Cross country on a clapped out 32 year old bike during a pandemic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oilleaker, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Theyre the large Tusk cases. Relatively cheap, work well enough but definitely an mpg penalty
    Chillis likes this.
  2. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    I do too. She always gets me home, really just a question of how much I’ll have to work for the privilege and how remote a place i’ll get to do it in. But one benefit of old harleys is you can usually find parts even in pretty rural areas
  3. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Careful, thats the same drivetrain as this one so I might use up all the spare parts scattered along the way
    Chillis and Steve H. like this.
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, that seat looks like riding on a real comfy couch. Enjoy your ride.
    Chillis and Oilleaker like this.
  5. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Its pretty damn good, but does push you up a little further than ideal to give the passenger similar luxury. Think its stock off and fxrt or fxrd. Got it years ago, as I horde fxr specific parts when I can find them and never mounted it until my girlfriend started coming along. Can’t believe I rode a lepera cobra to key west when I had that on the shelf but I’ve never claimed to make great decisions
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    5A2B36A5-8D3D-4648-81BB-DBFAE534FDF7.jpeg D9A39CBF-49BE-4969-B22E-DE150B938D03.jpeg Finished out kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois and made it half way through Missouri before the fog started getting heavy and I decided to call it a night.

Finally got blue moon of Kentucky out of my head when the signs for East Saint Louis put Time by Tom Waits in to replace it. Anyone else get geographical songs stuck constantly while traveling?

As is becoming a theme, no good pictures to share but I have some bad ones above for your enjoyment. Met the bird and its owner in Illinois and apparently they’ve been driving that way since California.

The other was an attempt to take a pic of a promising red sky at 80 mph, which doesnt seem to work to well. Nor does sailors delight seem to apply to southern Illinois and Missouri as drizzle and fog began as soon as the sun set. Guess we’re too far inland
  7. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with making a couple stops in a day for pics of scenery, the bike, food, hotel or camp, etc.

Makes a big difference.

Looks like a great trip so far.
    Project Mayhem likes this.
  8. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Good Morning from Kingdom City, MO. Looking to be a wet day. Plan to hit the two Kansas Cities, then head towards Omaha. Nebraska will be the first place on this trip I’ve never been to before so I’m excited to get to “new lands” in the Columbian sense.

Checking over the bike this morning, everything still seems attached although the shifter trying to make another escape attempt. Took a quart of oil, which is a little more than usual for the mileage, but I think the non aero bags and West Virginia hills can account for
  9. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  10. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    The owner of the motel seems to be into muscle on a similar budget to mine, and definitely shares my thoughts on waxing and polishing. The 68 T-bird is for sale at a price guaranteed to let him keep it forever
  11. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    AA22EEF6-4CE4-46DE-B95C-B45EECD5A74D.jpeg Hopefully this stays along for the ride. Have a backup with me from the old forwards controls so not too worried
    flei and TonyKZ1 like this.
  12. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I feel like I’m on this trip with you! Thanks
    Oilleaker likes this.
  13. Comrade Art

Comrade Art Working stiff

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your journey. Keep posting :thumb
    Oilleaker likes this.
  14. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    If anyone heading towards Kansas city on route 70 west, theres a nice flip up 3 snap visor near mile marker 56 you're welcome too
    Jedi2Rider, njmotophoto, flei and 3 others like this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying this. Reminds me of how I toured when I was young. I also am enjoying the "minimalist ride report" with few photos and little verbiage. Following.
    Oilleaker likes this.
  16. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Not sure if I’m allowed to post links, but I’m worthless at taking pictures so might be better with audio impressions of places

Riding through Kansas city, was pretty impressive. When those factories were all running steady that place must of been printing money and giving out jobs to anyone who would take them. Reminds me of Patterson, NJ on a far grander scale
  17. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Decided to make an early day of riding and stay in Omaha for the night and check the place out a bit. Took the cheapest hotel near downtown off priceline. Theres no sweet old cars around this one, but I’ll do what I can to class up the joint
  18. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    7AD4F92B-A7D9-4C41-AB56-ECA6ED764019.jpeg 3937004D-E8C4-4F23-96DB-ADC4F49C0BFC.jpeg
    TonyKZ1 and Ginger Beard like this.
  19. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Nothing too eventful on todays ride through Missouri, Kansas, and Iowa. A few rounds of the mid western classic road trip game “is that a funnel cloud or a factory in the distance?” All seemed to be factories in the end. Several hours of “turn the page” in my head on the long and lonesome highway east of omaha. Doesn’t seem to be any songs about Iowa
    TonyKZ1, EmmEff, nvklr and 2 others like this.
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report! I like your style. In case you're still in Iowa tomorrow, here are a few Iowa songs for you: "Iowa" by Dar Williams, Tom T. Hall's "It Sure Can Get Cold in Des Moines", "The Iowa Song" by Josh Connor, and Slipknot's "Iowa." Thanks for sharing your ride with us!