Cross country on a clapped out 32 year old bike during a pandemic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oilleaker, Sep 9, 2020.

1. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great ride report.
    Oilleaker likes this.
  2. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lots of fun here, keep it coming! Thanks and best of luck!
    Oilleaker likes this.
  3. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I do know Iowa by Slipnkot, but not enough to get it stuck in my head luckily.

Went out on the town tonight in Omaha, and this is a strange town. To begin with the Hilton is somehow $6 cheaper than the best western on priceline. After checking in I decided to do a bit of exploring. At first it seemed to add up that if I was in a hotel I shouldn't be able to afford, it was normal that the bars seemed out of my class. Then I was offered “ ice” by a random guy on the sidewalk who bummed a cigarette but even he couldn’t tell me where the bars for normal people are.

As someone who once bought a 40 of king cobra in exchange for what turned out to be an incredible walking tour of Memphis, I was a little taken back when the local chemical enthusiasts couldn’t direct me to a dive bar.

After a bit of wandering I found the. “Night life district” but it was pretty strange. Had decent steak frites and a julep at one spot, and then four or five double goslings and ginger at another, and a few pbrs at another before giving up and heading back to the hotel. Everyone and every thing in Omaha was very pleasant but it all seemed kind of manufactured.

Every bar, restaurant, or store I saw could have as easily been any where else in the country, and after talking to a couple bartenders learned that the oldest bar in the area opened in the 80’s and the rest were all much newer. I was also assured that the downtown area I was in was basically the only option for nightlife. It feels weird to have spent a night out in a place without gaining any sort of feel for it. I have nothing bad to say about Omaha, but every spot feels almost as if the owners picked a design out of a catalog and built it, without any real local character.

Rant over, I’ll be sober in the morning and heading west
  4. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    This ride report is so “old school” it really makes me smile! The photos will give the photog geeks here at ADV a coronary, lol! Are you using a Nokia 7650? I hope that’s the secret to your technique and that you’re not using some goddamn app to apply some “retro” filter.

Keep it coming!
  6. nicholas11T

nicholas11T n00b

Oddometer:
    Oilleaker, you have an awesome Harley bike, and great ride report. I'm just curious, what exact motorcycle stuff did you take with you for this long trip? I'm trying to get Skully Fenix AR helmet, and trying to understand how good is that. And as mentioned on this site - this helmet is one of the most popular helmets among bikers nowadays.
    Oilleaker likes this.
  7. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Wish I'd known you were headed thru KC, I would have directed you to RJ'S BBQ in Mission, KS.
    Maybe on your way home mark it as a destination, great food.

If you'd give us an idea of your expected route we might be able to point out sights and places not to miss or recommend a GOOD bar.

Good fun to follow along, keep safe.
    TonyKZ1, Project Mayhem and Oilleaker like this.
  8. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d thought just the same as I scrolled through the nighttime photos, and then saw your post... great minds :lol3 It’s a great ride report.

I’m loving this ride report... stay well @Oilleaker, thank you for taking us along on your journey.
    Oilleaker likes this.
  9. Justice Bikes

Justice Bikes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Oilleaker, nice writeup and ride. Having a few oileakers myself I can really appreciate what your doing (having fun), setting out on a trip like we've done here for the last 100 years, run what ya brung. No need for the latest and greatest.

If you get this far north, Central Oregon, on the way to the coast and need anything for your horse drop me a line, I Restore/Rebuild/Repair those things that your riding. Yours is a bit newer then what I usually work on but in your case I'll make an exception.

P.S. If you stop by I'll give you guys some T-Shirts, you'll probably need some clean clothes by then.

Mark
    @Justice Bikes
  10. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Its not the equipments fault, its the photographer. Iphone camera. I just don’t have the patience for good photography and usually don’t bother as the pictures never convey the feeling of the place when I take them.
    Once I get to Vegas, there should be a marked improvement. My girlfriend is a professional photographer and we just picked her a up a fancy little point and shoot for this trip.
    But for the time being your stuck with my photo skills
    In Lincoln Nebraska now heading towards Denver. Havent really decided if Im gonna try to make it there today or stop somewhere before. Planned to do more camping on the trip, but motels are so cheap and desperate for customers right now that its not really worth the hassle to stop riding early enough to find a decent spot.
    Also the current situation makes visiting towns kind of strange so I’m kind of thinking of this whole trip as a scouting mission to decide what areas warrant their own trips in the future
  11. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Not gonna make it that far north this year. Hopefully next year I’ll do a northwest trip as I have friends in portland, seattle, and idaho I’m overdue to visit. Either way appreciate the offer
  12. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Don’t really have an expected route in mind, at least not in any detail. Heading to colorado utah california before I need to get to Vegas for the 25th or 26th to pick up my girlfriend at the airport. Then we want to check out the grand canyon and head to some weird hotel made out of trailers in taos, nm. Then she gets dropped of in albaquerque (sp?) to fly back and I’ll head back to NY
    TonyKZ1 likes this.
  13. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Jamie Z is the keeper of the Tent Space List and is from Denver.
    Bet he knows a good Bar and some must ride routes?
    Oilleaker likes this.
  14. MCGMB

MCGMB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picking up your girl in Vegas and hitting the road?

How can I *not* follow this thread.:thumb
    Jedi2Rider and Oilleaker like this.
  15. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    How is it even possible to take photos that bad with an iPhone! :dunno All you have to do is point it in the general direction of what you want to photograph and touch the little white circle. :photog Your girlfriend must die a little every time she sees one of your pics. :rofl

Truly though, I really am enjoying your photos because they look spontaneous and not like some photo-weenie spent 20" setting the pic up and 60" editing it with Photoshop.

Keep them coming!
  16. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    CBEDBD39-5D5A-4D13-B3F5-3C40F7E2DA9B.jpeg CE25E34F-F0B1-466B-9D7A-E4AF12C46263.jpeg B124529F-BD05-4C63-B13C-8113589459FA.jpeg FA698D9F-A4C6-4C7E-B9B8-AEE5189F6DA7.jpeg 8CB227C2-1105-49CE-948A-9FCCE9FF61C6.jpeg E8F9B7C9-3E16-4B4D-88CB-B5F449A0D7C6.jpeg
    Shes not a huge fan of my photography for sure, especially my portrait work. The keys to my style are a dirty and scratched phone case and very minimal effort. Give it a try. Its easy
  17. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Not too eventful rolling through Nebraska. Its nice scenery but it doesn’t change often. Did almost run out of gas zoning out, but luckily grabbed my fuel bottle from the sportster before leaving.
    On 76 in Colorado now, not having much luck getting the tent space thing to open or using a camping app i downloaded so i’ll keep heading west and see what presents itself
    I also seem to be in an area without many songs I’m familiar with as “bad motor scooter” by montrose played for most of the day
    Philthy64 and MCGMB like this.
  18. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Found a home for the night. Brush municipal campground. Pretty rough looking spot for $20 but I guess I shouln’t have gotten used to the Hilton
    Philthy64 likes this.
  19. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    $20 is $20

Enjoy
    Jedi2Rider, Railrocker and Oilleaker like this.
  20. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying. Can you give us the backstory on the FXR ? Did you put all the miles on it or purchase if for your trip West ?