Cross Country on a $50 bike: NY-SF and back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XS500RUS, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Seca750RUS

Seca750RUS Touring minimalist

Oddometer:
    The tentative departure date for our next Cross Country trip is June 1, 2011.:deal
    Stay tuned...

Vanya
  2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    That's funny, I'm departing right around then too to head across the country and up to Alaska...

--mark
  3. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great Ride report and I thoroughly enjoyed it as a new rider, though much older than you.

Those "bad" neighborhoods are not nearly as dangerous as you might think. I ride through them on my bicycle, alone, on a daily basis and nearly half the year the commute is after dark. A pack of "bikers" would attract plenty of positive attention but would be unlikely to have any problems. On a bicycle I much prefer the traffic in the bad neighborhoods to the more aggressive drivers in the suburbs.

However I can understand why the riders did not enjoy the state much, given the weather, route and homesickness. Though there are plenty of great routes and scenery in the state I hope to explore by motorcycle in the coming years.

Really enjoyed the report and it gives me great motivation to make some trips myself.

Craig
  4. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Glad you make it through safely.

I lived in Cleveland for 11 years. These days, it's a nice place to visit, but I'm happier elsewhere.
  5. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    2011, man that's some long range planning! I'm still figuring out what I'm doing in 2010.
    I already have a plane ticket to go back to Seattle , so I can ride the '81 XV920rh to Westfest. I don't know if you caught the RR . It's titled Skeedadle to Seattle. My version of an old bike cross-country run.
    Ride fast and be dangerous.
  6. IDridder

IDridder n00b

Oddometer:
    you guys probly dont remember but my dad and wife and I camped next to your group at bryce canyon my wife and i were ridding a brown 1985 goldwing , and dad was ridding a blue kawaski concurse. anyway it was great meeting you guys then , and it was great reading your RR :clap :wings
  7. Seca750RUS

Seca750RUS Touring minimalist

Oddometer:
    Of course we remember! We were about to give your dad's Kawi a jump start, until someone noticed that the bike was in gear...:lol3
    It was awesome to meet other touring motorcyclists along the way and share the experience. I am amazed how efficiently forums like AdVRider connect riders across the country...
    See you on the road :norton

Vanya
  8. donny662

donny662 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read page 1 to THE END on page 22 in one sitting.

:clap :clap x 1000

Thanks so much for sharing.

(and thanks to the person who bumped this to the top)
  9. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read this whole thread though I can't remember now how I came accross it.

Great story. I take exception to those who branded these guys with more balls than brains. They planned meticulously and brought a good mechanic along who checked and maintained the bikes everyday. Heck the guy even kept track of the mileage of each bike.

Last we heard, this intrepid band of adventure riders were back in grad school, college, working etc.

The big question is after a year and a half...

WHERE ARE THEY NOW????
  10. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know Grisha and Vanya are still in school. And planning more trips.

--mark
  11. XS500RUS

XS500RUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's funny that this thread just got bumped, I'm leaving tomorrow for PA to visit Vanya! My yet to be toured on KLR650 is packed and ready:clap the route is a healthy mix of twisty back roads and fire roads. From State College, we're going to head into the nearby state forest to camp out for the night. I'm going to do a proper ride report on it, might just post it in this thread.

As for bigger rides in the works, we're planning a cross country on cheap bikes Part II for the summer of 2011. Similar route to before but farther North (into Canada around the Great Lakes maybe) on the return trip to avoid Ohio's ghettos. This time it'll be me, Vanya, and some of my friends who will be graduating from Cornell. I'll be taking my spiffy GS1000, the XS500 has earned its stripes and is undergoing a mild restoration. I will be taking the XS500 up to the Bennington Triumph Bash this June in Vermont. Vanya will stick with the Seca, my friends have a SV650N and a CB650SC, the third is still in the learning phase and has not purchased a bike yet. Barring the SV650, all of the listed bikes have been purchased for $1000 or less.

As you might have noticed, none of the listed bikes have a kickstarter. Whether or not this will be an issue is still in the air. Hopefully my third friend will buy an older kickstart equipped steed.:lol3

There was a '5-5-5' in a recent issue of Cycle World; they took completely bombed out and neglected bikes that had a purchase price cap of $500, 500cc, and pre-1975 and rode them for some decent distance. Needless to say, the bikes looked awful, broke down, and the editors made themselves out to look like total heroes limping around on these slapped together junkyard specials.

Take a look at Brandon's 1974 TX500: purchased for $50 with a spare engine, it took maybe $300 in parts to make it mechanically and cosmetically sound, and it made it across the US and back (almost 9000 miles) with little drama (ok, maybe a little :lol3 ). Needless to day, I didn't think much of that Cycle World article.
  12. PrtclMn001

PrtclMn001 Custom User Title

Oddometer:
    I will definitely be subscribed to both upcoming threads, sir
  13. cousinbob

cousinbob just one more....

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Cycle World article. When I first saw it I thought it was and had to be about this epic ride. Disapointed they apparently missed it. Probably another good reason I do not subscribe anymore to CW. Peter Eagan is the only thing they have going.
  14. XS500RUS

Oddometer:
    You can say that again. Him and Kevin Cameron are what are holding that magazine afloat. Mr. Egan's writings (Leanings 1 and 2) were a huge inspiration when I just started riding/fixing bikes, I still reread both books regularly, I must have read some columns and features over 5 times.
  15. mac66

mac66 Quasi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear things are going well and that you are still riding. When you do your next big adventure, let us know before hand and I am sure some of us will have good advice on where to go and do around the Great Lakes.
  16. mapleleafalumnus

mapleleafalumnus Demigod

Oddometer:
    YEAH BABY! Us trolls (noun: someone who lives under the Mackinaw bridge) will certainly help any way we can out of respect for your previous epic odyssey! :super
  17. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    You will enjoy that KLR 650. What a great bike.
  18. XS500RUS

Oddometer:
    Heading out!

[​IMG]

Looks like it's gonna rain on the way there, and the temperature is going to drop to freezing on the way back:cry I got all my warm/rain gear ready, but my old hiking boots (read: riding boots) leak like a sieve. Definitely going to buy riding specific boots when I return.
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Grisha -- have fun!

--mark
  20. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this RR last night and finished it today. What an Awesome story:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

As much as I'd like to have the newest and best bike out there, this story reinforces what I've always believed: It's not the bike, its the rider and the ride that counts. I'd rather ride a scenic, twisty mountain road on an old CB350 than ride through heavy traffic in suburbia on a 30K limited edition Ducati or MV Augusta.

I'm also envious of you're mecanical skills. I have no natural mechanical ability but I've been working on it. You've inspired me to work a little harder, it's never to late to learn:gerg

Looking forward to reading more of your reports.:thumb