Cross Country on a $50 bike: NY-SF and back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XS500RUS, Jul 24, 2008.

1. mapleleafalumnus

mapleleafalumnus Demigod

Oddometer:
    Well said, Opie :super
  2. Daryl_Stamp

Daryl_Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got some stuff in Newark (about an 90 minutes NE of Ithaca) that might be interesting for you regarding an application of both. PM me if you want to take a look.

DLS
  3. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :deal That's sig material right there, Opie. :nod
  4. mtbspeedfreak

mtbspeedfreak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for putting together such an awesome ride report! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I stayed up well past my usual bedtime and stumbled into work for a few days, but now I'm through it. I enjoyed seeing your mid-ride engine tear-down. Its awesome to think that people still exist who are able AND willing to perform such major surgery thousands of miles outside of their comfort zone!

Keep it real dudes!
  5. D-Mac

D-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I somehow missed this report the first time around. On a recent trip with some other ADV guys we got to talking about our ride reports, and this one kept coming up. I can see why! :clap :clap

I picked up a '70 CL350 a few weeks go as a 'fix and ride' project. Once I manage to get her running beyond the driveway (no where near that point yet:D ), maybe I'll take her to the next town.....then to the lake.....and then.....? Who knows?

AMAZING REPORT!
  6. Vuldub

Vuldub Bikini Tag Removal Expert

Oddometer:
    I know it rather late to be commenting on your trip LAST year, but I just read it and it was thoroughly enjoying. I would like to point out some observations that I had while reading:

1) There were no complaints about seat comfort. WTF, read any cruiser forum and it’s riddled with old guys (I’m old so I can say that) comparing gel vs air cushions and “how far can you go in your saddle”. Not one complaint from you guys on stock numbing seats. Wow. :thumb
    2) No moaning about helmet buffeting. No windscreen all the way. Cool.:yikes
    3) You rode, ate and slept together, five guys, for 40 days. And are still friends. Double wow. :fight

I never paid close attention, but did you avoid the interstates (big tarmac)?:confused
  7. xroad

xroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think their asses beat up the seats so much that they became unusable after the trip. These guys are are tough and my heroes. They qualify to get the MacGyver Award.
  8. janprimus

janprimus Semiglorious nOOb

Oddometer:
    Yeah, then you can have the camera crew and a support van to carry all your extraneous crap around for you...
  9. CMS

CMS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BRAVO :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :ricky :super :super :super :super :super :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap CMS
  10. XS500RUS

XS500RUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, some of the guys' seats sucked, they adapted in various ways (I believe brandon sat on his backpack at some point), Vanya redid his seat by adding more foam and recovering it. My XS500 with stock foam is surprisingly plush, perhaps even too soft as the miles wear on. Keep in mind that we took breaks every 50 miles or so just to stretch, take a piss, etc. Also, we had many days where we rode fewer than 300 miles. There were a couple of 400+ days, but those were few in number.
    I think excessive helmet buffeting arises because of windscreens that cause turbulent air to hit you in the face. We cruised at 60-65mph for the most part, so not having wind protection wasn't THAT bad.

Yeah, there were definitely a few tense moments between one or a few of the guys at a time, a few times on the trip it felt like I was on Survivor, forming allies and making enemies, but all I had to do was step back and look at the bigger picture: it's the trip of a lifetime, why let petty bullshit ruin it?

Yes, we hardly rode any interstate at all. To be honest, some parts of Illinois and Ohio would make sense for slabbing, taking roads through the ghettos of Chicago, Gary, Dayton, and Cleveland was tedious and took a lot of time. It was interesting just how similar some parts of the US are to third world nations.
  11. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great RR. I really miss the old bikes. My first street bike was a Honda 175 scrambler and then in 1979 (I was 19) I bought a new CM400T, I loved that little bike, the miles and freedom on that thing were magical. Now I'm older and have a FXDWG, but still miss the old bikes.
    Thanks again, Bob
  12. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    how did I miss this one

way cool

:thumb
  13. ttflyer

ttflyer n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedules to share this. Enjoyed every minute.
  14. tundrawolf

tundrawolf Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer:
    How were the camp stoves? I've found that they are very metallic, and hard to chew, and even harder to swallow. Funny tasting, even.

:D
  15. tundrawolf

tundrawolf Desert Rat V Star

Oddometer:
    I LOVE that magazine! You write for it? How cool is that? :deal
  16. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap

I've spent the last couple of hours (Ok...3) while my son is having his afternoon nap reading this RR. AWESOME! I know its been over a year since its been completed, but THANK YOU for sharing.

Please post reports of your next rides..

Now I'm shopping for another Vintage Machine....you've all inspired me!
  17. 2slow

2slow Road toad

Oddometer:
    Wonderful ride report! Hope your crew finds a way to get together for an anniversary ride. Now that you have a fan base there should be lots of support along the way.
  18. JoSquid

JoSquid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, apparantly the next generation is ready and willing to ride, ride far and work on their own machines. Items that make us ol' riders proud.
    Great trip, enjoyed the photos as well as the write up.
    Also, good luck in your futures, so god willing, you can ride another trip!
    Patrick
  19. BusinessSocks

BusinessSocks A real Trucker Cap

Oddometer:
    Absolutely awesome.
  20. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    x2 :lol3