1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Cross Country on a $50 bike: NY-SF and back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by XS500RUS, Jul 24, 2008.

1. piratehood

piratehood Trail rider, dual sport

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Awesome Trip
  2. XS500RUS

XS500RUS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I figured I'd post this RR within the cross country thread as a way for more people to discover the original thread, and for the folks who were interested in our other ride reports to have an easy way to find them.

I'll post a full write up once I get Vanya's share of the photos (he's driving up this evening) but in the mean time, I thought I'd throw out a little teaser.

[​IMG]
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Great horn....

:lurk
  4. XS500RUS

Oddometer:
    Ok, I got all the pics, so here we go.

I've been wrenching on the KLR ever since I bought it last September, doing a lot of the popular mods (doohickey, thermobob, carb breather mod, adjusted pilot screw, maintenance stuff). I had just washed and waxed it <insert polishing a turd jokes here :lol3> a week before the trip, and it was ready to go. I packed fairly light, just the factory Kawasaki tank and tailbags. I knew it was going to be cold and my sleeping bag sucks, so I took two bags, along with a lot of warm clothes, my surplus sleeping pad, and some camping essentials (light, lighter, spoon/fork/knife whatchamacallit). Vanya was going to bring the tent, pocket saw, mini stove, and we both brought some food for dinner and breakfast.

With rain in the forecast for Thursday, I made a last ditch effort to waterproof my luggage by spraying it with an aerosol can waterproofing spray. I'm not sure if it actually did anything besides stinking up the garage.

[​IMG]

In the morning, I cooked up a filling breakfast and waited until 10 before heading out.

[​IMG]

Brandon stopped by on his just-serviced TX500 (timing and valve adjustment fixed a non-running cylinder). It was about 40F in the morning, I pulled over to put on my glove liners and rain pants.

[​IMG]

My planned route took me deep into rural NY, down unpaved country roads. It was cloudy so all of the pictures look gloomy and dull, add to that my mediocre skills as a photographer and you end up with boring pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By 12:30 I was at the Wellsboro Diner in Wellsboro PA, Vanya and I had agreed to meet up there at 2pm. Since I got there early and I was hungry, I went ahead and ordered food. The chili cheeseburger was excellent, I highly recommend the Wellsboro Diner. Sorry, no pics of it, I feel like a total goof taking photos of my plate in a crowded diner.:lol3

Vanya showed up right on schedule, we made a quick run into the local BiLo grocery store and got pork chops for dinner. We soon found ourselves on the twisty Route 144, heading South. We took some logging road detours, these are a lot of fun to ride, but as you&#8217;ll see later the parts of 144 we bypassed are even more fun to ride than the dirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We filled up in Renovo, the Seca got 47mpg, the KLR got 55. Heading through town, we found ourselves going about 45mph in a 35 zone (no houses or people close by, no side streets). All of a sudden a black and white crown vic pulls out from the one small street we passed. I quickly decelerate to 35 but Vanya keeps on going. Nothing comes of this, but I don&#8217;t regret slowing down.

[​IMG]

We get to a section of 144 that&#8217;s being worked on, there are strange localized frost heave/potholes that form over the winter, big enough to through you off the bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wait for a while, then decide to make use of the forest service road detour. More fun gravel riding ensues. We eventually come up on some crossroads, there&#8217;s no way we&#8217;re going straight ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good thing, because we don&#8217;t&#8217; have to. We go right and end up back on 144, neatly bypassing the construction zone. We take a break at the Two Rock Run overlook, Vanya finishes off the last of his McD&#8217;s lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

144 turns into a fast flowing, wide road with good, smooth pavement. Vanya turns it up a notch, we&#8217;re running about 75mph here. The KLR complies, but there is a fair bit of vibration at this speed, I&#8217;d love to take my GS1000 here and open it up. There are absolutely no people around here, just tree farms.

We reach Moshannon, and are surprised to see a strip club out in the middle of nowhere. But realizing just how popular this area is with hunters/snowmobilers/ATV riders it makes sense, I mean, sitting up in a deer stand all day, you get a little lonely, right?

[​IMG]

We take the gravel road out of town, and then switch over to a ATV trail, which is really an abandoned railroad converted for recreational use. We soon find ourselves at the mouth of a tunnel, and decide on what to do.

[​IMG]

We&#8217;re not sure how deep the water gets, we estimate no deeper than 2 feet. Vanya said he&#8217;s seen ATVs come through it no problem, so why would it be a problem? Seeing as I&#8217;m on a dual sport, I&#8217;d be a total wuss to turn around, especially if Vanya&#8217;s willing to go through on his Seca.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A pair of soaked boots later we&#8217;re across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We reach a huge bridge that spans Moshannon Creek and decide on where to camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see I-86 from here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There&#8217;s an ATV trail that leads down to the water, unfortunately it&#8217;s on private property. It&#8217;s pretty much the only game in town in terms of getting down to the creek so we go down it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stealthily position our tent under a huge fir, it served as an excellent canopy, keeping us totally dry even though there was a steady rain falling ever since we got past the tunnel. I make a fire under the tree and let it burn down to coals. Believe it or not we still have the pork rub seasoning that we bought in Salina KS on our cross country trip, the pork chops taste great. Vanya also brought some left over spaghetti, and we open up a can of three bean salad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After dinner I direct my attention to getting my boots dry, I&#8217;d be miserable riding in freezing temperatures the next day with wet feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wrap up the evening with some tea and brownies that Vanya made. Right as we get to the tent the tree has become saturated with water and starts letting drops of rain through.
  5. mapleleafalumnus

mapleleafalumnus Demigod

Oddometer:
    Dinner looked good!

