Cross Country on a RE Himmalayan

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Loadtoad101, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the Teton Mountain Range, made quite an impression on me when I saw them 54 years ago, and they still do impress.
    2019_0730_090513_002.JPG
    2019_0730_090534_001.JPG
    td63, 2mstone, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  2. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Here's what I experienced in the park. Very beautiful but lots of crowds. Try and go after school is back in session.
    2019_0730_103554_002.JPG 2019_0730_111717_001.JPG 2019_0730_112146_001.JPG 2019_0730_112200_002.JPG 2019_0730_115444_001.JPG 2019_0730_115456_002.JPG
    td63, 2mstone, Amphib and 1 other person like this.
  3. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    More pictures:
    KIMG0240_01.JPG KIMG0241.JPG KIMG0245_01.JPG KIMG0249.JPG Leaving the park at the East Entrance

KIMG0250.JPG
    wilfred, td63, 2mstone and 4 others like this.
  4. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Go over to the Himalayan Owners site and you can read all about it. I have a lot of posts on that thread. Really, you need to read that thread to get an idea about the Himma. All I can tell you, it has taken me 14,000 miles around the country. Lots of dirt roads, streams, rocks you name it.
  5. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    After leaving the park I headed for my next stop, Grass Creek Ranch just outside of Thermopolis, Wy. I had a fabulous stay there, I was the only guest that night and I had the place to myself. Steve the owner came and visited with me in the big Cookhouse and we shared some whiskey and I told him all about my trip. Sitting in the corner was a 5 ft tall wooden Indian that he told me he could source back to 1906 when it belonged to the great grandfather of Gerald Ford. He also told me his brother had been the manager of the Jackson Hole airport for many years and retired from there. When he first started the place was a backwater. Then all the celebs and money people started buying up all the property. Here is their website. I highly recommend a stay there. http://www.grasscreekranch.com/
  6. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have read the entire site.

Just wondering if your Hima uses oil at extended highway speeds, such as on this trip?
  7. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    When I left the Grass Creek Ranch I proceeded to Cheyenne Motorsports in Cheyenne, Wy to get a new chain put on. One of the most unusual and interesting legs of this trip was going through the Wind River Indian Reservation and traveling along the Lower Wind River. I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures, I did take videos but can't post here. That will have to wait until I get my you-tube video done. While riding south through this canyon you have a distinct feeling that you are going downhill, but when you look to your right and see the river you can't believe what you see. The river is flowing uphill! This goes on for miles, all your senses tell you that you are going downhill but the proof you are not is the river right next to you proving you wrong. https://windriver.org/experience/driving-tours/wind-river-canyon/
    I arrived at the motorcycle shop and they pulled out a bike master 525 O ring chain and proceeded to put it on. About an hour later they present me with the bill! $272, I was happy that I got a new chain put on but I thought they took advantage of me. The chain sells for about $80 but they charged me $120, then $120 labor, $12.50 shop fees? and tax. I could have kicked myself for not buying the chain at Chapperell when I was there and I could have done it myself in Tehatchapi at my brother's house. Moral of the story, the stock chain is toast after 10,000, I went to about 13,000. Don't leave on a long trip with a worn chain. Mine had about 8000 when I left. I did faithfully clean and lube the thing.
    wilfred, TaZ9 and iatethepeach like this.
  8. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    yes, it will drink the oil at high speeds. I did an oil and filter change before I left in central TN, in Tuba, AZ I had to add oil. In Tehatchapi I also did an oil and filter change, in WY I had to top off again. I again added oil just outside of St Louis. For you folks doing a long trip, keep a close eye on the oil level, it will bite you in the ass if you don't.
    wilfred likes this.
  9. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your comments. Getting personal input from those with first-hand, real world experience is the best resource we have.

