Cross country on a clapped out 32 year old bike during a pandemic

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Oilleaker, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Oilleaker

Oilleaker Ne’er do well tinkerer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought it 5 years ago with 23k on it and it had been sitting since 1992. Was more or less running but pretty rough. Went to clean the float bowl and the actual aluminum had corroded all the way through and was held together by laquered gas. Was my only bike for most of that time, but now its pretty much just used for long runs and 2 up as I built a sportster bagger for commuting duties

Mechanically its pretty stock other than a mild cam, 2 into 1 pipe, and freer air cleaner, cv carb off a later bike and a slight bump in compression. Suspension is up 4” in front to save the regulator when jumping curbs and is now up 1” in back on sportster take off shocks which just replaced hd progressive 412’s which werent too passenger friendly.
  2. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Holckster was nice enough to suggest some pointa of interest so heading towards manitou springs now. Had thought about visiting some friends in denver but the current situation makes cities kind of weird and don’t want to be a potential typhoid mary on a hog so gonna avoid too much socializing
    Philthy64, Ginger Beard, flei and 2 others like this.
  3. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  4. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Today is the first day I feel like I’m really exploring instead of trying to get somewhere else. Started the morning in Brush, then headed for Garden of the Gods, then hit Pikes Peak. After that tried finding some blm campground thats supposedly outside Penrose but no data out there and no local I could find had ever heard of it so booked it back to Colorado Springs for a motel.

In general the bike seems pretty happy with the altitude, but have developed a few issues. I must have some air in the line on the rear brakes as when I went to descend Pike’s peak I had nothing at all, but once I got back to Manitou Springs they were back to their usual unimpressive selves

It felt a little dicey coming down with just engine braking and front but seems fine, so alls well that ends well. Pikes Peak is definitely worth checking out, but it would probably be easier on the bike if I had done it on a weekday.

Oil useage has gone up a bit, but nothing concerning. Base gaskets and lifter blocks usually just weep a bit but theres a good bit coming now. Will snug things up tomorrow and see what happens but not a big concern as long as i can find an auto parts place with 20-50 every day or two.

Also developed some strange rattle under load. At first thought it was pinging, then started thinking the primary was slapping the chain, but it doesn't change with road speed. Might be an exhaust leak or my latest theory is that the slide on the diaphragm in the carb may be worn enough to rattle. Will try to do some trouble shooting tomorrow.
  5. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  6. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  7. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  8. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Gave everything a once over, seems the carb slide is the likely source of the rattle. Dont think it should affect anything so wont pull the carb apart and cause new problems. Doubt I could get a diaphragm without buying a whole carb anyway and takeoff cv’s arent cheap anymore so it can wait. Also realized my ratchet broke, and I need a 12 point quarter in socket to try to tame the leaks from the lifter blocks so heading to Pueblo to check out harbor freight
  9. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    684BB5BF-BC71-488F-8511-1BC9F43B0B82.jpeg Starting to get the road trip look to her
  10. Hooch Alumni

Hooch Alumni n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Ride report.
    I read it in my "Sam Elliott" voice.
    Keep up the good work.
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  11. Donson

Donson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Birney and Don.png Looks like you will be passing close by my place, just south of Amarillo. I have a grassy spot for a tent, in my back yard, and I ain't afraid of no Covid. I have a shop with two lifts and air, tools, etc in my back yard. You are welcome to sh** shower and shave and use the puter if you need to.
    If you want to check over your bike and see the local sights, PM me and I can ride to the State line and bring you back to my place. I'm a Harley guy and know the local shops and dive bars, etc.
    I'm an old bachelor, so we can sit up late an discuss over cold beers.
    Pic is me and my buddy, the late Birney Jarvis, the real Jim Bronson. Speaking of Long Lonesome Hiways! And a pic of my old 46 Indian.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3966181/bio

Attached Files:

Philthy64, Jedi2Rider, Amphib and 7 others like this.
  12. Donson

Donson Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Camping at Arrowhead tonight so doubt I’ll have data to update. Should get to it tomorrow
    Javelinky likes this.
  14. alyron619

alyron619 n00b

Oddometer:
    Following- this is one of the easiest reading RR’s. Very old school.
  15. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    I
    can live with that as long as its roadhouse sam elliott. I’m no cowboy
    Hooch Alumni likes this.
  16. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    I appreciat
    I appreciate the offer. Not sure of return route yet but I’ll let you know if I’m gonna make it your way
  17. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    I’ll have to check that out when data is less sketchy. Passed through Cripple Creek yesterday morning so stuck with The Band for the day
  18. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Lots of good riding yesterday. Ended up skipping pueblo and taking 24 west out of Colorado Springs to 50 west. Found a good used carb diapragm at a nice little shop in Florrisant, Rocky Mountain Motorsports. Didnt fix the rattle which Im now convinced is a misaligned rocker cover letting in air. Either way shes moving under her own power.
    Philthy64 likes this.
  19. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
  20. Oilleaker

Oddometer:
    Then kept going west on 50 til I saw a picture for camping at Arrowhead. Didn’t know it was going to be a 26 mile loop off pavement but made it out this morning after finally getting out from a traffic jamb. In Lake City now. Not certain where Im heading next exactly but definitely want to get into Utah
    Philthy64 and Jedi2Rider like this.