Crossing I-80 Mid-October

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by lake_harley, Sep 28, 2019.

1. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    You could always buy it and sell it later at a 30% loss.
  2. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks once again for all of the replies, suggestions and warnings. Since I prefer not to turn this trip into a nightmare I'm thinking the southern route (I-40) is the way to go rather than I-80. Just mapping it out a bit from home, it looks like Amarillo is about 800 miles for the first day. Then about 750 to Kingman the second, which would get me through what I believe to be the higher country at Flagstaff during a warmer part of the day. The last day would be a bit over 600 miles to my destination which is about 40 miles East of San Francisco. Feels like I'm almost ready to pull in my sister's driveway!:lol3

I'll just save the North and Northwest areas for another (warmer) season. For now I need to do some more reading up on the various areas I've mentioned and start watching weather reports to get an idea of the general weather along my intended route.

Thanks again everyone!

Lynn
  3. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    I80 is a chore and not scenic. Except maybe echo canyon and elk mountain.
  4. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Weather Underground, Dark Sky, and wyoroad.info actually work better.
  5. Blakebird

Blakebird r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer:
    I ride both 80 and 40 (and 50 and 70...) frequently getting to and from the coast.
    The southerly choice is probably a good idea this time of year - I just rode to the coast and did I-40 because of the big snowstorms hitting MT/ID at the time.
    You might still hit weather at Flagstaff that could slow your day down.

Living in CO heated gear is one of those "don't leave home without it" things on almost any bike trip any time of year - but I would still look at picking up a vest at the least for a trip this time of year.
  6. lake_harley

lake_harley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd post the result of my trip. I did the southern route, I-44 and I-40 then I-5, and just got home this evening. I was gone 9 days total and rode 6 of them....3 out and 3 back for a total of 4325 miles. Had some chilly mornings but only one was outright cold getting going. That was leaving Seligman, AZ on the way back home to MO. The temp showed 31 degrees on the BMW's dash and didn't get above 40 for hours! I'll admit I was cold without heat on anything but the seat and grips, but I stopped an "extra" time to warm up with coffee and to stand out of the wind and in the sun in front of a convenience store for a bit.

The trip was pretty much like flying; hours of not much going on with an occasional tense moment. The only thing that would even be considered a close call was of my own making. I was quickly closing in on a car in front of me and realized at the last moment that there was someone right next to me when I almost switched lanes to pass the car in front. That got me back on focus for the rest of the trip!

Worst part of the trip was traffic jams on I-40 because of accidents. The worst was 7 miles long and it was stop and go the entire distance. Maybe I could have gone down the shoulder but I decided to just stay in line like everyone else. I probably used up 20,000 miles worth of clutch and brakes in those 7 miles!

Thanks again for all the input about the I-80 route question I originally asked. The advice to be wary of I-80 was completely sound advice and I'm glad I used the Southern route.

Thanks.

Lynn
    pratered, ROAD DAMAGE and Blakebird like this.
  7. 1Gopokes1

1Gopokes1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    ugliest part of wyoming

high winds and potential cold
  8. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Good to hear the trip went well. I think 80's been closed once already, if that tells you anything.
    lake_harley likes this.