CRF500L full build thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Jul 2, 2015.

1. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    I hope one isn't thinking of selling one's bike dear Michael...???
  2. flipflopdog

flipflopdog Youth & Talent, no match 4 Old Age & Treachary

Oddometer:
    Gateshead the Grim North of England...!!!
    I hope one isn't thinking of selling one's bike dear Michael...???
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am most ceritantly not selling.

Even if i was the crf250l bits are almost at 250,000km....... so yeah i dont think any one would want suchba high milage bike.
    ben2go and ywr969 like this.
  4. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Knowing you're the builder, I'd buy it.
  5. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to be the truth police on this one, but I’m worried that people will run and buy a shiny new VX3 and find out the actual fuel economy is no where near what you’re claiming. Its an amazing bike, but in reality it will average half the 800kms you mentioned and will not go almost 2,000kms over mountain roads on 27L of fuel. Yes its likely you just took a little ‘artistic license’ to prove your point, but, as I mentioned, we dont want a bunch of very disappointed new owners.
    79thunder likes this.
  6. OHjim

OHjim Long timer

Oddometer:
    79thunder likes this.
  7. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine is shopping for a new bike, I have suggested a Versys 300X.
    After doing some reading on ADV (per my recommendation), he claims they get 100 mpg...

I bitch slapped him back to reality.
    Is this the source of that information?

From what I have read:

Best: 3.51 L/100km = 67 US mpg = 80.4 CAD mpg
    Avg: 4.16 L/100km = 56.5 US mpg = 68 CAD mpg
    Worst: 4.92L/100km = 47.8 US mpg = 57.4 CAD mpg

posted from Ken in Regina who is a fairly conservative 5'5" tall rider with a 15 tooth sprocket on the bike.

Spudrider claims over 70 mpg and he is a hypermiler. (very conservative rider)

Even giving a large benefit of doubt and letting you have 90 mpg and you use every last drop of the 4.5 gallons you'd have a max range of 405 miles=650 kms.

Somewhere on that trip, she's going to have to push the bike 150 kms.
    (even at 100 mpg you'd still have to push it for 75km (or at least 15 hours))

If she can manage an actual average of 100mpg, that's awesome, but I don't believe that to be realistically obtainable (or fun) for everyone.

There are people reading this forum relying on us for information and facts...
    Actual mileage is around 60 mpg with a useful range of 250 miles or 400 kms. (1/2 of 800km)

I convinced my friend to join ADVrider to find real world, useful information.
    Now that his head is on straight, I think he is still very interested in a 300X.

In the same interest of reality, how worn out is the CRF500L frame, chassis, suspension, etc.?
    Any signs of metal fatigue, cracks, broken welds?
    Is the bike on it's last legs?

The CRF500L's are a wonderful builds,
    The CRF 250L is designed as kind of a light duty recreational trail bike,
    the only drawback I can see is perhaps slightly overtaxing that chassis?

I imagine the engine is still very good.

You've certainly gotten your full amount of fun, miles and usefullness out of it.
    Will you rebuild it, part it out, or build a fresh version?
    Is there a new bike in the garage?

Cruz and HeadinSouth like this.
  8. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's two types of gallons, US and imperial. Which standard are we discussing? One imperial gallon is approximately equal to 1.201 U.S. gallons.
    michaelkozera likes this.
  9. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    Good question.
    I probably shouldn't speak for everyone, but at least as far as I know,
    when Canadians reference mpg or gallons, we're referring to U.S. gallons.

I don't actually know anyone who uses imperial gallons in Canada.

(well occassionally someone 55+ might ask for clarification if it's imperial or U.S.,
    so perhaps if they were around in the pre-metric era?) - sorry not implying anything about Ken, but it's odd to see the imperial mpg rating even included.

The tank size is spec'd at U.S. gallons, most of our shared consumer goods are based on U.S. ounces, pints or gallons.
    Then converted to metric on the label if neccessary.

I don't know anyone who asks for a 3.78L jug of milk. :photog
    It's still a gallon as far as I know. :-)
    ben2go and michaelkozera like this.
  10. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    well let me just start off by saying you took my words right out of context.

if you read the previous posts before that post i mention that 800km (2.1L/100km/ 110mpg US) is its best fuel economy. more realistically she gets 2.5L/100km, (90-100mpg US), still an impressive 700km range.

now furthermore she weighs 105lb's wet @5ft tall. this makes a HUGE difference for fuel economy. im 175lb @6ft and when i ride the V300x i average 3.5L/100km (70mpg US), 3L/100km if im really careful.

