Crossing Provincial borders during lockdowns

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borderlinebob, May 24, 2020.

1. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    So I sit here right on the border with USA and just a bit from Manitoba border.
    Obviously any plans to go south are on hold. (Till at least June 21). Then ??

So thinking of riding to my son’s place in Calgary then doing some mountain riding in BC.

Seems you can find a write up / report to say whatever you want (or don’t want) to hear, regarding border crossings.
    I think ON to MB no problem, and SK to AB not sure, (Sask seems open).
    I read conflicting info bout AB into BC

Can folks who live by, or have “ACTUALLY “ done these crossings post their experiences or local knowledge please.

Also if you know if campgrounds open to out of province travellers yet?
    Will be extremely helpful info.

Thanks a lot to whomever responds.
    BB
    James11 likes this.
  2. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    BC just announced that Provincial Campgrounds will have camping spots available to BC residents only. But there are lots of wild camping spots in the hinterland. I have not heard of any restrictions coming into BC but I have heard drivers were stopped and asked where they were going, hopefully someone can elaborate on this.
    CCitis and borderlinebob like this.
  3. SaSaMCKZ

SaSaMCKZ Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can only speak of BC as I live here. Although I haven't crossed the border, I do see a lot of Alberta and SK plates here. I'm on Vancouver Island and we only have 1 person in hospital and no new cases in the past 2 weeks. Some of the smaller communities are asking people not to visit just yet. Things are slowly starting to open up - most campgrounds are day use only at this time. I believe some private campgrounds are open. Some hotels are open, I would check websites.

https://www.discovercamping.ca/bccweb/

http://britishcolumbia.com/plan-your-trip/campgrounds-rv-parks/
    borderlinebob likes this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to follow up with the BC/AB border question, yes there are all kinds of Alberta plates on the roads around here, Lower Mainland and Okanagan, clearly there are no provincial crossing restrictions at this time. M/C riding seems to have gathered tremendous steam also, bikes out everywhere.
    borderlinebob likes this.
  5. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Government of Canada says the border is still closed to non essential travel until June 21st (at this time).
    To cross over you will need proof that you are not sick, (doctors note) and be prepared to be in a 14 day quarantine before you can be released for travel.

According to the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA), U.S. citizens or foreign nationals will only be allowed to enter Canada if they’re asymptomatic, their purpose for entry is not “optional or discretionary,” and they’re able to comply with the requirement to quarantine for 14 days.

https://apple.news/Az2VEAyJnR7mm3GaqkGWEFw
  6. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    Yup, thanks for link.
    Aware of that as I can see the US from my roof.

Asking about provincial borders west of ON
    gpfan likes this.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    And on the other end of the country....if you step off the NS/NL ferry in either direction you must have a valid reason for entry and a 14 day quarantine plan. If not .....it's back on the boat yee come from.
    Yes, I know that is not where you was asking about but there may be other people wondering about the east as well.
    So far camping in parks will be limited to self contained RVs as no washroooms/showers/cookhouses will be available.
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  8. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Oops. Reading comprehension was never my strong point
    Lol
  9. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    Absolutely good to know Murph
    I’m not heading that way... Yet.
    But there must be somebody thinking of heading that way and this info will help them plan.
    Thanks
    BB
  10. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    Hey, your link will “benefit “ somebody for sure, so thanks for contributing.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  11. CDMAN

CDMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a good thread. Although not heading west but and looking to head to the east coats as soon as possible.

I believe the original post is looking for status of borders plus good routes to ride.
    Hope you have a good trip, save safe.
  12. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Campgrounds in AB are closed to non-AB residents. unless things have changed they also shut down tent camping since the washrooms and shower facilities are closed.

People are “roughing it” outside of campgrounds. Haven’t heard of any issues.

Bring your own TP. It can be difficult to find an open public washroom.

There’s been reports of cars with AB plates being vandalized in BC. Not sure if this is a widespread thing or if it just happened once and is being blown out of proportion.
  13. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    I believe in ON currently campgrounds can only take in seasonal fully self contained campers.
    No overnighters, no washrooms, showers.

