Cross Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JimmieA, Mar 11, 2006.

1. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to take a trip across Canada from Alberta to NB and back in June, this summer. I'll be riding the BMW R1150GS and camping, single up. I have about 16 days for the trip is that too much? I have driven, by car, across a few times and it is a long haul. I would love to take the scenic route but to make sure I get there I would go the shortest route. I have family in NB so I'd spend a few days there. Maybe this is just a winter dream session/cabin fever?
  2. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    I'm also ridring across Canada this summer. Should be in NB around June too!
    We have a little more time to play with, but in your case I think I'd barrel across the TransCan from AB to NB via the shortest route. See how long it takes you and how many days you wish to spend in NB. Then you can determine how many scenic routes you have time for on your return. Depending on how many km you can ride in a day, it can take 3 days just to cross Ontario (~2000 kms, border to border, most direct route).
  3. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    You're looking at five days on average to cover that distance. There's guys here who'll do it in three, but that' the avg. Five there, five back, leaves you six visiting. Shorten that visit up a bit and you can do less droning thru Ontario and see a bit of the place.

Me? 4 down, four there, wander home.
  4. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking no dusk or nightime riding. Maybe 12 hours on the road including gas stops and meals, maybe a bit more. That would be 5 days at about 600 miles a day. Knowing me I would push harder but 5 days or 6 days would be doable and one night in a hotel half way maybe depending on the weather.

Anyone have a list of what they carry on their bike when camping. I need to buy some light gear. A tent and sleeping bag for sure. I just bought two waterproof bags and a Coleman stove that burns three different fuels. I would like to get a good light, I have a Colemen lantern (wick type) but that wouldn't travel too well me thinks.
  5. tor1150r

tor1150r --

Oddometer:
    Check http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/ for a checklist.

There are a few here, so look at the one most suitable. You can also customize the list on-line. Good resourse. I have looked at 2 stoves: MXR Dragonfly and a Brundel. Both claim to run on the same stuff our bikes do. Some have claimed the Dragonfly soots up a little less. I think either will do fine, as in Canada, good grade gasoline is readily avail. The jets seem to get clogged when using leaded, low octane fuel found in other parts of the world.
  6. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Thousand clicks a day can be comfortably done. You'll lose time on the set up and tear down of camp, price of camping.

If you're only transiting, I'd suggest you forego the cooking stuff. Decent meals can be had quickly and cheaply, thus saving you lots of time. Even McDonalds has healthy meals, so you can be in and out quickly. When you're transiting, you lose the most mileage when you aren't moving, of course. Steady 10 over the limit, and short stops will get you there quickest. So I've found, anyways.
  7. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

When you go through eastern Manitoba, and my area, you'll have to be very careful in the morning, and at night. The number of deer is just incredible.
    Pm me later, let me know when you are coming through, and I'll have a beer and a steak for you. I live about 500 feet from the Trans Canada.
  8. Drif10

Oddometer:
    :D
  9. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:

Hey Driffy , be nice now!! I'm not THAT lonely.

I've had four riders visit this week, not bad for March....

I'm expecting Colin (Loadedagain) to visit tomorrow as well.

Note to self: Buy LOTS of beer!!!!
  10. Drif10

Oddometer:
    When you see Colin, grab him by the ears and plant a big wet slopy kiss on his forehead, tell him it's from me. :deal

-9 this morning, but it wasn't snowing...rode to work. :ricky

Come on summer! :wings
  11. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    -19 when I got off work this morning, and just getting over the worst flu in years.

So no riding today. :(
  12. jlmoulto

jlmoulto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, when I read cross Canada I was thinking BC to Newfoundland :1drink

Nice trip anyways (see envious!)
  13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Just did AB to PEI last summer. Vist ZZR Ron and Drif10. Both are stand-up fellas.
    It took me 4 1/2 days to get to PEI. It was a steady pace, but not insane.
    Most camp grounds are a rip off. There are lots of trails into the bush to set up a tent. The campies tend to give people with bikes the lot in the back with uneven ground and lots of roots. I camped in an abandoned rock quarry (on Cape Breton) with a better ground.

The trip took me 1 month and 1 day. I still needed atleast another week. (For Montreal.)

I went to Woodstock, NB. Its not as fun as it sounds.

Jeff
  14. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I have got the time off so it's time to start planning the trip serious like. I have 18 days but the first one is after comming off nights so that is a bummer. I may try to get into Sask. that first day or at least to my lake lot near Athabasca.

I need to purchase a suitable tent and sleeping bag. I'm thinking about getting a set of Jesse bags, I have BMW system cases now. I don't think I'll cook on this trip just eat out along the way.