Crossing Provincial borders during lockdowns

Discussion in 'Canada' started by borderlinebob, May 24, 2020.

1. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this post, I had heard this was the case but was not positive. I had heard that outsiders needed to apply for a permit, as a result we postponed our trip until next year. Bummer. Looking at doing a tour around Elliot Lake, Wawa and Chapleau. This was something I have looked at doing for years now but because it was so close it always got pushed off for more exotic locations.
  3. Tothelake

Tothelake Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a cottage just across the Manitoba border in Ontario. On the May long there were people camped on crown land close to our boat launch and more on an island on the next lake. Crossing the border there were Manitoba Conservation officers handing out paperwork in both directions. No evidence of any Ontario government folks doing anything at the border. It seems that Ontario is really lax on enforcing any of their policies......no presence at the border and no enforcement of their rules. I guess that's why Doug can go to his cottage and have his family over for Mother's day........
    gpfan likes this.
  4. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you’re from southern Ontario the western border is two days drive into the wilderness. Nothing up there but lumberjacks and samsquanches.
    James11, ACR, Bayner and 1 other person like this.
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Lots of Come from Aways have summer homes here in the outports but so far the NL govt is not allowing them in. Pretty sure it will be challenged as a few of them are Tronna lawyers.
  6. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I'll be travelling on the bike from NB to ON soon. I won't have any issue crossing borders as it is for work and I have the necessary documents if required to ensure I don't have any issues at the borders. I don't plan on stopping except for fuel and If I don't make it to my destination in one go I will bush camp along the way as I don't want to stay in hotels. I have to avoid people not because of CV19 but because of over blown responses and I'll need to travel a fair amount in the next month. Let's see how this all works out.
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels, I think you'll find there aren't really very many overzealous types out there, even those that are can be quite vocal. I think with CV19 transmission it's more about conduct and behavior and knowledge than about borders. I also travel, mostly around BC and always take full precautions not just for my own good but also for the good of others I may never even meet.
  8. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Trying to gather more info in regards to travelling from west edge of ON thru MB & SK.
    My brother called private campgrounds out there.
    For MB, The KOA (not staying there but at least he answered his phone) on east edge of Winnipeg said folks “travelling thru” can stay (up to 3 days?) but no week long stuff. Said ok to go get groceries and beer but if we went shopping (ya right) would have to quarantine 14 days? ( not sure where!)
    Pretty confusing info.
    SK campground he contacted—- straight forward....NO, unless SK resident
  9. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    gpfan and Ronzo69 like this.
  10. Ronzo69

Ronzo69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the same boat.
    Definitely changed my plans.
    Although I am hoping we can cross borders by early fall. Otherwise it’ll be next year.
    Thanks for posting link.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  11. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    I’m starting to believe Trump that it’s fake news. :imaposer
    Just can’t avoid reading or hearing conflicting info.
    The way my brother explained that the guy at KOA in Manitoba explained seemed like if you just passing thru to next province can go but if spending time in MB to shop or visit or something had to do the 14 days.

So that’s 3rd hand info now.
    1-KOA guy to my bro
    2- Bro to me
    3- me to you

So don’t t plan your trip based on this post.:jack
    shuswap1 likes this.
  12. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    Here’s a summation posted yesterday by CBC news. I guess one has to assume as to its accuracy. This info is in the link above by “great white north”
    —————————————————————————————————

But before hitting the road or booking a flight, it's important to first check the rules of the province you want to visit.

Currently, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick and the territories are banning visitors from other provinces.

Provinces in the rest of Canada are advising against non-essential travel, but their borders are still open to Canadian travellers.

Visitors to Manitoba and Nova Scotia, however, will first have to self-isolate for 14-days — a rule that's likely to keep many people away.
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  13. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    We were hoping to have an Atlantic provinces "bubble" as there is discussion as to a NS/NB/PEI travel allowance but so far our premier is saying no. There is alot of tourism dollars that are not flowing but I consider the numbers in the Maritimes to be low enough to allow it.
    AngusMcL likes this.
  14. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:

It's true that the NWT is not allowing visitors from other provinces. There was talk of a 'travel bubble' between the three Territories, but if The Yukon opens their BC border, as has been mentioned, the NWT and Nunavut will no longer include The Yukon in the bubble.
  15. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interestingly, a cycle ride through campsites at Shuswap Lake Provincial Park resulted in the spotting of a number of campsites with Alberta plates (only) on vehicles and trailers. So much for the BC residents only rule this summer, previously announced by the Provincial Gov't.
    68vette likes this.
  16. borderlinebob

Oddometer:
    And the confusion / miss information continues eh.

Kinda like weather apps on your phone.
    Use a few different and you can always find one to say what you want.
    grashopper and shuswap1 like this.
  17. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    I'm doing an Alberta only trip this year July other than a overnight into Saskatchewan near Elkwater. I'm bush camping the whole time since between reservations being impossible many campgrounds won't take tents due to washrooms being closed. I'm camping just outside the provincial park borders so no one can say no. I just can't enjoy a campfire.
    If I come across a campground that lets me stay with a tent, fine but otherwise free stealth camping here we come. I have used satellite images, Google street view etc to do my homework and have viable spots for 8 nights.
    James11 and Cal like this.
  18. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional individual campground relaxes the "no tents" rule if they're not full. Take a good look for piles of used toilet paper in those spots in case somebody had the same idea before you.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was planning a big trip through Southern Sask and Man. Then South to the MOA ralley and a Zig Zaggy route home. Covid killed that plan. Then I thought I would still go East and then a big circle hitting spots I haven't seen before, I still could I guess but I think I'm just going to play at home this summer. Lots of BC I haven't seen as well, Maybe Bella Coola is nice in early fall.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Calvin,

Tenting is permitted in provincial parks. In the campgrounds that are open, outhouses, and where available, flush toilets are all open for visitors’ use. Showers remain closed for the time being.

https://albertaparks.ca/albertaparksca/news-events/response-to-covid-19/

Remember to continue to maintain physical distance of 2m around others who aren’t part of your household or cohort family, and not gather in groups >50.

Please continue to follow all Alberta Health guidelines when visiting our parks.

I hope this answers your question.

Stay well,

Alberta Parks

Received this a few days ago