I thought of “stealth” tenting but may face the out of province resentment you mentioned you heard about in BC, so that could get dicey?

Can tent in my sons back yard once I make it to Calgary and maybe just do day rides from there.

I agree, finding proper toilet facilities may be the biggest challenge.
    Can always find groceries so won’t go hungry.

Gonna have to get creative and make some compromises to ride cross different provinces this summer for sure.
    I’ve thought of looking at the “Tent spaces” list on the site here, but under current situation I don’t feel it’s even fair to ask any one to stay on their property.

Hope I can put a plan together but if not I won’t cry.
    I know there’s folks really hurting and suffering right now so in the big picture a motorcycle trip is really an extravagance I suppose
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  14. shanekingsley

shanekingsley Motoman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread.

In mid-September I was hoping to ride from Toronto area to visit my sis in Vancouver and then ride south along the coast to LA area. I was also planning on staying in campgrounds and parks as much as possible.

Will certainly keep my eyes on this thread as the weeks roll on by.

Stay safe everyone.
    Ronzo69 likes this.
  15. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Seeing Alberta plates means nothing, I see them daily in NS.. And yes there are still restrictions between provinces. And no out of province campers in BC.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/provinces-travel-restrictions-border-checkpoints-1.5561074

https://www.discoverairdrie.com/local/bc-says-no-to-out-of-province-campers-this-summer

And good luck for an American trying to get into Canada anytime soon..

16. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but I don't live in a vacuum nor under a rock. I also travel quite a bit, taking all precautions. The AB plates I am seeing are all over the sw quarter of BC. Some of them actually belong to neighbours with seasonal houses near my own. Many are friends. So, it does mean something, doncha think? I spent 2 hrs last week speaking with neighbors from Alberta, who are the only 2 folks I am aware of who contracted the Covid 19 virus. They suffered through 4 weeks of hell recovering and believe they came into contact through a friend, who moonlights as a cabbie. These folks and another 1/2 dozen had traveled from Alberta 4-5 days before we met up over the fence.
    If you read the discoverairdrie link it refers to Provincial Parks only, which are about 10-20% (I made that number up) of the available camp sites in BC......it's a big place, eh?
  17. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    This is where it gets hard (links to government campgrounds) to get accurate info in regards to “private” campgrounds.

I read SK private camps can not let out of province campers in.

Closest KOA (TBay) ON had posted could take “no” overnights, just seasonal campers.

Fairly easy to find a link regarding the different provincial parks (but is it current info?) but sussing out info on private more difficult.
  18. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't judge people on what they are doing by their license plates.The government says restrict non essential travel then the news agencies post pics and stories of out of province plates and blame it on people not being respectful.There are tons of people that commute between AB and BC,myself included,and it is creating tension to the point where people are having vehicles vandalized and verbal abuse.Things need to tone down a bit or it will get much worse.
    Northern Ninja and Kamloopsrider like this.
  19. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    For sure some people WAY to paranoid over this.
    It’s getting like China where citizens spying on each other and calling the guvmint

Locally the mayor had to make a public announcement explaining why some MB and US plates in our town and was no conspiracy where people were hauling carloads of the virus in.
    Was to do with huge “ongoing” construction project and some returning snowbirds who drove their US registered vehicles home instead of flying.
    Bunch of busybodies really.

Anyway thanks all for dropping info in here.
    Would be “great” if as tenting/campgrounds to out of province folks came available in your area, you let the rest of us know.
  20. windplay

windplay Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live near the TCAT here in NW Ont and crownland camping is still banned even for residents. Ont should make an update May 31 or June 21. The local provincial park (Ojibway) is closed to everybody at the momment. Even camping on a boat totally self-contained in a little spaceship is not allowed. Makes no sense...I guess Toronto is in charge and forgets that we exist. Time to separate!
    Meet@Trudys and Ronzo69 like this.