Crossing Dakota

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Black Hills, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    I understand your concern, unfortunately I'm not much help. Other will probably disagree, but in my opinion I would take a big bike on the DAKAL. Mainly because my 300 sucks on anything relatively smooth and fast (most of the route). as for single track, it is fairly concentrated in the middle of the hills and doesn't really go anywhere. more like riding in circles all day. I think you can enjoy the hills on whatever bike you ride, but the experiences are going to be totally different. below are the Black hills trail maps. I will do my best to answer any questions.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5111869

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_012663
  2. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    I too might be taking my KTM on the DAKAL sometime next year, trailering out or riding the TSDAT late June, July or August ..
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear there is interest in this. Maybe we can get a small-medium group together. I will try to remember to keep this thread alive over the winter.
  4. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting watched the movie a couple of times now, Several statements of easy to expert:scratch

Is this doable for a novice rider on a smaller DS250? Lighter weight but less carrying capacity more likely to trailer to starting point.

What percentage is paved vs unpaved?

Camping vs hotel/motel less gear to haul on smaller bike?

This should help keep me busy this winter.

Starting to find more info the more I poke around
    http://dakotaadventureloop.com/
  5. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden some of the tougher stuff North of Sturgis. I am subscribed to this thread and waiting to see what happens.
  6. bigjammer

bigjammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 1190 adventure R and a buddy has a Tenure another buddy a new 1200 GSA we are intermediate riders, it look's like it would not be to bad of ride?? Am I thinking right?? What are your opinions??
  7. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DAKAL would be fine. Some of the trails we did I think would be a challenge. I was on DRZ 400 and my riding buddy was on a WR 250.
  8. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should be fine.
  9. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at doing this next mid-June with a small group. All of us have big twin bikes and a few of us have 250 (WR, XR-L's, etc.) or big singles. I'm wondering if it would actually be more fun on the small bikes.

The questionable part to me is the open sections on the north loop: looks like big bike territory. I used to live in the Hills, so I understand the terrain, but that was a long time ago. And I haven't ridden north of Spearfish. What I have ridden on the southern loop looks like it would be well suited to lightweight touring on a small bike. I'm also thinking we'll leave most of our gear at a central location so we really only need 1-2 nights of gear. Very minimal. That would make the more technical options a breeze and possibly allow us to do some bonus single track in the central area.

I'm sure a big bike can do it, but for those that have ridden it, what are your thoughts? Take the beast or be super nimble?
  10. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    From http://dakotaadventureloop.com/

What type of bike should I ride?
    Any dual purpose motorcycle of 450cc to 1200cc will be suitable. A limited number of sections will be a challenge on bikes of 950cc and larger.
    All bikes must be street legal, have a valid license plate, and have travel permits and passes from Black Hills National Forest and Custer State Park.
    Bike gearing should allow sustained highway speeds of 60 mph.
    Bikes need a range of 205 miles or you should carry extra gas.

Recommended tires would be 70/30 slanted toward off-road dirt.

What type of terrain will we be riding?
    Riding includes lots of two-track trails with a mix of dirt and rocks. Many county gravel roads are included, which vary from poor quality to high speed gravel. The paved roads on the route are some very special road riding. You will find a compact pair of binoculars a valuable tool. Riders should be of intermediate skill level. This route is not recommended as your first adventure/dual-sport ride.

I have not ridden this yet but hope to do so next year, Appears 450cc is considered minimum but if attempted it will be either KLX250 or KLX400 because that's what I have. I would prefer the 250 but would need to get a bigger tank and different gearing figured out first.
  11. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I can't tell the skill or ego everyone has but, I've ridden the DakAL several times. Often leading others riding 250's - 1200's. I a-l-w-a-y-s ride my WR 250r. Never, have I been told I'm riding too slow or holding the group up...even on the pavement.

A majority of the ride can be done on big bikes. But, there are a few places where it's a bitch.

I'm glad this wasn't a GS

[​IMG]
  12. bark sampler

bark sampler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sleddog. I appreciate that feedback. I went back and looked at your previous ride report and a few others and I think the small bikes would just be more fun. The big heavy twins just add stress when you have a group picking through the technical sections. Same thing with the super slippery mud if it rains. Someone will go down (harder) and something will most certainly break (bigger).

I've ridden off road since I was 10 and now I get mail from AARP. In that time I can only think of a few short sections off road where I wanted something more than a 200. The road is different, but it sure looks like the paved sections in DAKAL wouldn't require it. I'm going with your experience to back my decision to prep the 250! Thanks!
  13. Iffykid

Iffykid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Sleddog, KLX250 it is.
    Has Paul said anything about doing this again?
  14. Abercrombie

Abercrombie Stuck in ND looking for adventure

Oddometer:
    I will be checking out this area next June 15th - 18th while attending the Dakota Dual Sport Riders June rally based out of Deadwood. My goal is to ride the DakAL late next summer or 2018 on the Tenere or XR650L.
    FirstPath likes this.
  15. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to ride this on the DR. I have a trip to Maine in July but would look at this in September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Yes, he has.
  17. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sleddog knows what he's talking about.
  18. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    A bid a week off in September to do this ride. Pretty sure it is the week ending on the 16th. I'll find out tomorrow if I got my picks.
    FirstPath likes this.
  19. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:

I suspect HBL might be up for this as well. He did this or something similar last year on the same weekend as Shindig.
    HBL and barnyard like this.
  20. Abercrombie

Abercrombie Stuck in ND looking for adventure

Oddometer:
    I retire on September 7th. Riding the DakAL would be a great retirement kickoff!
    FirstPath likes this.