Crime in Baja . . . discuss.

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Pelon, Nov 19, 2007.

1. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    Hope its ok to discuss mainland crime here as well.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_9202541

Alot people like to compare USA with Mexico when it comes to crime.
    This shit doesn't happen in the US..............nearly as frequently as it seems to be happening down in Mexico. Its a little crazy down there right now in ole Chihuaha/Sinaloa.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I firmly believe in the No-Harm-No-Foul rule.
    I love riding in Mexico.
    I think it requires a different mind-set and...an acceptance.
  3. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Of course, 9/11 and Oklahoma City have never happened in Mexico . . . .

Every country has its problems.
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    If you want to talk about bad driving... Mexico is civilized compared to Peru.

My personal order, worst to best:
    Peru
    Ecuador
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Nicaragua
    Honduras
    Guatemala
    El Salvador
    Panama
    Mexico
    Chile
    Argentina
    USA
    Canada

I've been to all the countries of Western Europe except for Portugal, and none of them, in my opionion, are as bad as Panama, which would put the worst as about even with Mexico.

Now, Crime in Mexico... I didn't see any at all. I really like Mexico. Sure, there were a few moments when the vibe wasn't good, but I really liked it. Even if it's dangerous, the food, the drink, and omg the women- it's totally worth the risk.
  5. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    I have never been to Chile, Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, or Colombia. But, I have been to Venezuela, Cuba, to most countries in Europe, and throughout Africa. The drivers in Venezuela were definitely the worst. France and Italy were about even with Mexico. Russia was almost as bad as Venezuela.
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    apples to apples my friend.
    When the mcveigh militia types or drug gangs in the US start offing top ranking FBI dudes in their own homes on a daily basis, I'll concur that we have it as bad as they have it. The corruption of the government in Mexico is not the same as the corruption we might have here.

I'm not saying its unsafe to travel in Mexico and I'll continue to go down there as much as I always have. I just find it fascinating. thats all.
    And as fucked up as our government is right now, Mexico's is far worse.
  7. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Beg to differ. Mexico's government fails its own people. Ours fails the world. But, I don't want to talk politics. The only safe countries left are Andorra and San Marino.
  8. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    OK I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Another clueless gringo.
  9. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
  10. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    Time to climb on the soapbox...

Don't expect the bloodshed to stop until the US finally takes a clue from Prohibition and decriminalizes drug use. Let's be completely honest here - the carnage we've been discussing is a direct result of US drug policy. None of this would be happening if you could buy coke, pot, etc in Walgreens.

Jeff
  11. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    I could not agree more. However, it would put me out of business. :cry
  12. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    +1

I had this opinion before the big ride to Argentina, but my opinion before wasn't as strong as it is now. The ride-experiences changed me.
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    and as stated in training day:

"Let the animals take out the animals." "God willing..."

they do it everyday. with drugs like those available readily, we could significantly reduce the amount of trash in the gene pool. they could smoke and shoot themselves to death at a much higher rate due to the lower cost.

brilliant. legalize it. F the trash.
  14. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    now then, crime in baja. if you're scared, don't come. If you don't know how to conduct yourself. don't come. it's just that easy. i am a white boy, i live in TJ and i speak spanish. I get alot further than most being able to speak spanish.

I am white. And i live in TJ. i'm not reckless, and i'm not a bad-ass.

quite simply, if you go to where the crime is and you're not ready, you will be a victim. period.
  15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1!!
    Vermin self elimination, brilliant idea, I'm all for it, seriously, open the gates! I'll buy shares in Walgreens, and watch as the welfare roles decline, I like it.
    Steve
  16. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you guys a little story that will get you thinking.

I was visiting with an old friend the other day who does business in Mexico. One of his customers, a Mexican national, was kidnapped and held in a small cage in a dark room. He said he could see other guys in cages in the same room. Yikes. He also said that the kidnappers make you give them the names and addresses of 5 acquaintances to kidnap before they'll let you go. (I assume the ransom must be paid as well.)

