Cross Country on a RE Himmalayan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Loadtoad101, Jul 20, 2019.

1. gasmoney

gasmoney n00b

Oddometer:
    Those free pants will cut off a few degrees. Thanks for sharing your trip.
  2. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While visiting California I had the opportunity to visit with my sister-in-law. This was the view from her backyard in Laguna Niguel. IMG_20190719_111817578_HDR.jpg
    On the way back to Redlands from Laguna Niguel I rode the famous Ortega Highway. Dangerous road lots of traffic. This is a shot overlooking Lake Elsinore.
    IMG_20190719_130835399_HDR.jpg
    My next leg would take me from Redlands up the Cajon Pass over to Wrightwood California and then on to Tehachapi. It's hard to see but there's a 66 painted on that hill in the center
    IMG_20190721_092817250_HDR.jpg
    Found a shortcut that went from Cajon Boulevard over to highway 2 on the way to Wrightwood, I was looking for an opportunity to ride some dirt. IMG_20190721_094212296_HDR.jpg
    Next shot is on the Big Pines Hwy heading Northwest down to Pearblossom. IMG_20190721_100452881_HDR.jpg
    Stopped overlooking aquaduct that brings water from northern California to southern California IMG_20190721_105451787_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    After crossing through the desert I headed up the back way to Tehachapi and stoped to get a picture of the windmills. IMG_20190721_124352729_HDR.jpg
    Final destination in Tehachapi, Can. IMG_20190721_130600323_HDR.jpg

Attached Files:

wilfred, juno, Little Bike and 6 others like this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    They say Moss can't grow on a rolling stone so tomorrow morning I'm heading down into the Central Valley and then over the Coastal Range to Lompoc California. I'll be camping at Vandenberg Air Force base near the beach, pictures to follow.
  4. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How are you liking the seat on your bike? And what kind of range are you getting on a tank of gas?
    Thanks!
  5. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Enjoying following along. Great pics! One question... How do you get more than 4 pictures attached on one post? I did a trip report earlier this year, but could only attach 4 per post.
  6. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe
    There was a four picture/4MB per post limit (at least for non-paying members) until June, when it went up to 10 pictures (not sure if they changed the size limit; I always try to resize to something reasonable for a screen) per post.

Some people also park their pix on a third party site and just link to them. No limit in that case.
  7. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Thanks. 10 is probably more than I would try to apply to one post, so is plenty for me. I don't know how to re-size. I just upload what ever is. Next is figuring how to get a video attached. :loco
  8. ScottFree

ScottFree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s hard to resize a photo on mobile devices. Fairly easy on a computer: just find a menu item similar to “adjust size” and tell it something like “800 pixels.” On my iPhone I often crop and display the photo, then do a screen grab and post that.

Videos... I’ve always used YouTube.

Anyway, keep up the story! I’m less than a week away from my three day “demo ride” on a Himalayan in Montana!
  9. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Continued my trip from Lompoc up the coast then over to Winnemucca Nevada Jackson Hole Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park and I'm here in Central Kansas on my way back home. Haven't had time to make any more post, when I get home I will catch up with all my Adventures post Tehachapi California.
    juno likes this.
  10. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Hello TC Bronson, sorry I haven't got back to you but I've been so busy on this adventure I haven't been able to post since Tehachapi. The seat has been great I can't imagine making this trip without it. My bottom has not been an issue on this trip, the worst thing is my right wrist and arm holding a throttle for 9 to 10 hours a day. As far as range on my tank today has probably been the worst day for milage the whole trip, had a stiff headwind and on one leg I believe I only got between 30 and 40 miles to the gallon. I had a lot of uphill in a stiff headwind.
  11. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Ride safe!
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    So many memorable place names here. I'm loving it. I too recall some extremely early departures to be in the pool at my next destination with a cold one in hand by lunch.
  13. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    Do you have an "other than stock" seat?
  14. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Yes, a Seat Concepts Tall. I don't think I could have made the trip without it.
    I have finally arrived home and will start finishing the trip report from Tehatchapi on, includes the coast, Lake Tahoe, Jackson Hole, Yellowstone park and more thru Wyoming. Also, my home made crash bars with frwy pegs also was instrumental in making the trip. Yesterday I arrived home after a 409 mile dash from west of St Louis to central Tennessee. My wife asked if I was tired, I said not really. My total trip was about 6500 miles.
    juno, brgsprint, yamalama and 2 others like this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to reading about your trip! Thanks.
  16. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    What a great ride! I have a Himalayan as well so I am very interested in your experiences with the bike on this trip. Thank you for posting about your ride!
  17. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    After arriving back home in Tennesse, taking care of all my yard work that had gone to hell it's time to continue my thread. Here are a couple of maps that outline my route to Tehatchapi so far. Home to Valley of the Gods..PNG
    Valley of Gods to Tehatchapi.PNG
    wilfred and Thinwater like this.
  18. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    After a short visit with my brother in Tehatchapi, I continued my trip. The main route from Tehatchapi to the valley is down Hwy 58 which in its own right is a scenic road, but I wanted to get some more offroad. Comanche Point road drops down from the hills via a steep, switchback road that offers great views of the Central Valley of California.
    Comanache point road.PNG
    KIMG0123.JPG KIMG0124.JPG KIMG0127.JPG KIMG0129.JPG
    At the bottom of the hill, you are met with the bounty of the central valley. It started with grape vineyards but as I crossed the valley for 50 miles all I saw was field after field of crops. Fruit and vegetables of all kinds. It was harvest season and the roads were lined with the cars of the workers in the fields bringing in the crops. Its labor-intensive and without all the workers, there's no way the crops could be harvested.
    KIMG0131.JPG KIMG0132.JPG
    wilfred, td63, Amphib and 5 others like this.
  19. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    It was 44 miles across the valley to Maricopa, Ca. I was amazed by all the crops being grown.
    to vandi.PNG
    After leaving Maricopa I started the climb up the hill and saw the entrance to the Carrizo Plain National Monument. This from the Gov't website: "Three hundred years ago, California’s Central Valley was vast grassland where antelope and elk grazed and wildflowers swept the spring landscape. Today, amid urban and agriculture development, a remnant remains in the Carrizo Plain National Monument." The first picture is looking East over the Central Valley.
    KIMG0133.JPG KIMG0134.JPG
    resize 1.jpg
    wilfred, Amphib, juno and 3 others like this.
  20. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    I arrived at the Fam Camp (military lingo for a campground on a military installation) on Vandenburg AFB and set up camp. A couple that had been there a while told me that the mornings are foggy and that my tent would be covered in dew. I decided to move the tent over to under the shelter. Ha, woke up the next morning and the day was dry and warm!
    KIMG0140_01.JPG I could not believe the numbers of ground squirrels! Thousands of them all around, this place needed some coyotes for thinning the heard! Oh, I did see one on the base, and it was a big healthy one. I left the next morning and started up the coast. The area around Santa Maria is berry growing country. Thousands of acres of berries of all kinds. This machine is used during the harvest. It slowly moves down the rows, the large arms sticking out are conveyor belts that move the filled boxes to the center where they are stacked until offloaded. KIMG0141.JPG
    I finally hit the coast and was met by the beautiful blue waters of the Pacific.
    KIMG0144.JPG
    Pacific ocean 1.jpg
    wilfred, td63, Amphib and 6 others like this.