CRF500L build #3 - The Brit remix

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Scutty, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not until next year - we are planning to do the TAT starting in July
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    The bike is looking great Scutty - very clean and simple, and I love the attention to detail - some real quality components on there!

Personally I'm not a fan of the HDB screen/tower - I think the bike would look even prettier with a more traditional 8" round BD/Trail-Tech race light for example? - but I appreciate you want some kind of weather and instrument protection on there, particularly for the trip/use you have planned... and the HDB stuff is great quality - plus those Squadron lights are fabulous, I have a pair myself.

Top work - this is the sharpest looking example yet!

Jenny x
    Te Hopo and Scutty like this.
  3. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny

That fairing is super light and, for distance, really offers good wind protection. I agree slightly - it's not overly pretty but very functional.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  4. J_B

J_B Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Scatty the bike looks great.
    I see most of the conversions use the crf250l frame , is there a reason they don't use gear crf450x frame as the suspension on that bike is fully adjustable and a full rally kit including rear tanks available ..?
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    A number of reasons - the CRF 250/450X frames are aluminium (not steel like the CRF250L), so are much harder to cut/shut and weld successfully, especially as the original will be heat-treated too... plus the CRF enduro engines are physically much smaller, and their frame beams are unlikely to fit around the twin cylinder head of the CB500 engine in the same way.

Although it's still a cozy fit, this combo has been proven to work - not just the frame/cradle itself, but the chain alignment, the air-box and ancillaries etc. and it's easier to work with a steel frame like this, and upgrade the suspension components as required...

I'd still like to see a CB500 engine in an XR650R chassis mind you - but the same welding issues would apply there too of course.

Jx
    Scutty likes this.
  6. OHjim

OHjim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another reason at least in the USA is that many states won't allow you to get a "dirt bike" plated - even if you put a dual sport kit on it - usually comes down to if the title has "Off Road" on it. The CRF205L comes from Honda as a street legal bike. Not sure about other countries.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  7. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Jenny is partly correct as the L frame is easier to work with but it is also about the intent of the whole project. My goal wasn't to get the lightest and fastest 500cc twin enduro bike, I wanted to build a real world useable, long distance, off road travel bike. A bike that can be fixed anywhere, can carry plenty of luggage, is very ecconomical (means I need to carry less fuel for same range), low maintenance and is reliable. It could be lighter or faster but either would have compromised the original goals. I know these might not be the goals other people want and therefore, for them, this isn't the right frame/engine combo but, after riding even just a short ride yesterday I am certain it is the perfect combo for me.
    There is a down side of course and this hasn't been a cheap build for me. Where Michael and Levi have skills and workshops, I have had to pay to have some of the work done; which is slow and expensive. I also have invested in the best brands for the upgrades, RaceTech, Ohlins, HDB , Baja Designs and Seat Concepts which all come at a cost (and a ton of import duty) but I was always told you get what you pay for and I want this to be the best it can be.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    victor441, Te Hopo, Samtech79 and 3 others like this.
  8. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scutty, the bike looks brilliant :clap, any idea what it weighs? I've also heard murmurings about the 300 Ninja engine being another possible option, do you have any thoughts about that?

Cheers,

Adrian
    Scutty likes this.
  9. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Damn you! I have been lusting over the other 2 builds. But yours has me foaming at the mouth. Yours looks so much like my builds it's not even funny. I have 2 hoped up dr350s . And I mean hoped up in every single way. Wide ratio transmission. Big bore. Over size everything. Upgraded suspension. They are fantastic but I bet yours is better in every way. Mine might be lighter though. You should really weigh that thing.... good job in that build. That's a fantastic do everything bike. I really need to go ride a cbr500r to get a feel for that engine. 20170507_130525.jpg 20170307_092547.jpg
    Scutty likes this.
  10. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Thanks Adrian

I did see mention of the 300 Ninja engine but, for me, it makes it's power in all the wrong ways for dirt riding. 13k rpm limit, best torque at 9800rpm and peak power at 11000rpm is all great fun on the street but not ideal for the dirt. The CB500 on the other hand hits peaks torque at 6700rpm and power at 8500rpm. That's not the most exciting engine for sure but great for what I need it to do, especially when you put it in a way lighter frame

11. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Thanks and you're right, they are very similar. I like you black infills on the fairing, where did you get those?

I will get down to the weighbridge as soon as the bash plate is done. Turns out it's a little trickier then we though to knock one up so it's going to be another few days before it's ready. Looks awesome in titanium though

12. brownvv

brownvv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20160728_093549.jpg
    Ya that black on the fairing helped the looks allot. It's too big and white without. I just bought bulk black vinyl decal and cut them to fit. Then I slapped that white suzuki decal on top of it. My friends think my fairings are ugly but I don't care. After using and abusing that thing I have nothing but respect for it.
  13. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    another great CRF500L build well done! I was so close to going this direction but took the easy way out and sold! Yours looks awfully similar to how mine would have (or vice versa)!

[​IMG]
    rrrnnn and Scutty like this.
  14. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Got any photos of this magic skid plate yet?
    I'm foaming at the mouth to see some progress here.
  15. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Levi - he came round with it on Sunday but, the way I had designed it meant we either need to hand bend it significantly or he needed to trim a fiar bit off the 'wings'. As its no titanium there was zero hope of bending it so he has chopped it down. He is round this evening with it and I'll post some photos. The welding is amazing on it though.
  16. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    so whats the problem exactly?

is the oil pan getting in the way or the muffler?

if the muffler is getting in the way, have your machine shop bend the exhaust pipe into an oval. this way u lose zero flow but potentially gain 1-2" of ground clearance.
  17. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. Ti wets out nice, welds sorta like stainless... if you can keep it shielded. If not it goes pear shaped in an instant.
  18. Scutty

Oddometer:
    Here you go, not properly mounted yet, I am waiting for a delivery but looks good so far :)

20170531_211703.jpg

20170531_211652.jpg
    The guy can weld!
    20170531_211826.jpg
    20170531_211809.jpg
    Te Hopo likes this.
  19. sonic reducer

sonic reducer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool but how did you decide on titanium? First ti skidplate I've ever heard of.
  20. Scutty

Oddometer:
    It wasn't so much a choice, rather my fabricator had run out of aluminium and offer to do it in titanium. Looks good though and should be tough as nails. Hoping for some sparks as well!