engine? Or even better, dimensioned photographs for the mountings and envelope?
  17. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    CRF500L #4 ???
  18. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BlueLghtning likes this.
  19. mjc506

mjc506 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe the beginnings of something similar...

Ooh, I'd missed that thread! Thanks!
    michaelkozera likes this.
  20. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Big update coming this weekend on #3, all very exciting.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    michaelkozera and ben2go like this.