:pot
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    :thumb +100

Good to see youth put to such a great use.

:thumb :thumb

Cut my teeth in motorcycle engine repair in the late '70's helping a buddy piece his XS500 back together after cylinder head cracking. Great to see another generation being educated by the same questionable metalurgy and engineering.

:thumb :thumb

Ride on, young dudes!
  7. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm Guilty as... Gs BMW over 16thousand in repairs now a new Buell that's a Pile of shit! Was built Faulty and they won't replace it. I can only sit in my empty shed and recall that old Cx 500 Honda that my little boy and I toured It wheels off. He learnt to ride on that Bike. Nearly 38 thousand dollars latter... an empty shed! When I get through the court case and get my money back off Harley ... yeah right they don't give a rats! I'm off to buy 34x $50 Dollar Bikes. Top story brings tears I ll go find some old photos of the old Cx and ... cry... sniff... BIGJim.:webers !! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  8. wandererjim5

wandererjim5 CornerGrinner

Oddometer:
    carry your old Bread Plastic Bags and put over your Boots wet...it works and is free! Gloves too. Cheers BIGJim from Tasmania working in Kalgoorlie W.A.
  9. mpanther

mpanther KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer:
    FYI,
    there are some guys over at ChopperCharles CX/GL site making some ADV/dual sport rides out of them.
    Myself included.
    (though mine is just pieces so far.)
    http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/
    http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/69022/ShowPost.aspx

I might even have my GL650swi conversion to GL650gs done by the time you get your case closed.

If you want to know more, PM me.
  10. rglmtz

rglmtz n00b

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread and spent the last few days reading it. Great read. At one time it was my dream to ride my 1982 Honda VS45 Sabre cross-country and back. It wasn't a $50 bike, but it was a $250 bike. I nursed it back to health and it was a blast to ride except for the 1 fatal and incurable flaw and that was the rear suspension. For you young guys probably wouldn't have been a problem, but it became obvious my 58-year old back would not hold up on a long ride on that bike and I sold it.

[​IMG]
  11. LashLarue

LashLarue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those pork chops next to the river look tasty but I keep thinking what an excellent place to catch a few fish for grilling. There are ways to pack a very light fishing gear (Google hobo fishing). Do you guys like to go fishing?
  12. WildMonkey

WildMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Vanya !
    I am x2 on the "My Employer Curses you.." LoL.. However, reading your RR has helped me pass the time on my current deployment overseas. I found this site shortly after purchasing an '09 Buell XT, and now have a trip planned for June 2011 from Pensacola, FL to Prudhoe Bay, AK ! I sincerly hope our path's cross, because it would be a pleasure & honor to meet you and your whole riding group ! Hope you all keep the "Shiny Side UP and the Greasy Side Down !" for miles of smiles !

Steve.
  13. XS500RUS

Oddometer:
    I'm an enthusiastic beginner when it comes to fishing, I was going to try my hand at fly fishing this spring. You're right, that creek definitely had fish in it, as evidenced by the fisherman I saw getting ready as I was leaving in the morning. I'm going to try packing a spinning rod on the KLR this summer.
  14. tommy salami

tommy salami What the DUECE?

Oddometer:
    You Guy's are doing a great job! Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with everyone. I think it's funny that you are going to detour around L-A-M-E Ohio's "gettos". I completely understand. I was born and raised here, there is a lot to be desired in many parts of the state. Just a suggestion, but like someone else mentioned, "couch surfing" is a great way to travel, and fun to read about! Keep up the great work!
  15. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been using Cortech Solution boots scince a trip to Alaska in '06. I wore the on my cross country trip last )ct.-Nov also. Dry feet have been the rule.
    I also wear them when out boondocking on the KLR. Imerese them in a creek crossing and out with dry feet. That's always a good thing. Priced at under $120.00.
  16. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems like everyone reading this outstanding RR used to have some old UJM. Well, me too; my first scooter was a '83 Yamaha XJ750 Maxim. Hot jetting, open meg exhaust, lots of citations, all the hooligan stuff. I beat the snot out of that cycle and it just kept ticking away.

Tons of old memories reading this stuff. Thanks for posting, guys!

More pics, more pics!!
  17. RonInFla

RonInFla Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report by all you guys . Thanks for sharing , sounds like a great experience.
  18. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    Awesome report, thanx!:clap
  19. deerslayR

deerslayR Spodely Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice Report, Great memories.
  20. rockjohn

rockjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You boy's hit it on the head, Great RR and a better reminder of what this site is all about. I have been sitting on my trusty old 1974 CB 750 to hand over to my son for something like this, I think his time has come. :thumb