Cross Country CRF230L

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JamesHTrotter, Mar 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hard to believe mid-March is upon us! This Tuesday, I will leave New York to relocate to Utah for a few months. Looking to head south, visit a few friends along the coast of South Carolina before making path the through Savanah, into Florida, and then westward along the gulf, and into Texas.
    Being a minimalist by nature, the physical act of loading up the bike and heading out is not as daunting as the emotional aspect--letting go of almost everything that does not fit in a backpack, and physically distancing from those things and relationships which I have valued so greatly.
    I got into motorcycle travel less for cool factor and more for the economy. Having toured on small-displacement bikes before (5k miles on a CB250 Nighthawk), the 71 mpg is a huge advantage to traveling any other way. Plus, I feel more comfortable on two wheels, and it is very much in-line with this minimalist life previously mentioned.
    For now, finish packing, and then a few local rides to make sure everything is running well.
    IMG_0673.jpg
  2. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, You got the minimalist part down..........In on this one and waiting for more.
    ejm4 likes this.
  3. jna

jna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is your expected travel time?
  4. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    dude !!! i have stuff just for a ride to work!!! lol!!! I am in... small bikes and big rides makes me feel normal.

Damasovi
    Ginger Beard and malmon like this.
  5. jules083

jules083 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Looks like a fun ride.
  6. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to start heading south from New York on Tuesday night. Then just taking it one day at a time. Hopefully posting here every other day.
    Orthodoc likes this.
  7. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    OMG best wishes I can’t imagine riding this time of year there is still 6 feet of snow in my yard and I’m only a hard days ride north of you
    JamesHTrotter likes this.
  8. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun, I know what you mean about small displacement bikes and gas mileage, my first bike was a 250 Honda Rebel with 70 mpg. I miss it!
    JamesHTrotter and damasovi like this.
  9. FutureMan

FutureMan n00b

Oddometer:
    in
  10. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This could be interesting. IN.
  11. malmon

malmon Unknown Noobody

Oddometer:
    I'm in
  12. malmon

malmon Unknown Noobody

Oddometer:
    There's a minimalist tourimg thread btw
  13. malmon

malmon Unknown Noobody

Oddometer:
  14. LightWeight416

LightWeight416 n00b

Oddometer:
    As a fellow 230L owner I am totally in. I'm in central NC should you end up needing anything when you're in the area.
  15. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    02018834-F6C0-42D1-9A46-41BC63420274.jpeg Forgive the delay, have had a few things come up, but timing is always perfect! Made it safely to Charleston, and hoping to continue the way south into Florida before heading west.
    This is the bike fully loaded. With a history of long distance backpacking and monastic living, it has been important to transfer those simplistic qualities into most other things. This set up is everything: clothes, tools, camping things, and all of my food (aka a giant bag of oats). Which pretty much sums up my possessions.
    Looking forward to the days ahead, but taking it one hour at a time, one mile at a time.
    Will try to update here every other day. Please do not hesitate to find me on Instagram ( notMatthewReid ) as I will update story posts much more frequently.
    ✌️
  16. 5N-ADV

5N-ADV n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this.Safe travels.
  17. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  18. mettalique

mettalique Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As another fellow CRF230L rider from across the large pond I’m in:-)
  19. JamesHTrotter

JamesHTrotter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9F311D3A-2D35-4714-A4C6-F3320E1AF4DD.jpeg CF35FA2C-F39B-4440-8D06-B4A5594CEA56.jpeg BCC66180-F0C9-47EC-8F3C-3A63B1827926.jpeg BE2A7921-E854-4231-8299-14BCD1BF6586.jpeg

Made it into Saint Augustine yesterday. A beautiful day of riding, as spring is in full bloom here in the south. Winter was still lingering when I left New York. This is the furthest south I will go before heading west.
    Aside from a brief ride on I95, have been following these beautiful twisty backroads all the way from Charleston, SC. Left before sunrise, and was met with a bone chilling cold morning. Stopped to thaw out and eat a bowl of uncooked oats while the sun slowly rose over the trees.
    Continued the rest of the day gradually removing layers. A full day of riding, but a real blessing for the opportunity.

Many years ago, while backpacking through Shenandoah National Park, I asked a woman to take my photograph. I had explained that I normally don’t prefer photographs with myself, and especially with such naturally beauty all around. She mentioned that from her experience, people seem to be more interested in pictures that have people in them. That being said, let me put myself into this picture. And so before we really dive into this ride report here is a bit about myself and the bike.

Matthew:
    Yes, my mother named me Matthew at birth. James Trotter, the name on this forum, is a literary reference. All of my life has brought me to this, where I currently sit at the kitchen table of two people I met for the first time yesterday; who have lovingly taken me into their home, brought me dinner, and left me here with their dog and laundry machine.
    I have always been attracted to monastic life. As a child I have a memory of meeting two Franciscan monks, and saying to myself “I understand those guys.” Fast forward to college, where my senior year I moved out of my apartment and lived jumping around from couch to couch, sleeping in my car on occasion, and nomading around when I could. My superlative upon graduation was “most likely to never be seen again”. Maybe they saw something that I didn’t, but in the years to follow I would dive headlong into a monastic existence, just short of solemn vows and the cloister.
    It is not that I live as a renounciant, but rather that I am content with little. I do not have a bed, I sleep on the floor. I eat once a day (mostly), no music, no movies, just prayer and fasting. My mother and I joke that my skills are an ability to sleep anywhere, fasting, and patience. I think we took that from Sidhartha. Perfect for traversing the country on a small displacement motorcycle with not much of a budget to do so. I do not own much more than I have with me on the bike.
    This is not my first long distance tour on a small bore motorcycle, having done 5k miles on a 250 nighthawk a few years back. Travel this way just makes sense. I like to tell people I am into it for the economy, not the cool factor, and if I wanted to go fast I would have taken a car.

Like so many ride reports, I have left a job, family, and a girlfriend (which has been a recent shock to my decade of celibacy). Only a little money in my budget, heading to Utah. Maybe that’s enough of my story for now.

The bike:
    I had an XL185s from 1981 that would not be happy about this trek, so I sold it. The CRF230L is from 2008. Simple, carbureted , air-cooled, single. Great on gas, easy and cheap to maintain, super reliable Honda. It came from forum member, who gave me a great deal on it (thanks OBD!!!).
    Before leaving, my dear friend and brilliant mechanic Armen took some time to prepare the bike with me. We spent several evenings in his mid-town Manhattan garage, sharing stories and wrenching.
    For the CRF230L/M folks, we a running the 230M gearing rather than the L. 118 main jet, 35 pilot. Rest of the bike is stock. Including the luggage rack, but I don’t have much luggage. Running Shinko 705’s. The folks at BajaWorx hooked me up with a demo model of their CRF250 windscreen (which has been a real treat!) saving my chest from bugs and wind.
    Small saddlebags (Wolfman Daytripper) which I picked up a few years back on last road trip. And a 12L tailbag from AlmsNYC - a local two person operation in Brooklyn.
    Personal items are limited to camping gear (just a foam mat, sleeping bag and tarp), food (giant bag of oats, no cooking gear), and minimal clothing.
    Will post picture of the bike and it’s details later today. For now, laundry and then going swimming in the Atlantic.

Thanks for joining me on this adventure.
  20. SR56

SR56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    JamesHTrotter just passed through Pensacola, FL...what a great guy, always good to meet a fellow "mighty" 230L owner and good people like him restore my faith in humankind :-).