Be nice to your buddies!
  17. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Thats good stuff there. There are many of the same dangers here in the States that there are in Mexico, but In Mex, its in a context that most US dwellers are not familiar with, hence the perception of increased danger.

I've felt unsafe in Mex once, just like here at home, and I did just what I do here at home, get the hell out of there pronto! But that said I put myself in the situation, big city, bar/night club, minding my own business etc. But, in most of Baja, outside the big cities and tourist traps, the chance of you running into trouble is very, very low, just like here at home. Parts of the west coast are an exception to that rule, namely the areas around Colonet and Camalu. You go camp on the beach and think you are safe, well, large towns are only a couple miles away, more people, more danger, just like here at home. However, get out in the MOFN, youre safe from people, its nature that poses the biggest danger, and yes, it can be very dangerous, just like here at home.

As far as learning to speak Spanish, Its not required to even be conversational, but if you do something as simple as sit down for a couple of hours each day for about a month and learn some basic vocabulary and phrases, (with software, tapes or books) and bring a dictionary with you, you will have a MUCH easier time getting around. Cant stress that enough, its that helpful to have just a little knowledge of the language, and you will make alot of people laugh at your dicked up pronunciation which is always a good thing. Also when you make the effort, people are always more willing to help you out. Besides that, it will allow you to get some local knowledge of an area, whats safe to do, whats not, just like here at home.

I also feel that its prudent to at least get familiar with Mexico first hand before doing a solo trip there. At the very least, you will have better wits about you if you have been before and know whats what, whats OK to do and what to avoid, just like here at home.

As my Colombian friends like to say, "vya, vya, pero no des papaya.........."
  18. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    Geez, and if you want to live a safe boring life it's a good idea to stay home and hide under the covers!

In the last six months of touring Mexico I've met some great friends in bars and clubs full of borrachos. I've had three "threatening" experiences; two with Mexicanos (both situations were immediately defused by their friends) and one with three rednecks from Florida that were looking awfully hard for someone to gay-bash in the Zona Rosa of Mexico City. Why they chose a group of four fairly burly guys with their girlfriends for this particular activity I have no idea, but it did occur to me at the time that these three genuinely deserved having their asses handed to them and I would have been a more than willing participant.

Mexican bars are awesome - people are way friendlier to strangers here than they are in the US. I highly recommend learning the words to a few Vincente Fernandez songs and spending an evening drinking, singing, playing pool, or watching fĂștbol. A buddy and I even had a great time cheering for the "wrong team" of a USA/Mexico match in a bar in Oaxaca. Nothing but smiles.

Jeff
  19. Andres A

Andres A FINDING NEMO

Oddometer:
    McAllen, TX, TAMAULIPAS Y PUNTOS CIRCUNVECINOS
    Guys i'm in Reynosa, Mexico on the border with Texas, please when visit Mexico AVOID CANTINAS, TABLE DANCE, BARES, TOLERANCE ZONES (PROSTITUTION AREAS), if you want drink beer or alcohol, drink in your hotel or camping area, Mexico is a safe country with dangerous areas like all the countrys in the world, but to make good use of this page, when you visit Mexico contact the Mexican ADV rider & get 2 benefit:
    Ride in nice places

and know the safe areas of the city o region

if somebody visit the rio grande valley and cross the border have a friend in Reynosa.

Andres A.

Attached Files:

20. MeCasa

MeCasa I didn't start it

Oddometer:
    I live in Texas and I've ride a lot in Mexico...There are 2 Mexico's, the first is the Mexico Ciudad Grande, not just Mexico City but ALL large cities, watch your back, lots of good people but also lots of bad people. And the second Mexico is the country Mexico, in the country people will give you he shirts off their backs especially once you prove yourself trustworthy.

In the country, respect the women and you will have no problems