Cross country on the dual sportster

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Aiden, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Aiden

Aiden Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 6, ~280 miles

My perfect campsite turned a bit stressful when I was woken up by a dog barking around 4 AM. This went on for about an hour, and it sounded like the dog was moving around the lake, coming closer to my tent. I wasn't thrilled about the idea of a territorial dog on the loose, but luckily I never saw it.

I slept in a bit after the barking stopped and got to see a sunrise over the lake.
    IMG_4417.jpeg

This was a pretty quick day, and I got into Denver a little after noon. I unpacked, took a nap, and was treated to beer & homemade pizza by the friends I'm staying with.

I'm here until Saturday, then I'm headed off to LA.
  2. wvpc1

wvpc1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aiden,
    I am with you in spirit on your ride to LA. There is nothing better than smelling that Pacific ocean 10 miles out after riding across the country. Good luck to you. You are taking me back to 1976 when I made it to CA from Michigan. Ah, youth.
    xcsks, Aiden, Critic and 2 others like this.
  3. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I have not been west on highways for many years, but back then scenic US50 was like with no one on it and no radar! You can make real good time. I remember crossing NV on R75/7 with my GF at 85mph, when a RS passed me; just like I was standing still.

Victor 441, oh boy!
    Aiden likes this.
  4. MrBob

MrBob On a whim Supporter

Oddometer:
    From Denver, go north toward Fort Collins and find Ryst Canyon Rd. Ride that to the Poudre Canyon. Ride through the canyon (thrilling to the beauty) to Walden. Choose a route to the west and Steamboat Springs. Might get a little chilly at high elevations. You're welcome.
    olderigetfasteriam likes this.
  5. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on Hwy. 50, especially the part across Nevada.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_50
    Critic likes this.
  6. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for letting us follow your trip! And as they always say around here, it's not truly and adventure until something goes wrong! :jack:jack

I will also second the US 50 route out to California! From Denver, if you take US 285 south to US 50, you'll get to ride through South Park, CO. Very beautiful place.
  7. Aiden

Aiden Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the comments—I was already gone and missed most of them, so I ended up taking a pretty direct route from Denver to LA. I was eager to get there, but I got to see some sights on the way.

Day 7, 0 Miles
    I took a day off in Denver, checked over the bike, and hung out.

Day 8, ~620 miles
    This was a long day, but pretty great scenery.

I left Denver around 5:30AM and started a long descent through the mountains. This was pretty cool, although most of the best views were in tight spots where I couldn't easily pull over to take photos.

IMG_4422.jpeg

Right after Green River, there's a stretch of about 110 miles without any services. It's a really cool ride through more mountains, but I got caught in a hard rain for about 20 minutes. I pushed through hoping for sunlight on the other side, and luckily I was right. By the time I made it to the gas station on the other side, I'd mostly dried out.

65307286828__D5B62CA9-984B-452E-B459-C4D9F9471C97.jpeg

I made my way through Utah until I got near Zion and set up camp at a great site.

IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg

Day 9, ~420 miles

I woke up early hoping to get through the desert before it got too hot. I made it to Nevada around the time the sun started coming up.

IMG_4429.jpeg

I plugged along through the desert, but it started getting hot around Baker.

IMG_4432.jpeg

The last hour or so getting into LA was pretty rough. Maybe I was tired, but the CA freeways seemed crazy—lots of traffic, sudden lane changes, cars going 90, trucks going 40. But I eventually got off the highway, cruised down some palm tree lined streets and parked outside my new apartment in Venice.

IMG_4433.jpeg

---

Overall, I'd say this trip was definitely a learning experience. If I were to do it again, I'd spend more time on bike prep and I'd give myself a lot more travel time. Having a hard arrival date really screwed me when things went wrong and I missed out on some great riding because I rushed across the west coast.

That said, I'm relieved that I made it and I do feel a bit accomplished.
  8. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    Great job! You did it; which is, what it's all about! You are in a good location for trips to enjoy CA and the west!
    Ginger Beard and Aiden like this.