1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

CRF500L build #6?

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by drag123, Jan 7, 2018.

1. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @michaelkozera What do you think the finished bike would cost, assuming that I don't open either a crf250l donor bike or the CB500 engine? Just the turn key package? Not looking for a quote, just a reasonable estimate.
  2. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    $10,500-$12,500 depending on options. Low end of that range would be without suspension work.

Decent used CRF250L is about 4k, complete good donor CBR500R is about 3.5k.
  3. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    Screenshot (392).png
    Here in the UK it's a buyers market at the minute, two engines there for well less than a grand. Loom throttle bodies and clocks/ignition switch another £400. A CRF250L donor bike is around £2800 - £3500. Somewhere around £1000 - £1500 for all frame related fab work + throttle bodies connection to engine/airbox. Electrics faff-on expect to pay around £500 labour (man hours). Custom twin exhaust + silencers £1000. £800 suspension. Before you know it your up around the £8k/£9k mark just for the big lumps of expenditure and then the invisible costs of the smaller fine detail work that very often gets forgotten about when totting up a final costing so stick another £1k on top for sure. There you go, as a real rough estimate their expect to fork out £10k...….
  4. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i was lucky, i had a crf250l, and i bought everything for the conversion, including all materials for under 2,000$ CAD ( so like $1,500 USD). plus about 70hrs of my own time.

probably could get that down to 50hrs.

at 50$ an hr for a welder = 2,500$ + 4,000 (crf250l) + 5,000 (cb500/cbr500)+ misc 1,000. and of course your own time.

Larryboy estimate of 10-12g is spot on

5G at the cheapest, and about 20G at the high end.
    KayDubbya likes this.
  5. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't build a bike for a customer with some random engine off eBay, it'd have to be out of a good condition running/riding donor bike. I'd build myself one as cheap as possible with untested parts, but never for a customer.
    Brtp4 likes this.
  6. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a spare CB500X engine in my garage I got for 99p of eBay, there are bargains around!
    larryboy likes this.
  7. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Omg. That must be one of those 1£ mistyped listings what nobody else had bid on what Ive always read on, but never experienced.
  8. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I've tuned about a dozen of these engines now. The lowest mileage being about 1.5k and the highest about 40k. All had been within tolerances even the highest mileage ones.
    Having said that the head casting can be all around the place resulting in mismatched fueling - usually cyl #1 is a lot richer than the other - but bottom end and cylinder wear was in perfect shape in all of those.
    flipflopdog likes this.
  9. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. They are pretty reliable engines. Hence why i originally choose it for the project.

Every time ive done a valve check its been within spec. Ive got well over 110,000km on the engine and runs beautifully.
  10. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    While were on the fueling here, Oyabun, you seem to have your head together around the running of these engines. I'm due soon to take mine to a dyno guy and get it all mapped/synched in, are there any known oddities around this engine relating to fuelling like you mention there about cylinders running hotter etc etc...????
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Buying one off eBay for a customer that might have been upside-down in a ditch bouncing off the rev limiter for half an hour isn't a risk I'd take. An engine for me personally, sure, why not?
  12. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    michaelkozera likes this.
  13. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    The commentary on these builds is more entertaining than the photos - come on all you lurkers - get out there and start your builds
  14. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Nothing specific. On the stock setup they tend to be reliably stoichiometrically fuelled in closed loop, and fairly rich at WOT. The two cylinders have different fuel and ignition maps from the factory, and they run a bit different at most times.
    If you're investing funds and dyno time into programming, I'd suggest to get individual maptpimg for the two cylinders. That way you can have the best performance and a most reliably fuelled motor.
    The engine is a bit tricky on the intake side due the 180° firing order - even the very short duration intake cams are overlapping - so breathing really benefits from larger airbox volume or less restriction of the airbox inlet.
  15. Scutty

Scutty Talent-limited bike builder and rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find that mine is very sensitive to exhaust back pressure - a too restrictive exhaust really chokes the engine. I am trying to find the right balance between free-flowing gasses and a noise level I can tolerate (I hate noisy bikes).
    MotoPolo likes this.
  16. MotoPolo

Oddometer:
    Size matters
    nickguzzi likes this.