Ride safe,

TaZ9
    wilfred likes this.
  10. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    After leaving Cheyenne I decided to make a beeline for home. The weather was looking pretty good so I wanted to take advantage of it. I didn't find anything of interest on the way home except for my stay in Smith Center, KS. Just outside of town I stopped and read a plaque.
    Historical marker.jpg
    I forgot to add a picture I took in Cheyenne, WY. I stayed that night at the Fam Camp at the F.E. Warren AFB. Obviously the local habitat feels it's pretty safe to hang around. These guys were just chilling out on the grounds.
    KIMG0252.JPG KIMG0253.JPG
    These guys were all over the base.
  11. CCitis

CCitis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying this. Safe and Enjoyable travels!
    TCBronson likes this.
  12. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Some final stats and thoughts about the trip. Total time traveling on the bike was 18 days, total mileage was between 6000-6500 miles. I never had a flat. I did carry front and back tubes, spoons and an air compressor. Camped and stayed in motels and AirBnB's. Cheapest night in a motel, $35 bucks in Missouri, Highest price was $99 at Holiday Motel in Winnemucca, NV. Most uncomfortable accommodation was the AirBnB called the Cave in Mancos, CO. The best place I stayed at was the Grass Valley Ranch south of Cody, WY. The coolest thing I saw was the water flowing uphill in the Wind River Canyon. :loco The biggest rip off was the Alpine Stars Asama gloves I bought in Durango, CO that only lasted 3 days. I did contact the company and they are giving me a refund, thank you Alpine Stars. Failures: Chain, having credit card skimmed, Scorpian helmet chin bar release tab breaking. How did the bike do? For all the doubters out there, yes a 25 hp dual-sport can cross the country and do it well. Can it keep the speed up on an uphill grade and against the wind, no! Can it get you to where you need to go and deliver a heap of fun, yes with the proper setup. Would I do it again? Probably not. Next time I might just haul it to the good spots in the truck and ride the local areas a little more. Having a camper shell or a cargo trailer set up for camping would be a whole lot more convenient. Setting up and taking down a campsite gets old after awhile.
    TCBronson, wilfred, MYUMPH and 3 others like this.
  13. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    As to skimming cards....Mine was skimmed on my trip out west ( I think in Utah) and on my last rode day (coming through Tennessee) someone charged over $3,000 at Carowinds and the surrounding area.
  14. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Loadtoad101...... Would I do it again? Probably not. Next time I might just haul it to the good spots in the truck and ride the local areas a little more. Having a camper shell or a cargo trailer set up for camping would be a whole lot more convenient. Setting up and taking down a campsite gets old after awhile.[/QUOTE]

Not again? Is the bike a factor? Or is it the “camping set-up/take-down” tedium?
  16. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Not again? Is the bike a factor? Or is it the “camping set-up/take-down” tedium?[/QUOTE]

Both. It's 3 long days of riding to get to Colorado on the Himma from my house. The bike is underpowered that is a fact. Can you do it? Yes but it's a long slog across the plains to get there. You are WOT most of the time. The bike can handle it but it is stressful. At the end of that kind of day you are dirty, tired and exhausted. Also, when you have a long day of riding to get somewhere it's critical that you get an early start. It's time-consuming to tear down a camp and get the bike fully packed and tied down to start the day. Having a camper shell or trailer that you can just climb out of and start the day would be so much more convenient. Also, where to camp is not an issue. You can just about stop anywhere with that type of set up. When riding the bike to your destination you need to think a lot more about where you are going to stay. If you can handle stealth camping, fine but I need someplace with a toilet!:kat
    Camper shell or trailer, a chemical toilet is no problem to carry along. Time-saving and convenience are my biggest reasons to do it another way.
    TCBronson and wilfred like this.
  17. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went on a 6500 mile trip a few years ago on my NC700X. Complaints on that forum about chain failure around the 10k mile mark. I replaced the chain and sprockets before I left. Another 14K on the new chain and doing fine. I also carried wheel bearings, fork seals and spare cables, just in case.
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  18. TCBronson

TCBronson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome report! Glad you made the round trip safely! I'm glad the bike did well for you! I am still thinking about getting one and read your ride report with great interest. Thank you for doing it!
    Loadtoad101 likes this.
  19. Loadtoad101

Oddometer:
    Part 1 video of the trip, only goes to Tehachapi. Enjoy.
    staticPort likes this.