even more so, ive learnt over the years that fuelly, altho a great resource, grossly under estimates its numbers, there is absolutely no reason a 500twin @430lbs wet should only get 50mpg US..........
    the only logical explanation is that people tend to ride bikes hard, as whats that old saying? ride a slow bike fast, and a fast bike slow? if you ride a motorbike sensibly, a 300 twin should easily get 70mpg+

and now for the nail in the coffin,
    my wife has been riding every day to work for the last 3 weeks on her new v300x, yes the gearing has been made taller to reduce engine RPM at speed but this will be minimal effect on L/100km. her route to work is roughly 60% highway @110km/hr and 40% city riding, she stops occasionally for lights, not much traffic. just the other day she filled up 15.355L and she rode 653.3km (ODO is GPS confirmed to be within 1%, as i know u r gonna ask).

now, basic math means that 15.355L at a distance of 653km is exactly 2.35L/100km (100mpg US)

so please, tell me agian how a versys 300x is SOOOO bad on gas that people get 4l/100km. those people just ride like assholes and then wonder why their tiny, over worked 300 twin bike sucks on gas.

according to fuelly a 2007-R1 suppose to average 6.4L/100km, i averaged 5L/100km on that bike.......

in conclusion, i admit that 100mpg+ is a "special case" and/or "limited to small, light and sensible riders". so i would say from personal experience, the average person should see a return of 70-80mpg US.
    ywr969 and cyclopathic like this.
  11. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    What type of windshield do you have?

What you are saying makes perfect sense as 90%+ of wasted power goes against air resistance. Smaller rider, improved aerodynamics, riding in dense traffic/drafting, lower speeds = better MPG.

There are people on ecomoder who with simple aero mods were able to get 130mpg out of Ninja 300 IIRC.

EDIT: also at what altitude do you live?
    neanderthal and michaelkozera like this.
  12. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually when I was in the car assembly business I once stopped the production line because I thought we had an issue with the MPG callout on the vehicle label. The car in question was rated at 24 MPG but the label was indicating something like 28MPG.

A quick investigation showed that the car in question was a Canadian unit and our Regs guys stated that they used an Imperial Gallon for MPG calculation rather than a US Gallon.
    AdventureLite and Night_Wolf like this.
  13. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
    the pilot makes a yuge difference. within the past month, i've pulled down 61mpg on my fz-07 while taking it easy, & then 38mpg when hammering it in wind.
  14. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    I believe the stock windsheild that has been raised 3" and slightly tilted back.
    and Calgary is at 3440 ft.

I don't think I've ever seen that.
    Every window sticker of a Canadian DSO vehicle has been in L/100km for at least 20+years.
    They used to list both U.S. mpg and L/100km.

I think when referring to mpg it's always U.S. gallons.
    I could be wrong, maybe pre-80's or 90's

I would likely believe it would be the result of magazines, TV commercials, etc.. all born and bred in the U.S. (Hollywood and Detroit)
    whether it's Road and Track or the newest Ram commercial during the Superbowl, it's mpg in U.S. gallons.

I'm not sure anyone under 55 here "thinks" in imperial.
    Or even recognizes the whole British commonwealth relationship altogether.

Today, the Monarchy has about as much influence on our day to day lives as that groundhog has on our weather patterns.

We are however, heavily influenced by our closest neighbours.
    The U.S.A., it's media, economy and politcs.

15. HeadinSouth

HeadinSouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, as per your calculations, you’re not getting 800kms per tank and you cannot ride a Versys 300 to and from Calgary and Vancouver on $40. Thank you for clearing that up.
    Also I’m not sure why people getting 4L/100kms are classified as people who ‘ride like A-holes’ and are over working their bikes??? Its likely what most of your fellow VX3 members, including myself, are getting for fuel economy. Lastly I dont work for Kawi, but I’m pretty sure 4L/100kms is not overworking the motor and if it is, theres a lot of owners who are gonna be pretty disappointed.
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Your wife's size and weight and riding habit/ environment are the perfect components to get excellent fuel economy.

My lardy 230lb ass gets 60mpg on my Africa Twin when I do a lot of 40mph city riding and 65mph freeway riding. Most of my street riding is at 40- 45mph and we have long straight streets. My instant fuel economy has read as high as 78mpg when i've caught every green light going at those speeds.

Our freeways normally are 75mph though.

Our combined fuelly avg is mid 40s for Africa Twin owners. I'm at 48mpg and inching up.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    : fpalm
  18. 79thunder

Oddometer:
    What part of that don't you understand?
    The sarcasm?

Maybe I misread the inference?
    that Canadians must use some strange foreign units of measurements (imperial) because they're part of the British commonwealth?

Just trying to clear the air...
    We refer to U.S. gallons. period.
    (which I fully understand the history behind it's origins)
    michaelkozera likes this.
  19. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    in canada its always been the more superior system of L/100km, as that measurement cannot change since a "L" is the same around the world and a "km" is also the same around the world lol
    :hide
  20. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    correct.

970km x2 = 1940km @ 2.5L/100km = 48.5L gasoline was 95c/L at the time so 46$ to make the round trip. but with gasoline @ 1.22$ now it gonna cost 60$. still impressive IMO

and no, not implying that riding like an asshole makes the rider an asshole, just they are abusing the bike.