CRF500L full build thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by michaelkozera, Jul 2, 2015.

1. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    And yes. Still smoother then most singles. But interesting, the vibes i feel are not like ur traditional vibes, they are as Scutty said, more like harmonic rathur then mechanical.
  2. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Not that it would matter but I think I've said they're feeling like harmonic resonants. I was actually trying to find their source - but no luck so far.
  3. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    O shit. Yeah. Wrong person lol.

But yeah. Im pretty sure they are the cams/ valves as mentioned earlier.

It also could be the exhaust. To be more specific, the exhuast gasses. I think this because at 5k rpm it will vibrate only if im on the highway at high load ( headwind/hill) or in the city if im accelerating hard. Like 50% throttle or more. So its load dependant.

I think its becuase of the 180 degree crank.
    ywr969 likes this.
  4. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    I was even thinking that it might be a resonance of the engine firing and the teeth on the front sprocket - but never experimented with a larger front sprocket to check validity of the theory.
  5. MotoPolo

MotoPolo So many places, so little time Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight - I've never has a bike with ABS. I can certainly see the value on the road.

Cush drive is highly recommended. A concern with rubber mounting the engine is that it is now not a very stiff frame member. Most of these street bike engines are designed to be stress members which allows you to either make a lighter frame or stiffer frame or both. Rubber mounts will take away this advantage. Good to hear the vibs are way less than the singles - the whole point of doing these twin cylinder builds is to get a smooth adventure bike. Is 5000 rpm right in some comfortable speed band? Could you gear around it? Where do you feel the vibe - seat, handlebars?
  6. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    shit i totally forgot about that. yeah the frame would fold if the engine is not ridged mounted. if i rubber mounted it then it would stress the frame and over time form cracks.
  7. 79thunder

79thunder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the 500x engine use a rubber cushioned front sprocket?
  8. Desert dual sport

Desert dual sport n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello, I just found this thread! I'm hoping to get some insight on a similar build. I have a drz400 that I desperately want to be more highway capable. I'm not interested in 400+lb machines. I genuinely think this is the best route for me. I have the welding and fabrication skills required, I'm an experienced TIG welder as well as MIG with 1000s of hours under my belt. My question to the OP, is do you think the engine will fit my chassis? I believe it's a bit larger than the CRF250L and I think that is to my advantage. Any and all input is welcome!

Thanks in advance! Plus a link to your detailed build thread would be awesome!
  9. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    If You thinking of throwing it into a DRZ there is a thread on it here
    Desert dual sport likes this.
  10. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    larryboy likes this.
  11. WalterMitty2

WalterMitty2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If Honda would have based the 450L on the 250L versus just making it a street legal 450R, I think I would have my perfect bike.

I would gladly give back some of the performance of the 450L, if it had the 250L's maintenance intervals, and dash. Oh, and make the throttle response linear and smooth from the factory so I don't have to buy a pipe and ecu.
    JagLite and madrider5150 like this.